PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Ducati Monster 696

Vr-4-Life
11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
So I just picked up an 09 Monster 696 on Saturday... The bikes got a red frame and red tank... Raised handle bars, Full Termi kit with intake exhaust and chip.

I'll throw some pics up soon here and for now they are in my member journal, but I have to say the bike is a blast to ride...

I'll be down to ride up river road, new hope, or around princeton in the country with people. I want to pick up a bluetooth wireless in helmet com system... anyone have any ideas on good ones?

jpalamar
11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Enjoy the new bike. I always like Ducatti bikes, but can't get myself to pull the trigger on one.

enigma
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
hooligan bike. Nice purchase.

OutToWinPAHC
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Nice bike, just sucks this is your real first bike (not counting the 250) and the chances are high your gonna dump it.

Vr-4-Life
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I rode the 250 for awhile and never dumped that. Ive probably got about an hour or more on this so far and it hasnt gone down. Its very easy to control...

I feel like if i dont ride on busy roads, and i dont dick around that i should be fine...

ho1ywars
11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
dont get the bluetooth thing man, you want total focus on the road. if you have to get one though, get the chatterbox. i hear its awesome.

hit me up sometime man, we can ride.

Vr-4-Life
11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Chatter box? I'll look into it.. I def want a full duplex one so I dont have to press a button to speak.. I'd just like to be able to say "lets pull over here or watch out for that pothole" yanno?

We can ride on a warm day... what are you riding now?

drkramm
11-24-2009, 07:31 AM
don't jinx yourself with saying "Ive probably got about an hour or more on this so far and it hasnt gone down. Its very easy to control..." ... most bikes are very easy to control and very ease to drop lol (dropped my first bike like 5 times)

ive looked in to the communication systems for awhile now (years) but have yet to get one always found it easier to just do hand/foot signals .... pulling over is just pointing over to the side of the road or tapping the gas tank ... and road problems ( potholes gravel etc..) is a leg kicked out on what ever side of the road its on ... alot faster then yelling into your radio saying " gravel on the right side" your right or his right lol know what im saying ?

but hey welcome to the duc club .. prepare to have stupid amounts of people tell you that you spent too much money on a bike that isn't any better then a XXXXX ... but we know and anyone with more then one brain cell knows :-)

crazyukrainian
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
heh yea congrats man. ducatis are sex :)

Vr-4-Life
11-24-2009, 12:26 PM
don't jinx yourself with saying "Ive probably got about an hour or more on this so far and it hasnt gone down. Its very easy to control..." ... most bikes are very easy to control and very ease to drop lol (dropped my first bike like 5 times)

ive looked in to the communication systems for awhile now (years) but have yet to get one always found it easier to just do hand/foot signals .... pulling over is just pointing over to the side of the road or tapping the gas tank ... and road problems ( potholes gravel etc..) is a leg kicked out on what ever side of the road its on ... alot faster then yelling into your radio saying " gravel on the right side" your right or his right lol know what im saying ?

but hey welcome to the duc club .. prepare to have stupid amounts of people tell you that you spent too much money on a bike that isn't any better then a XXXXX ... but we know and anyone with more then one brain cell knows :-)

I know exactly what you mean... I constantly hear **** like "my gsxr 750 will run circles around your ducati and it costs less"... people just dont understand ducati enthusiasts...

I never once had an ugly ass gsxr on my mind for months...

Also i'll be very careful not to dump my bike..

ho1ywars
11-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Chatter box? I'll look into it.. I def want a full duplex one so I dont have to press a button to speak.. I'd just like to be able to say "lets pull over here or watch out for that pothole" yanno?

We can ride on a warm day... what are you riding now?

an old ninja. looking for a good deal on a fuel injected cbr though. lemme know man, i still ride to work almost every day.. so weather isnt really an issue with me haha

enigma
11-26-2009, 10:23 PM
I know exactly what you mean... I constantly hear **** like "my gsxr 750 will run circles around your ducati and it costs less"... people just dont understand ducati enthusiasts...

I never once had an ugly ass gsxr on my mind for months...

Also i'll be very careful not to dump my bike..

Hey, watch those ugly ass gixxer comments, my gsxr 750 will run circles around your ducati and it costs less!

Ride safe with it.

drkramm
11-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey, watch those ugly ass gixxer comments, my gsxr 750 will run circles around your ducati and it costs less!

