PDA

View Full Version : Kartboy Short Shifter installed in the Legacy.

Silver04STi
01-11-2006, 02:16 AM
I got it about a week ago and have been too sick to do anything, including going to work. Well today I mustered up the strength and energy to install it. Gotta say it is a very nice piece. Short, precise shifts. Only drove it a short bit to get a feel for it, but it felt very solid each time shifting hard into gear. I also have the shifter bushings, but I gotta get under the car to put those in, should make it even more solid. NVH is increased slightly, but only in the upper RPM's(4500-6500). Hopefully no more missed shifts or at least far fewer.

TehWagon
01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
what's NVR?

once you get the bushings in, you'll have to tell me if you have any trouble with 3rd... i do, and i don't know whether i did something wrong or if that's just the 'nature of the beast'...

don't want to speak out of turn but getting under there SUCKS without a lift, so maybe if chris does another installday soon, you can throw the leg up there and get it done real quick. just PLEASE PLEASE whatever you do, pay attention to the torquing directions when tightening up the bolt on the bushings. i found out the hard way and needed to replace that whole bracket =[

WRX27
01-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Noise, vibration something?... When bushings and mounts are installled this generally increases. I didnt notice a huge difference when i did mine.

WRXD
01-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey I just put my kartboy SS and bushings in a few weeks ago and I love it so far...the only PITA was the metal shifter 'ring' was making contact with the linkage, so I pulled it out and dremelled it down so it clears.

The shifter is great, no extra vibration or noise that I have noticed--the best word I can come up with to describe the shift feel is 'succinct' very crisp, quick and clean, I feel like I am driving a race car or something. 2nd gear is as hard as ever to get into though---one of the Achilles heels of the WRX imo.

TehWagon
01-12-2006, 09:30 AM
you have trouble with 2nd? in shifting from first or downshifting? other than 2nd yielding no power, i have had no trouble with it.
now, putting it back into first if the wheels are spinning even SLIGHTLY... THAT's always been a problem, but i'm hoping a better trans fluid will help that.

WRXD
01-12-2006, 01:11 PM
shifting from 1st-2nd always is harder than upshifting in any other gear, it is in my friends wrx wagon, and all other WRXs ive driven--downshifting to 2nd isnt a problem. 1st gear is always a hard for me too, so I rarely even attempt to downshift into 1st.

S4toSTI
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Don't worry us six speed guys have alittle trouble downshifting into first too.

Orbit
02-25-2006, 10:06 PM
i have the kartboy ss too. works well for me.