PDA

View Full Version : cranking a d series by wrench

Vr-4-Life
12-31-2009, 01:32 AM
So I was trying to turn my motor by a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and I dont know if I have something to worry about. If I do i'd like to know now while the motor is still out of the car.

when I put a wrench on I can turn the wrench probably 5 inches in each direction and then it gets really hard and I feel like I'm going to knock the motor over.. I tried pulling the plugs out and it didnt help, but I did hear air moving in and out of the plug wells.

How much force should it take to crank a sohc d series? its a jdm d15b... I believ i had a 3\8 inch drive standard wrench on there.

I'm just worried that its seized or something..

DPancoast
12-31-2009, 12:25 PM
if you can move it in both directions, it isn't seized. When you hit that really hard spot, it is most likely the top of the stroke. It's normal. My car (toyota or not...still a motor) had the same thing, it took a lot, but it still turned. Is there oil in the motor?

420sx
12-31-2009, 12:33 PM
if you can move it in both directions, it isn't seized. When you hit that really hard spot, it is most likely the top of the stroke. It's normal. My car (toyota or not...still a motor) had the same thing, it took a lot, but it still turned. Is there oil in the motor?

It should turn pretty freely without the spark plugs in though.

EklipzGSXkid
12-31-2009, 01:25 PM
First off before anything, You should make sure the timing is not off, So your valves aren't binding with the pistons.

Vr-4-Life
12-31-2009, 01:32 PM
The belts on there pretty tight.. I still have to pull the pulley and covers off to check that.. I was just moving easily.. didnt force it.