PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Mobil 1 syn users

sesolcSTI
01-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Here is a list of an interesting oil test performed on Mobil 1 SuperSyn. The results are not good. A guy at work found this and turned me onto it. The additive packages in Mobil 1 are absolute crap compared to other oils. Redline 5w-30 has a very high rated additive package. This site can tell you anything you ever wanted to know about motor oils, etc. After seeing some of the videos of tests on this site, i doubt i will be using Mobil 1 SuperSyn ever again! Scary stuffs. http://bobistheoilguy.com/videos.html <----Video's and explenation of timkens tests.

Here is a link to a listing of testing results from many leading oils. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000310

Look at the Moly (explained here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html) ratings of each oil. Moly is a good thing and the more the better.
Ex. Mobil 1 10w-30 = Moly rating of 92 (no results for 5w-30)
Royal Purple 5w-30 = Moly rating of 130
Redline 5w-30 = Moly rating of 679!

Anyhow, thought this would be a valueable tool for some people on here with oil questions, just some interesting stuff that was found by a coworker. Have fun with it, lots of good info. :thumbup:

Fourbanger
01-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Damn, i was gonna jump on you but then i began to read... the only flaw ive found thus far is that moly (read it if you care) is also the cause for "gunk" in engines due to the loss of its suspension... simply put. The moly breaks down and becomes worthless.

In their words:
Engineers and scientists have tried for years to use Moly in motor oils but they have been unsuccessful because they could not find a way to keep Moly in suspension. Once Moly was put into suspension it would gradually settle out. It was easy to see it come out of suspension because a black sludge would collect on the bottom of the oil containers. In engines it would settle to the bottom of the crankcase or clog oil pathways and filters.
Engineers have overcome these obstacles. They have developed a process that keeps Moly in suspension and isn't filtered out. Since that time the product has undergone extensive independent testing in labs and in the field for many years to insure that the product stands up to the rigorous needs of today's engines. With the plating action of Moly reducing friction which reduces heat, this helps keep rings free from carbon buildup, prevents blow-by, decreases emission, and extends oil life.

Still interesting as hell thanks for the post man i was just talking about this over at srtsyndicate.

WRX27
01-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Crazy. I use mobil 1 Synth. Is it safe to switch over to a different oil as long as its snyth such as redline?

markley02
01-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I will always use mobil 1 syn. I know these tests might show it isn't that great but in both the manual for the m3 and the roadster it clearly says "only use bmw or mobil 1 syn. oil" Mobil must be doing something right for them to say that, or paying BMW a lot of $$$

Fourbanger
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I will always use mobil 1 syn. I know these tests might show it isn't that great but in both the manual for the m3 and the roadster it clearly says "only use bmw or mobil 1 syn. oil" Mobil must be doing something right for them to say that, or paying BMW a lot of $$$
I agree with you its the money or they have something up their sleeves....

If you read that site its kinda taken outta context, the oil that is. They warm it up in the engine then take it out while its warm and test it. Granted thats probably the best way i cant say its bad but the few times ive read about tests they pulled it right from the valve cover.(Meaning the site pulled the oil from the oil pan on these tests,... i think, at least thats what i got from it.) I dunno mobile 1 is pretty high quality, then again redline and purple royal have also been highly touted as "better" oils. I dunno ill give them a try eventually.

And to wrx27
No changing the oil you use is not harmful to your engine. You could use cheap oil, you would just have to change it Religiously at 3,000 miles where as synthetic can be neglected for a lil while.

Id give it a try not like you have much to loose, well an engine but thats the worst case scenario. Put enough oil in her and change the filter, you will be fine if you do that. Id also look into oil filters if your gonna buy all the hype about moly levels as well. A crappy oil filter is worse than crappy oil. I just tried the 11$ mobile one filter for mine we will see how the oil looks when i change it at 24k miles. I dunno this is an on going debate among tuners/enthusiasts, go with your gut. If your car reccomends a certain oil, um yeah use that :thumbup: Unless you dont value your warranty. :rolleyes:

Royal purple is supposedly "the Best" from what ive heard. But i still run 10-w30 Mobile 1 in my car.(for the winter)

And they are comparing a 10-w30 mobile 1 oil to the other oils which were 5-w30's that alone kinda distorts the results.

sesolcSTI
01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, i didnt post this to say that Mobil 1 is a crap oil or anything. Just that there additive packages pale to other "high end" synth oils. I have religiously used either Royal Purple or Mobile 1 for years now. I think i may give the redline a shot the next go around though. There is also a oil testing company on that website somewhere that you can get your oils tested after use. Its actually very cheap too. It would be nice to keep a vile of the mobil 1 and a vile of maybe a redline or royal purple to see how it acts in your car......deposits, etc.

