PDA

View Full Version : Muffler-Change it or Leave it Be?

92dxman
01-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I've been investigating the idea of having a less restrictive muffler, most likely a Dynomax on my 92 Civic for a little more power and easier breathing. I know it probably wouldn't have any positive advantage autocross wise but probably more for daily driving. Is it worth it to install a new muffler or not?

teh DIRT
01-08-2006, 05:50 PM
on na cars, a little backpressure will help flow velocity and will give more power in the lower rpms. opening the exhaust up will make it louder and may give you a little power at redline, but the cons of it in the lower rpms make it not worth it.

CHR!S
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
are you running a stock motor with basic bolt-ons? if so i wouldnt recommend any piping larger than 2 1/4". if you just get a universal muffler without piping it wont add any power. on my old car i had 2 1/4" cat-back piping welded to an es oval muffler and i felt minimal power

xEJ20x
01-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Get a catback from a well know company; HKS, Spoon, Apex'i, Skunk2, GReddy, or Tanabe.

Its worth the money to get the actually rear section and midpipe.

07BlackSS
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
If you have an Intake and headers or other basic mods you can always go with a Borla Catback, pretty low tone to it and opens up the exhaust a good amount. Otherwise if you are going FI, then I suggest either a Greddy Evo 2 or Apexi N1 Catback system.

2point4DSM
01-09-2006, 02:51 PM
There was an article a while back in Turbo, or Sport Compact, or similar mag that showed power increase or LOSS with different exhaust systems.

Not a lot of people realize that some manufacturers actually tune their cars for the best power with the parts they put on it.

IMO, it is a waste of time to put a bigger exhaust on a relatively stock Japanese car. Unless you can turn up the boost or increase timing or air flow through the rest of the motor then I bet losing hp is more common.

Also, stock Honda air filters are pretty good and probably as good as a K&N in terms of air flow but much better in terms of actual filtering ability. So even if you have a nice intake system you still might not benefit from an aftermarket exhaust system.

Not to mention, stock Honda exhaust systems aren't all that bad to begin with considering they actually flow a lot and the only reason they are quieter is cause they have a big can and are well built.

Of course if you plan on going with any major upgrades like a turbo/supercharger/nitrous or bigger motor then it might make sense to get a bigger exhaust first.

igo4bmx
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
from personal experience, a muffler by itself will not produce any gains, but just noise.
I ran just a muffler and all it did was give me a headache
when i switched it out to an apexi catback system, i felt power throughout the powerband, more in the upper rpm range.

if you're going FI, the bigger the better IMO, unless you hate the way it sounds like i do.

92dxman
01-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm running the motor bone stick with exception of a drop in filter.

CHR!S
01-10-2006, 01:18 PM
what are your plans for the motor?

92dxman
01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
My plan is to keep it bone stock for autocross so I dont get bumped out of stock category. The only other mod powerwise that is allowed besides changing the filter is a muffler and or exhaust.

CHR!S
01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
then i would recommend getting some sort of universal muffler like the es oval

92dxman
01-12-2006, 01:25 AM
How about a Dynomax Super Turbo?

corrupt_assassin
01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Unless you are doing ur exhaust piping as well, this will do nothing performance-wise.

You are better off leaving it as is if its just a muffler your going after.

Hope my advice helps.