PDA

View Full Version : Any Ford Techs? 4.0 Ranger oil leak. need advice.

teh DIRT
11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
My dads truck just had a ton of work done to it, timing chain service and tune up. He gets it back and its leaking a ton of oil. The shop says its the headgasket, but I find that hard to believe being that it hasn't leaked a drop before they worked on it. Its the 4.0 v6 engine. Does anyone have info on common leaks with this engine? I took a look at it and saw where the oil is accumulating, but can't tell where the origin is.

lownslow95
11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I would go and register over at www.ranger-forums.com. They might be able to help you over there.

teh DIRT
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
i pretty much confirmed the shop's diagnosis. The V of the block is full of oil. Took the intake mani off to get a better look. Gonna do some more work on it but it looks like HG's to me. possibly a tensioner.

ThePrimerSuspect
11-10-2009, 11:28 PM
i promise you its from the timing cover. they ****ed it up. what year is it? cause i think the newer ones had 2 chains. 1 front and 1 rear.

teh DIRT
11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah its the dual timing chain engine. 2005 4.0l. you got any experience with this engine? i know you used to be a tech.

My plan is to clean it all up, reassemble, run for a min or two, then disassemble to see where its coming from.

teh DIRT
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
just a follow up. I cleaned the entire V of the block out because oil was everywhere and if I wanted to find the source I needed a clean slate. Cleaned it and lined it with paper towels. Re-assembled the engine and started it. Bingo. The hydraulic timing chain (guide) tensioner was leaking oil out at a steady pace. I had assumed this was the issue weeks ago when my dad first told me about the problem, because its a common issue in the BMW realm (looks to be the exact same part too). Inspected the tensioner, which is brand new btw, and it seems to be fine. Assuming its the correct part that is.

Cleaned the mating surfaces where the tensioner seat meets the head and applied a little gasket sealer to sweeten the deal. Re-assembling now, fingers crossed. The paper towels were all dry aside from the area just below the tensioner so I am confident that is the issue.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/lockenstuff/100_1409.jpg

ThePrimerSuspect
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
any luck pete? i did one t-chain tensioner on a mountaineer (rear and warranty too) and it sucked. this was back in like 05 though so i dont remember much except that i never wanted to touch one again lol

teh DIRT
12-01-2009, 07:40 AM
yeah that front tensioner was leaking a mofo. Shoddy work from a half ass mechanic if you ask me. I reseated it with a little sealer and it fixed the problem.