Like i originally posted, its just a cool source of info on oils if anyone was interested. :)

slavetothemuzic
01-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, i didnt post this to say that Mobil 1 is a crap oil or anything. Just that there additive packages pale to other "high end" synth oils.
Another thing though is price. Last time I checked, Mobil 1 was MUCH less expensive than Redline and Royal Purple, so really, IMO, it's comparing different classes of products.

07BlackSS
01-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I know a lot of guys on the ClubRSX.com Board are very big fans of Royal Purple and have used it for the past couple of years and so far I haven't heard a single complaint. I was thinking about trying it out but like slavetothemuzic said...the price difference.

2point4DSM
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
When I went to Honda school they would talk up Mobil products too. And if you buy Honda brand oil it will clearly be marked with a Mobil label on the back.

That right there says a lot too cause I see Honda as a very reliable company that puts out reliably good products.

And I know at one point Mobil 1 was used in top end cars from Porsche and even in the Viper.

Anyway, I like to use Mobil 1 cause it is easy to get and cheap compared to Redline and Royal Purple. When I plan on doing 1/4 mile laps in the DSM I make sure to use Redline only. If I'm just trying to waste gas I'll use Mobil 1 with a quart of Redline. The Pilot gets Mobil 1 and a quart of Redline as well. The Saturn gets castrol and maybe a quart of Mobil 1.

As far as I know Redline is one of the best out there. Royal Purple is next and Mobil comes after them. This also reflected in their pricing.

Btw, I get Redline from Summit Racing. And I just noticed that Pepboys carries Royal Purple here in Philly. Anyone want to recommend places where I can get Redline oil....

sesolcSTI
01-05-2006, 06:56 PM
yeah i was wondering where to get redline as well. i saw it in summit for $7.99/qt i believe. ill have to dig into their website to see who their distributors are and where they are located. My buddy used Delo 400 with a valvoline (i believe) additive in his alky car. He said that the delo 400 was highly recommended for turbo'd cars. Its not pricey either. Its on that chart i posted somewhere. :wink:

MuddyREX
01-05-2006, 07:05 PM
For the price difference, and how many miles I put on the car daily, I just can't justify using Redline. I got over 150K miles on my Nissan Altima using generic brands of oil. I use Mobil1 in the WRX, and am confident that it's doing it's job.

2point4DSM
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I used mobil 1 in my first DSM. I got that with 33 miles on the odo and it lasted into the 200k range running 12s starting at 100k miles. And I mean I beat the snot out of that car.

And considering I don't drive the DSM more than a thousand miles a year anymore it is easy putting Redline in it.

hystericfox
01-27-2006, 01:16 AM
I've been sticking with Mobil 1 for my DSM, and Castrol for motorcycles. I haven't had any real problems with either.

ho1ywars
01-28-2006, 08:36 PM
im switching to royal purple next oil change, its only a buck more per quart. been running mobile one for a year now, change it every three thousand.. but i dont know. for only a dollar more ill jump up in class.

PiTT
02-05-2006, 09:16 AM
been runnin mobil 1 Full Syn 5-20 for 100,000 miles. Not 1 engine problem.

sesolcSTI
02-05-2006, 02:34 PM
been runnin mobil 1 Full Syn 5-20 for 100,000 miles. Not 1 engine problem.

