PDA

View Full Version : Witnessed a hit and run

Tiny
01-05-2006, 05:36 PM
So I was on the Roosevelt Blvd coming up on Southampton Road (I think this is the 7th or 8th district?) And a van flies up the left hand lane, crosses in front of me, and tries to make a right onto southampton. I instantly comment to my fiance that this guy isn't going to make it and he t-bones a car stopped at the light with enough force that the back of the van pops up. He backs up, crosses all the way accross the blvd and starts to head back south.

Now being a related to some good people, I feel that I can't let this alone and I pull a u-turn and take off after the guy. My fiance is on the phone with 911 and the guy has no plate. So we let the dispatcher know where we are and where we are headed and are immidietly told thank you very much but please stop following the van for your safety and see ya later.

Now this guy has no plate, no identifying numbers on the van and no regard for anyone's safety or well being. So whats the deal? Is this a manpower issue? Are the police not allowed to respond to something like that? It only took a cop 5 minutes to get to the scene, but they couldn't get down the blvd to get this guy?

I'm not on the job, but I really respect what you guys do, however i'm feeling more then a little let down and just wanted to see if there is a good reason and should I waste my time trying to help out like that again?

04CROWNVIC
01-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Its a liabilty factor they dont want you chasing after this car maybe causing another accident and or you wrecking your car or him jumping out with an ak47 and killing you and your family..