PDA

View Full Version : Mini S owners, step inside.

Got Insulin?
11-04-2009, 01:28 AM
So, I'm browsing for a new car, and to be honest, as much as I'd love to grab another DSM, for the minute, I think one is enough. So the search is on for something else. I have loved the MINI S since I first layed eyes on it, but I've only ever driven one once, and it wasn't an S, but it was still a total blast. It was like a big go kart, so I can only imagine what it feels like with that lil' SC in the mix. Not to mention, they're realitively cheap, low-key cars that shouldn't kill me on insurance.

From the owners, what do you think overall? Quality cars? Qualms, problems, gripes? How about praise? I'd like to hear it all. I think I'm looking for an older one, 03-07ish, 6mt, Navi, and it's gotta have a sunroof. There's a few on CL that have caught my attention, but I just don't think I can pull off yellow, haha.

TalonTsi97
11-04-2009, 01:33 AM
We have very similar tastes, i'd love to pick one up in a few years after school is over. Am curious to see what people have to say.

Got Insulin?
11-04-2009, 01:49 AM
We have very similar tastes, i'd love to pick one up in a few years after school is over. Am curious to see what people have to say.

Yup, last year of school, so I'm on the prowl for something a little more gently used, and that will hold it's value better. I'd love to cop one, preferably in a darker color, throw some coils, tints, pulley, and rims on it and call it a day. Simple, yet effective.

Oh, and AutoX destroyer.:mrgreen:

cmr076
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
So, I'm browsing for a new car, and to be honest, as much as I'd love to grab another DSM, for the minute, I think one is enough. So the search is on for something else. I have loved the MINI S since I first layed eyes on it, but I've only ever driven one once, and it wasn't an S, but it was still a total blast. It was like a big go kart, so I can only imagine what it feels like with that lil' SC in the mix. Not to mention, they're realitively cheap, low-key cars that shouldn't kill me on insurance.

i wish you had PMd me, i just got rid of mine and would have let you beat her ass before hand (i REALLY regret letting her go actually).

From the owners, what do you think overall? Quality cars? Qualms, problems, gripes? How about praise? I'd like to hear it all. I think I'm looking for an older one, 03-07ish, 6mt, Navi, and it's gotta have a sunroof. There's a few on CL that have caught my attention, but I just don't think I can pull off yellow, haha.

ok so here goes... keeping in mind mine was an 03 S with EVERY option except rear parking sensor (who needs on in a car that small)

problems: Yes quality cars (they are BMW's after all) i started having a few issues as mine got close to 80k miles though... little **** started falling off or breaking (the surround around the door handle on the passenger side fell off, the reflector on the driver door fell off, the passenger vanity mirror cover broke off when opening it, the piece that held the headliner up kept falling down, on cold winter days [like 20* days] it wouldnt go into gear until warmed up), the rad cracked after 60k miles and was expensive to replace.

gripes: unimpressive gas mileage... (although mine was modded), front wheel drive which sucked, in 03 there was not an option for an LSD (but with nitto NT01's she gripped like a champ). Theres also no spare and runflats are uber expensive (i kept a little compressor and fix a flat in mine)

options: get the cold weather package, heated seats are awesome! The nav was simple yet worked very well, the sport package is worthless if your gonna do coilovers or springs, i had the aero package which was discontinued but looked killer IMO.

overall: my fav. car ive owned to date... like i said i regret getting rid of her EVERY day. With minor mods they can be quick (i had a pulley, intake, exhaust, and bigger TMIC) and mine made almost 190 (im aware thats not alot but with the intake the blower SCREAMED and it was plenty fast enough for my DD)

Go to NAM (north american motoring) and MU (mini underground) both great sites and NAM is actually where i found mine for sale... Mini owners are the coolest group of enthusiast out there. Theres no **** talking, everyone is 100% for helping each other, and they are all just in it for the love of "motoring". Also give helix13 a call (there in manayunk now and specialize in minis).

lastly, if you wanna give me a call to ask questions PM me for my number and id be more than happy to bull**** with you.

::edit:: how mine sounded with the pulley and intake... like i said it screams http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/gvautosport/?action=view&current=CIMG0822.flv

deb38
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I have one. Pretty fun car to drive. Not incredibly quick, but fairly torquey in 1st/2nd. Ridiculous tq steer. Great car for a city. Okay on gas. Has required no maintenance. I've also got every option as well. HK stereo is pretty good for factory. S/C sounds cool, even when bone stock.

My own gripe is the roof trim, a small corner piece fell off.

Got Insulin?
11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info fellas, that was exactly what I was looking for. Believe it or not, Dave, one of my next steps was going to see if yours was still up for sale. Car sounded like a monster. I'll be sure to pop over to those forums and see what's what, and I'll definately take you up on that offer when I narrow down my selection, or if I have any particulars.

Got Insulin?
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
So, what I failed to mention is that I've been searching for the perfect MINI for a while, but not in an overly serious matter. However, I think that changed tonight. I found nearly, but not quite exactly what I was looking for about a week ago on CL: dark colored, options I wanted, low mileage, and newer than expected. I talked to my insurance agent about breaking off of my parent's plan (I'm 21, and still live at home, so I was able to get a sweet rate by not being the "owner" or either of my cars) and was not happy about what she told me. Let's just say, at 21, with no accidents, the S would run me about $2k a year for full Comp, which I had been anticipating. Then I went ahead and hopped online, and checked up on Progressive. Can we say half that? I'm still in the early stages of planning the my next moves, but for an '05 at 3K below KBB, and a non-smoker, one-owner, with just a bit under 38K miles, I think this might be it:
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/tjedi1/MINI1.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/tjedi1/MINI2.jpg

cmr076
11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
looks good, but no sunroof it appears! i love the body colored roofs as well.

Got Insulin?
11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
looks good, but no sunroof it appears! i love the body colored roofs as well.

I couldn't pick one out on it either, but the ad says is has it. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy, so we'll see what's what when I get ahold of him. As for the body colored roof, I'm definately feeling it, but I've already got something planned for that.

Got Insulin?
11-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Heading out now to check it out. I'll report back when I get in.

cmr076
11-07-2009, 05:44 PM
gimme a call when your there if you have any questions i may be able to help answer!

jhstealth
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
looks pretty sweet, i wish they would have came rear wheel drive :(.

Got Insulin?
11-30-2009, 01:06 AM
I pulled the trigger last saturday on an 06 Hyper Blue S with 15K on it. I love everything about it and it's just an utter blast to drive. Even other MINI owners take notice and I'm starting to get used to people chatting me up about it and seeing other MINIs deliberately parked next to it at school and in parking lots. Aside from that, even with the max coverage from my insurance, it's still not too, too bad on my wallet. Keep your eyes peeled for a Member's Journal and some proper photos in the near future.

thebillsman
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
great choice, i'll have to look for you around

i've been a member at m|u for a while, great MINI forum

Got Insulin?
01-03-2010, 03:12 AM
great choice, i'll have to look for you around

i've been a member at m|u for a while, great MINI forum

I know I've seen your car around, she's a beaut. Drop me a line if you're trying to get rid of any parts before you sell.

Otherwise, 2K miles since I've bought it and I'm pretty sure the only complaints I really have are the lack of an armrest and the stupid "cupholder" in the front, but in reality, I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would have, which is pretty excellent in my opinion.