Yeah, the point of this info was not to bash mobile 1. Of course its a very nice, quality oil. Just showing that there are other oils out there that have better additive packages, thus better for your engine, thats all. :wink:

PiTT
02-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, the point of this info was not to bash mobile 1. Of course its a very nice, quality oil. Just showing that there are other oils out there that have better additive packages, thus better for your engine, thats all. :wink:

I know. Sorry if I was coming off as an ass. :mrgreen:

zerioustt
02-05-2006, 04:23 PM
you guys should check out amsoil. oil is icredible. and you dont have to change oil for 12k its guaranteed. my boy ran it in his 550hp z for 10k when he took the motor apart to part out i was stunned. never seen a motor that clean in my life. all you have to do is change your filter every 3k like normal.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx
theres some info on there 20w 50 racing oil that i use in the summer months. well worth the money it costs

99SL2_Modder
02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
you guys should check out amsoil. oil is icredible. and you dont have to change oil for 12k its guaranteed. my boy ran it in his 550hp z for 10k when he took the motor apart to part out i was stunned. never seen a motor that clean in my life. all you have to do is change your filter every 3k like normal.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx
theres some info on there 20w 50 racing oil that i use in the summer months. well worth the money it costs

That's stupid. no offense.

They don't make an oil filter that can still function properly at that high of mileage...you'd STILL have to change the filter every 3k.

zerioustt
02-05-2006, 06:37 PM

They don't make an oil filter that can still function properly at that high of mileage...you'd STILL have to change the filter every 3k.

are you serious? did you read the website or any info on this oil? you want me to get pics from my boys motor after 10k and no oil change? please read on it

SilverTurboRidin
02-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I know of alot of high horse power motor builders that use nothing but royal purple and redline....And they buy it by the barrel so that must tell ya something

zerioustt
02-06-2006, 12:20 AM

Just realized that you said you would STILL have to change the filter every 3k, I thought you said OIL, but never the less, again if you read my 1st post, I did say you would HAVE to change the FILTER every 3k.

blkbomber01
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
i still use mobil 1 even after readin this thread.... i mean, unless your pushin some serious hp and have the gas matted all the time i dont see why you need to use anything better than mobil 1.

zerioustt
02-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I look at it like this. Would you cheap your car on performance parts? Oil has a lot to do with the performance of your car.

Better oils help with less friction which in turns means less heat. Less heat = more power, better gas mileage, less wear and tear on your motor.

Jason

Master Mitsubishi
02-06-2006, 11:42 AM
I 100% support jason, if you dont care about your car or performance then put water in your car for all i care. You put in cheap stuff you get cheap stuff thats a fact. If you have a turbo car or performance car i would only use amsoil, if you have a honda civic with a fart can dont worry ur **** isnt gettin any faster any time soon. Dont you wonder why all the fast cars dont have ebay parts?

sesolcSTI
02-06-2006, 06:05 PM
If you have a turbo car or performance car i would only use amsoil

WRONG, did you happen to look at the chart? Mobil 1 has alot more in terms of an additive package than Amsoil. Redline has WAYYYYYYYYY more of an additive package than both mobil 1 and amsoil. Look at the moly number on the charts. Amsoil is one of the WORST in terms of moly. :wink:

fastjim
02-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Although moly additives work excellent in synthetic greases (and maybe rear end lubes), adding moly to engine oil is somewhat luxuriant since the extreme shear pressures required to activate moly are not found in your engine. Zinc-dithiophospate is the common anti-wear additive found in engine oils.

http://heartlandsynthetics.com/synthetic_oil/synthetic_oil.html

my brother found this when i told him about my oil being better then his cuz i used redline and he used mobil 1 syn....

sesolcSTI
02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. :thumbup:

HuggyBear
02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Man...i have to say...there is A LOT of ill informed individuals on here. Moly additives?....then you talk about grease? I think the title is about engine oil not wheel bearing grease but I can get into that too if you'd like.

Mobil 1 uses a crude base oil then adds synthetic fluids to it to make it "Synthetic". ALL the other manufactures do this. The reason why all the manufactures state "use mobil 1" is because they have a contract to use them. Its all manopoly crap.

