PDA

View Full Version : Never buy from JDM Engine Depot

Vr-4-Life
01-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I just thought I'd share my bad experience so far...

As most of you know, I daily drive a del sol with a swap and turbo. The car has had a jdm d15b in it for the past 5 years. That motor was purchased from www.hmotorsonline.com and it has been flawless. I recently lost oil pressure and that caused the motor to knock and blow. I quickly garaged it and started to pull it out.

I had to decide where to get a motor from. I decided to go the local cheap route and buy from JDM Engine Depot dispute all of the bad reviews I read online.

I called and asked how many obd1 jdm d15b's were in stock because I wanted to hand pick and I was told that they had 10. After coming they only had 1 ob1 version in stock. I was left with no other choice but I got it for 400 dollars out the door with no tax.

I brought the motor home and started to tear down my old one. I quickly learned that my newly purchased motor had 0 compression in all four cylinders.

I called JDM Engine Depot and I was told that I needed to fax pictures, copy of ASE, reciept, and a description of the problem over. I did and I was allowed to bring the motor back. I told them I'd come on Saturday...

All was well and I was pissed about the motor, but I understand **** happens... All was well until Friday.... I got a call saying that they were out of jdm d15b's and they wanted to give me a jdm d16a instead.

I was a little pissed because I didnt want to have to tune for 100CC's and I was also pissed that I wasnt getting the motor that I wanted, but I went for it and came Saturday.

After pulling my motor in... I was waiting around for 3 hours before I was even helped. All I needed to do was a compression test on my new motor, and have them pull the trans off, but they helped customer after customer like I wasnt even there.

Also I made it pointed it out 10X on the phone and in email that i had a d15b and I was going to a d16a.. The manager said he didn't know I had a 1.5 and that I was going to a 1.6 so he wanted to change me the difference of 150 bucks. That really pissed me off because he knew what I had and what I was offered. He wouldn't let me just get my money back, and I couldn't do a fair trade... Also new valve cover on the d16a was dented and I wasnt allowed to swap the old one over.. I'd be really pissed if I didnt have a spare at home.

What could I do.. I met him half way and paid 100 bucks for the new motor. 500 all said and done for a jdm 1.6 d16a isn't that bad and most importers charge 600 or so for them..

So here I am.. I just got the new d16a home today and all I know is the compression is good.. I didnt get to pull the oil pan off, but I'm going to pray the bearings and valves and all are ok.. I have another 30 day warranty on the motor so hopefully I dont have any problems.

I'm going to burn any bridges and talk **** about these guys because they did try to help.. I just wish they would have thrown me more of a bone. Hopefully my new motor works out and lasts... I wouldnt buy from them again.

93EGY8
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
why didnt you have them check the compression on the first motor??? they do it there as a service dont they?? * at least that's what they did with my buddies H22A. sucks you had a bad experience.. i always thought they were a good shop... guess there going down the ****ter

Vr-4-Life
01-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I was told that they couldnt do it because the jump starter that they use for cranking the starter was dead...

DC2.2GSR
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
if they told you their jump box was dead, they were making an excuse to get you out the door. when i bought my H22a (the one 93EGY8 is talking about) i told them i wanted a compression test done in front of me. the guy sorta gave me a hard time about it at first (said "no no no, these are good motors!) but i just told him very bluntly that he wouldn't be making a sale unless i got it tested. he hooked it up and tested it and everything was great so i bought it. overall, i'd recommend buying stuff from them, but they can be dicks.

Vr-4-Life
01-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah... I know what you mean...

My new motor started up last night for the first time and it seems to run smooth. Hopefully I get a long life out of it.. I have no idea about the oil pressure or bottom end..

01NightHawk
09-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Bumping this.

A friend purchased a motor from there for a car i'm swapping. After finishing up some other projects, I went and removed the timing covers to start replacing seals and swap gears to find that it has a new belt - and every TDC point is facing another direction. They refuse to warranty the motor.