PDA

View Full Version : how does everyone suit up in the cold

ho1ywars
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
so i went tonight for a ride, missing the bike. its was about thirty out.

thermal socks
long jons and jeans
two themral shirts
hoodie
ridingjacket
and some ****ty ass gloves

i froze my ass off. whats everyones secret? whats a good winter riding glove.. mostly my hands get cold. i borrowed a pair of my dads winter gloves but they are so huge and thick i have trouble using the turn signals... haha

crazy2sin
01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I rode to work today, at 4am i had on jeans, reg socks, hoodie, leather jacket, my winter riding gloves and my dickies coveralls. I was just fine minus my ankles were a lil cold but no biggie

95SC2
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
i pretty much just wear t-shirt/long sleeve thermal/riding jacket with jeans an my boots. Also have a mask so my neck is warm an just use my regular fox gloves. I just try to keep my upper body warm mainly.

93EGY8
01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
i keep my **** in the garage until it hits 50 plus lol

Xavier
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
I've ridden down to 0 degrees, it's all about keeping the cold wind off skin/thin materials. A good set of thermals to start you off, regular clothes, riding gear on top. The most important parts for me to protect, for endurance, are legs, hands, and neck. For your neck, find a balaclava that has a nice overhang that you can either tuck into your shirt/jacket and that is long enough to hang and keep the wind out. For your hands, a nice set of insulated cold weather gloves, while a little uncomfortable when working controls, will make a huge difference over a pair of thin leather summer gloves. Once those two are covered I find my only problem is my legs getting cold. Depending on the temp I might double up on the thermals and/or jeans. I'd like to stop this by getting a full set of leathers... but that is expensive.

crazy2sin
01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Sucks i cant tuck to get out of the wind like streetbikes

drkramm
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
a pair of rubber surgical gloves does wonders on keeping your hands warm (use as liners with normal riding gloves)

jpalamar
01-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I wear think socks and leather shoes, jeans or dress pants if I'm on my way to work, hoodie with the hood up under my leather jacket, helmet as usual, and some cheap gloves I got at target. Only part of me that gets cold is my hips.

crazyukrainian
01-08-2010, 01:04 AM
i specially picked up thick warm gloves and yet apparently they're not so warm cause my hands still get cold as ****.... :(

thats about it though, with 2 pairs of jeans, boots, jacket with maybe a sweater under it, scarf tucked under jacket to keep it in place, helmet, and gloves and im basically fine except for my hands. having a naked has its drawbacks, but i'll be loving it in summer :)

speaking of which though, should i get better gloves or invest in heated grips? i cant imagine that grips would help with windchill on the outside of the hand (grip being on inside) and i dont feel like doing the surgical glove thing (have heard of before and def good to know in case you need it, but for everyday thats a bit ghetto)

drkramm
01-08-2010, 07:31 AM
i specially picked up thick warm gloves and yet apparently they're not so warm cause my hands still get cold as ****.... :(

thats about it though, with 2 pairs of jeans, boots, jacket with maybe a sweater under it, scarf tucked under jacket to keep it in place, helmet, and gloves and im basically fine except for my hands. having a naked has its drawbacks, but i'll be loving it in summer :)

speaking of which though, should i get better gloves or invest in heated grips? i cant imagine that grips would help with windchill on the outside of the hand (grip being on inside) and i dont feel like doing the surgical glove thing (have heard of before and def good to know in case you need it, but for everyday thats a bit ghetto)

main problem is when its cold your body stops slow blood flow to every where but your core .. heated grips will help cause they will heat the inside of your hand which will then heat the middle of your hand which will then heat the outside ..

and i'll gladly be ghetto if it keeps my hands warm and still allows me to operate the motorcycle not like anyone will see them lol there inside your gloves

crazyukrainian
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM
main problem is when its cold your body stops slow blood flow to every where but your core .. heated grips will help cause they will heat the inside of your hand which will then heat the middle of your hand which will then heat the outside ..

and i'll gladly be ghetto if it keeps my hands warm and still allows me to operate the motorcycle not like anyone will see them lol there inside your gloves

that makes sense.... tempted to invest in that now

as for gloves, say i take a chick to starbucks... we get there, i pull off gloves, then am wearing the inner gloves.... and thats where i get the WTF look lol; so yea its helpful but sometimes can be weird...

Xavier
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
See, you gotta stop worrying about what others might think. I couldn't care less what someone else might think when they see me as long as I am comfortable.

drkramm
01-08-2010, 06:43 PM
See, you gotta stop worrying about what others might think. I couldn't care less what someone else might think when they see me as long as I am comfortable.

yea i stopped caring quite some time ago lol the truth will set you free !!! hahaha and the truth is your hands will sweat they get so hot lol

PAFirefighter11
01-09-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't really have a windscreen, no fairings, etc. If it's 40* or less, I am not out in it. But... here's my gear list in winter:

-2 piece Alpinestars suit (perforated leather in crotch, upper arms, back of legs for WARM weather lol)
-Olympic gauntlet style leather cloves with CF knuckles (I tape the vent) w/ thin gloves inside
-TCX Racing boots with one pair of regular socks
-Full face helmet with balaclava for my neck, chin, ears, lower face area
-Under Armor pants and long sleeve shirt
-Multiple layers including Under Armor like turtle neck

Basically, this usually works fine for me. If it's bad enough, I will throw my ski pants over my leather pants and my North Face 3-in-1 winter jacket over my leather jacket. Only thing that normally gives me problems are my fingers (I am buying heated gloved) and my facial area. I am looking at a heated vest possibly soon, but I hate riding in all this salty crap.

Oh, I've been told by friends who used 'em that heated grips don't do ****. You want heated gloves instead.

johnk12845
01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
My dad wears some nice thermal gloves that he got for around $20. He said they keep his hand nice and toasty.

boostedgixxer
01-19-2010, 11:59 PM
i keep my ass off the bike... that my secret

Xavier
01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Not surprised you'd ride a GSX-R. A lot easier to inevitably wreck it in the cold.

piku
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnEibndWyQU

I want it.

Xavier
02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
lol, that **** looks ridiculous.

roadie736
02-24-2010, 03:27 PM
some sort of gloves, neoprene mask, boots, dickie pants, wool socks, underarmor long T and a hoodie. (yes, only that little bit) The only bad part about winter riding is when you warm up and have to go home! I've done snow, rain, sleet, and one day even a hail storm (I ran for cover almost immediately) Single digit temps, low teens, its all a lot of fun as soon as you accept what you're about to go out into. I usually ride all winter long. This winter however, both bikes are out of commission.

92awdtsi
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
normal clothes under, then on top a 1pc alpinestars leather suit. only part that gets a bit nippy is wrists and neck.

PAFirefighter11
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
normal clothes under, then on top a 1pc alpinestars leather suit. only part that gets a bit nippy is wrists and neck.

I feel ya with that. Mine is vented on the upper arms/shoulders and also by my calves. Nice and chilly on colder days, but not bad.