AMSOIL is the first to introduce a FULLY synthetic oil using an Ester base then compounding other synthetic fluids. AMSOIL has a change interval of 10-12K with 3K oil filter changes like normal scheduled maintainence intervals. I have several pictures of engines running this oil that have ran better because of the oil and it has actually cleaned the internals spotless. I ran a 540rwhp Z on pump gas all the time with AMSOIL 20w-50 with 10,325 miles and pulled the engine to do some maintainence and it was completely spotless.

http://www.amzperformance.com/product_image/cleanhead1.jpg

http://www.amzperformance.com/product_image/cleanhead2.jpg

http://www.amzperformance.com/product_image/cleanhead3.jpg

Comparison pics from an engine running Mobil 1

http://www.amzperformance.com/product_image/oilcomp.JPG

http://www.amzperformance.com/product_image/oilcomp2.JPG
http://www.amzperformance.com/product_image/oilcomp2.JPG

You want to debate about oil...we can do it...I have all information that proves that Mobil 1 is not that great. Royal Purple is the same ****...just with purple die. Quite sad if you ask me.

zerioustt
02-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks for putting those pics up to prove mobile 1 is trash. You seriously can't beat amsoil. Proof is in the pics.

Ps huggybear is sexy

Master Mitsubishi
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
i was waiting for his ass to post up

ps i love huggybear lol

SpendOne
02-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Huggybear, Drew(DSM) was just telling me about you and your shop thsi week. Nice to see your on here.

HuggyBear
02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
WRONG, did you happen to look at the chart? Mobil 1 has alot more in terms of an additive package than Amsoil. Redline has WAYYYYYYYYY more of an additive package than both mobil 1 and amsoil. Look at the moly number on the charts. Amsoil is one of the WORST in terms of moly. :wink:

additive packages. That is a pure joke bro. The reason they have to add those is because they use a crude base instead of an ester base. Do the math man. Crude burns and ester doesn't. That is the reason why they have to add so much crap to it for it to be suitable. Moly has nothing to do with oil protection. It has to do with viscosity and wear protection. I can post several tests that rate Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol, ect ect way below the line.

I send oil samples out to a private oil analysis panel and I've yet to see damage with using AMSOIL. You can keep running that crap if you want but your engine will be coked up with oil debree and sludge very soon.

HuggyBear
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Huggybear, Drew(DSM) was just telling me about you and your shop thsi week. Nice to see your on here.

Good deal bro. Drew and I have been good friends for a while. I was directed to this site about oil debates and I have say...there is a ton of info many on here are absolutely clueless about. But i'm always here to help.

G1GSX
02-11-2006, 06:38 PM
where can you buy AMSOIL local?

zerioustt
02-11-2006, 07:41 PM
where can you buy AMSOIL local?

from the guy who posted before you..aka huggy bear. he is in the vendors section also. his company is amz performance. very good company. :cool:

TurboTagTeam
02-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I can tell you from experience that redline oil is far better that fully synthetic mobil 1. When I first got my car I would run fully synthetic mobil 1 10w-30.

After a month I noticed that after some spirited driving my oil temps were fairly elivated. At the next oil change I tested out Redline 15w-50. What a difference it made! There was a difference in the warmup time after a cold start, but I never move my car untill it's fully warmed up anyway.

My car runs alot warmer than you guy's cars soo it has to be a very good oil to make such a difference. All rotory guy's swear by this stuff.

HuggyBear
02-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Redline uses a crude base too...Their oil is known for foaming up or frothing in rear diffs and transfer cases. BAD news for the owner. There are only a handful of oils manufacturered that use an ester base oil as a base.

Motul
AMSOIL
Project MU
HKS
Veruspeed

sesolcSTI
02-12-2006, 05:39 AM
additive packages. That is a pure joke bro. The reason they have to add those is because they use a crude base instead of an ester base. Do the math man. Crude burns and ester doesn't. That is the reason why they have to add so much crap to it for it to be suitable. Moly has nothing to do with oil protection. It has to do with viscosity and wear protection. I can post several tests that rate Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol, ect ect way below the line.

I send oil samples out to a private oil analysis panel and I've yet to see damage with using AMSOIL. You can keep running that crap if you want but your engine will be coked up with oil debree and sludge very soon.