Ride safe with it.

how bout mine ;-) lol j/k

crazyukrainian
11-28-2009, 02:55 AM
heh i have an SV and love ducatis, but cant help but post this :)

Vr-4-Life
11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Hahaha thats awesome and I saved a copy of it...

Anyhow... I took the bike out today to New Hope and I'm down for a ride tomorrow as well.. Anyone else want to meet up and cruise to New Hope?

OutToWinPAHC
11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Would, but mines in pieces. It's currently hanging in the air with no wheels or forks.

trista
11-28-2009, 11:37 PM
mmm C:

Vr-4-Life
11-29-2009, 02:15 PM
:) who wants to ride today.

trista
11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
bwhahaah me me me!

crazyukrainian
11-29-2009, 07:53 PM
i was thinking about going out but had 2 hrs of sleep and too much work to catch up on..... :(

Vr-4-Life
11-29-2009, 11:42 PM
bwhahaah me me me!

lol you dont have a bike... do you?

i was thinking about going out but had 2 hrs of sleep and too much work to catch up on..... :(

you should ride sometime... I rode out to Yarley today to grab a coffee.. I really like riding my bike.

crazyukrainian
11-29-2009, 11:55 PM
yea we all do.... however being a workaholic and in college tends to get in the way. i occasionally just come home at whatever hour, get on it and cruise around for a few hours, so i get my occasional doseage of bike :)

enigma
11-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Careful in new-hope, I hear the police are pretty unfrendly to bikes with ANY exhaust modifications.

EvlEgl
11-30-2009, 01:28 AM
You know...The Same Ugly Ass Suzuki Comment could be made about your Brand New Ducati...So Watch yourself ;)

Nice Bike, And Good Luck with it, Cant say I'd drop coin on a Duc for a Second Bike but Hey, My first bike I ever rode was a ZX7...SO just ride safe be smart AGATT And Keep the RUbber Side Down.

ravens9322
11-30-2009, 03:37 AM
pics ftw

drkramm
11-30-2009, 07:52 AM
once its warm out again i'll go for a ride lol my bike is in pieces also for the winter

trista
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM
aww you said ride..

Vr-4-Life
11-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Careful in new-hope, I hear the police are pretty unfrendly to bikes with ANY exhaust modifications.

My exhaust is sold by Ducati and it is pretty low toned compared to every bike i hear there lol... Thanks for the tip though

You know...The Same Ugly Ass Suzuki Comment could be made about your Brand New Ducati...So Watch yourself ;)

Nice Bike, And Good Luck with it, Cant say I'd drop coin on a Duc for a Second Bike but Hey, My first bike I ever rode was a ZX7...SO just ride safe be smart AGATT And Keep the RUbber Side Down.

Anyone who would call an italian bike ugly must have bad taste lol

pics ftw

in time

once its warm out again i'll go for a ride lol my bike is in pieces also for the winter

whyy? what could you possibly need to take that bike apart for? lol

aww you said ride..

as in passenger? oh... not much room for one on this bike lol

drkramm
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
whyy? what could you possibly need to take that bike apart for? lol

to change the oil i have to remove the brake side fairings .. then to pull the battery the clutch side might do some exhaust work this winter so i just left everything off (gonna have to stip it again in the spring anyway to get the battery back in)

crazyukrainian
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
why pull the battery? winter storage? i just take my bike out every once in a while and run it....

TurboTagTeam
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I rode out to Yarley today to grab a coffee.

LOL... just because thats the typical Ducati steriotype.

Didnt go down River RD?

New Hope is not nearly as strict as they used to be about exhausts. My bike is pretty damn loud at speed and I'v never had a problem.

drkramm
11-30-2009, 07:05 PM
why pull the battery? winter storage? i just take my bike out every once in a while and run it....

yea winter storage .. what tires do you have ? i have dc3's and they will not grip at all when road temps go in the 40's .. unless i run a redunkulus pressure. i get no joy out of riding in the cold lol can't get on the throttle hard can't hit turns hard .. i'll just wait till its nice out lol

Vr-4-Life
11-30-2009, 08:08 PM
LOL... just because thats the typical Ducati steriotype.

Didnt go down River RD?