Hmmmmmm, good to know. BTW, i never claimed to be an expert on oils or anything, just some info i was shown on the internet by a buddy that is a drag racer. Maybe he doesnt use ester based oil because of having a straight alky system??? Could be why he has never talked about ester?? Do you know anything about alky and crude/ester?? Anyhow, i will definitely look into the ester side of the oil business, and probably give AMSOIL a whirl. Thanks for the info, good stuff. :thumbup:

BoM
02-13-2006, 07:13 PM
been on Amsoil for a long time now, but change it at every 5k miles.

alucardr
02-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I'll have to try some of those others.. I've been using Mobil 1 Snyth 5w-30... On my last oil change I was at low on the dipstick. Maybe it had to do with the drag racing I did on that batch..or maybe the mobil 1 snyth is getting burned up quicker in general.

zerioustt
02-15-2006, 08:27 AM
been on Amsoil for a long time now, but change it at every 5k miles.

I change mine about 5k or 6k also. Crazy that the oil comes out almost same color it went in. :jawdrop:

Master Mitsubishi
02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
im so taking pics of my car when i do my oil change compaired to a new quart of amsoil

sesolcSTI
02-15-2006, 11:41 AM
So i talked to my buddy that i mentioned earlier in the thread the other day that drag races. He said that he doesnt mess with ester based oils (and he was educated in ester oils) because in his drag car, he changes the oil after a very limited number of passes (maybe 5 or so). Therefore its just not cost effective to put expensive motor oils in just to drain them back out a few days later.

reeksti
02-20-2006, 04:14 AM
nice

2point4DSM
02-20-2006, 08:50 AM
I change mine about 5k or 6k also. Crazy that the oil comes out almost same color it went in. :jawdrop:

That is awesome! Basically, it either means you don't drive your car hard at all or your motor is really tight. Do you drive a lot of highway miles? Our buddy who just bought a brand new Ford GT was told by the guys that built his motor that he should change his oil after a 1000 miles but then didn't have to change it for a year afterwards.

The oil that comes out of the Honda Pilot after 3k miles is definitely lighter than the oil that comes out of the Saturn Ion after the same amount of miles. The thing is the Pilot gets pushed a lot harder than the Ion.

HuggyBear
02-20-2006, 10:12 AM
So i talked to my buddy that i mentioned earlier in the thread the other day that drag races. He said that he doesnt mess with ester based oils (and he was educated in ester oils) because in his drag car, he changes the oil after a very limited number of passes (maybe 5 or so). Therefore its just not cost effective to put expensive motor oils in just to drain them back out a few days later.

Most who change their oil after each race are also swapping out their main bearings too....is you buddy doing that as well if he's a drag racer?

sesolcSTI
02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Most who change their oil after each race are also swapping out their main bearings too....is you buddy doing that as well if he's a drag racer?

I dont know the frequency in which he swaps bearings. All i can tell you is that its a high 9, low 10 sec Vega. Small block chevy, runs on alcohol and is clean as hell. All i know is that he definitely knows his stuff. He's not some every once in a while "drag-racer". This is his life. Everything is done by the book. Took him 7 years to get where he is at right now. Im sure everything is done correctly.

Anyhow, that is the reason he never mentioned ester oils (because of the frequency of changing his). :wiggle:

HuggyBear
02-20-2006, 08:56 PM
yea at that point its a cost effectiveness issue for him. For those (which is 95% of everyone) that has an import don't go to the extreme as he does which is why he is ok using crude based oil. Ester oils are the best hands down but you pay for that. If he changes his oil every race then he's fine but for many who are posting here aren't drag racing like your friend so it sorta doesn't apply to this.

sesolcSTI
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Right, i was just trying to clarify. Anyhow, thanks again for the info! :thumbup:

Adamblitzer
02-21-2006, 11:39 PM
great info. I used M1 5-30 and was burning a bit in my sti. Switched to royal purple 5-30 very little burn. Now i run GERMAN Castrol 0-30 and ZERO burn. The GC is by far the thickest out of the 3. In the winter being thin is good. For you oil guru's, it is the GC 0-30 GREEN, with proper seriel number.

olsookie
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
first off, i'm calling :bs:

and +1 on that comment. no way manufacturers of high performance vehicles telling you mobile 1 or no warranty if this oil was that bad.