New Hope is not nearly as strict as they used to be about exhausts. My bike is pretty damn loud at speed and I'v never had a problem.

hahah I rode there on Saturday, but the problem is I got to Yardley and it started getting dark. I cant ride in the dark with my permit so I grabbed a coffee and went home... I like that starbucks there.. I can have a coffee and look out at the lake lol

yea winter storage .. what tires do you have ? i have dc3's and they will not grip at all when road temps go in the 40's .. unless i run a redunkulus pressure. i get no joy out of riding in the cold lol can't get on the throttle hard can't hit turns hard .. i'll just wait till its nice out lol

I have ths stock tires that came on the monster... I havent noticed any traction issues, but then again I'm a very slow beginner. I locked the rear wheel on a ramp once and slid but that was really bad pavement as well.

you seem to know your bikes man... Do u recommend getting sliders or anything else to protect the bike? Its so clean I'm scared I'll dump it.. almost like I get worried every time I take it out that it will get scratched lol

I'm the same way with my Vr4.. it sits in the garage under a cover with 3 coats of wax...

drkramm
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
hahah I rode there on Saturday, but the problem is I got to Yardley and it started getting dark. I cant ride in the dark with my permit so I grabbed a coffee and went home... I like that starbucks there.. I can have a coffee and look out at the lake lol

I have ths stock tires that came on the monster... I havent noticed any traction issues, but then again I'm a very slow beginner. I locked the rear wheel on a ramp once and slid but that was really bad pavement as well.

you seem to know your bikes man... Do u recommend getting sliders or anything else to protect the bike? Its so clean I'm scared I'll dump it.. almost like I get worried every time I take it out that it will get scratched lol

I'm the same way with my Vr4.. it sits in the garage under a cover with 3 coats of wax...

i also have twice the hp and tq as you do and only weigh about 15 pounds more lol (dyno'd 191hp 90 ftlb's to the wheel)

sliders are a good idea but they don't protect everything .. there frame sliders not bike sliders and i've seen pictures of bike that have slid on sliders and had no damage then pictures of ones with sliders where the slider got caught and then rolled the bike ... if you do get sliders read up on them and don't be stingy ... i had them on one of my bikes (not the one i crashed though) don't have them on my duc now

Vr-4-Life
11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Your bike may be 10X sexier and faster, but at least I can sit on mine and not kill my ball sack haaha

Do you recommend any brand sliders? I was going to get whatever FBF had.

TurboTagTeam
12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Get urethane ones that WILL be destroyed in a slide. The metal ones are a JOKE and do more harm than good... They tend to dig in and flip the bike causing allot more damage than if you never had any sliders at all. You want the sliders to absorb as much of the energy as you can.

Vr-4-Life
12-01-2009, 12:49 AM
what do they usually prevent damage to? just the lower frame?

drkramm
12-01-2009, 06:00 AM
what do they usually prevent damage to? just the lower frame?

if the stars align they will save your frame/gastank/ and engine case's (clutch/stator/waterpump) ...

oh and have you riddin the 1198 ? lol only thing uncomfortable about it is the tiny ass gas tank and lack of any heat shielding around the vertical cylinders' header.. if im going any distance i just let go of the clutch and sit back a lil or rest my arm on the tank and lay on that ...
could use a thicker seat though lol but ive never had any pains from any of my sport bikes

Vr-4-Life
12-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm still unsure if I should get them or not.

I sat on a 1198 S and it was pretty uncomfortable lol

I was between my bike and the 09 aprillia shiver 750... I chose mine just because of how comfortable it is.

driftingrx5.7
12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
pics ftw

+1:wink:

Vr-4-Life
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Pics!

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90760&highlight=ducati

crazyukrainian
12-02-2009, 01:13 AM

i have no idea honestly LOL

but i take mine out at those temps mainly to get it running, so im taking it mad, MAD easy. not so much for joy of feeling the bike's limits but the joy of actually being on a bike to begin with :)

crazyukrainian
12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm still unsure if I should get them or not.

I sat on a 1198 S and it was pretty uncomfortable lol

I was between my bike and the 09 aprillia shiver 750... I chose mine just because of how comfortable it is.

i woulda taken the shiver no questions asked. except for that whole 'not having a dealer within 200 miles thing' :P

sry for 2posts btw

Vr-4-Life
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
There is a dealer in princeton NJ...

I went there.. sat on it.. started it up.. I felt like as a beginner that I'd be safer on the 696.. I loved the look of the shiver though...

Does anyone know what the stock tires on the monsters are good for? Can I ride them in the cold?

drkramm
12-03-2009, 05:52 AM

I went there.. sat on it.. started it up.. I felt like as a beginner that I'd be safer on the 696.. I loved the look of the shiver though...

Does anyone know what the stock tires on the monsters are good for? Can I ride them in the cold?

whats the brand/name .. you should be fine as long as they are not dot race tires .. ive gone out in the 20-30's with my other bikes and been fine .. but be very careful with everything it isn't going to turn start or stop great

i had pilot powers on my 636 and i came to a stop at a intersection slowly started to turn through the intersection and the front end washed out on me .. kept the bike up but i wasn't doing anything crazy was in the high 20's i believe

crazyukrainian
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM

interesting.... my buddy was looking at shivers and was pissed cause he couldnt find a dealer nearby, i think the closest he found was NY or something (and a scooter aprilia in center city philly lol). ill have to keep that in mind :)

Vr-4-Life
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Heh I am actually going to go there sometime soon if you want to tag along.. My friend wants to look at a shiver 750 so yeah...

I love the shiver... but I also love my monster....

Also I cant remember what tires are on it.. i looked it up and it appears they also come with the hayabusa.

drkramm
12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
interesting.... my buddy was looking at shivers and was pissed cause he couldnt find a dealer nearby, i think the closest he found was NY or something (and a scooter aprilia in center city philly lol). ill have to keep that in mind :)

don't know where your buddy lives but eurosports in coopersburg pa is a aprilla dealer

drkramm
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Also I cant remember what tires are on it.. i looked it up and it appears they also come with the hayabusa.

don't know what comes on that either but you should be fine

Vr-4-Life
12-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Hopefully I'll have a chance to take it out this weekend... I dont mind the cold so much, but I think its gonna rain :(

crazyukrainian
12-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Heh I am actually going to go there sometime soon if you want to tag along.. My friend wants to look at a shiver 750 so yeah...

I love the shiver... but I also love my monster....

tempting... pm me when you figure out when youre going and ill see if im free, might bring some friends too hehe

don't know where your buddy lives but eurosports in coopersburg pa is a aprilla dealer

true, might even be closer than the princeton one. he alternates between south philly and NE, so its not toooo far. maybe he didnt look hard enough, i dunno lol

Vr-4-Life
12-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Ive never been to the one he is talking about, but the one in Princeton had about 20 bikes to show.

You can test ride there too.

Nick Merrone
12-04-2009, 04:03 PM
post pics...i saw it last night. it was pretty cool, minus that thing me and alex said to take off hahaha

Vr-4-Life
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Its the rear fender... It doesnt bother me that much and I'm not a fan of most of the delete kits so far...

I'd like to find a really nice one with new signal lamps and possibly CF rather then stainless steal.

crazyukrainian
12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Ive never been to the one he is talking about, but the one in Princeton had about 20 bikes to show.

You can test ride there too.

how old for test rides btw? im 21, so i highly DOUBT they'll let me haha (have a license but still)

Vr-4-Life
12-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure.. they offered it to me and im only 23..

crazyukrainian
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
interesting. i guess when they have enough info to make sure you can pay for it and such they dont care. im basing off a triumph promo ride that was listed as 25+

Vr-4-Life
12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
oh that sucks....

hey.. do you know the penalty if you get caught riding a bike at night with only a permit?

crazyukrainian
12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
prolly depends on the cop (warning to fine to impound; prolly mostly depends on how much you piss him off or how pissed he was already lol). just take safety course and forget about that ****

Vr-4-Life
12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
impound? no way... thats crazy.. perhaps it says on my permit...

crazyukrainian
12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
piss off a cop enough and he'll do w/e the **** he wants. /story

drkramm
12-05-2009, 10:11 AM
i don't know how nj is but back in the day when i had my permit they didn't have on the permit that you couldn't ride at night so you can always claim ignorance

and unless you are doing a 130mph wheelie through a school zone most cops will let you go (most cops ride)

Doms99WS6
12-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Ah, u finally picked up a Ducati! Hit me up when u wanna ride man..

Vr-4-Life
01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
PM me your number.... I will def...

Blue32
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM
very nice bike.. I sometimes miss my 695, it was soooo much more comfortable riding girls on the back then my zx10.. If i would have bought the water cooled 1000 monster I would probably still have it and never bought the zx10..

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/VFBlueR32/BJS_side.jpg