12-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm taking any questions and any problems on the 3000gt

the mike
12-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Why are they so damned heavy!!??

:wink:

ScoobyNubieToo!
12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
DO they have weak trannys? Everyone I know that's had one has had to have the tranny rebuilt.

MPowerKai
01-02-2006, 02:21 AM
They are heavy because the are grand touring awd vehicles with all wheel steering and electronic controlled suspension along with a bunch of other goodies.

Their tranny's where pretty decent after 1993 because they switched from 18 spline to 25 spline however the synchro's were not of the greatest quality.

markley02
01-02-2006, 04:44 PM
ok, I am guessing that you are talking about the vr-4. Spun crank bearings- very very bad. They are a ticking time bomb with no warning. clutches go every 50,000 babied miles. Spark plugs are the biggest pain in the world, sure the first 3 are ok, now try the back. lol. Even the 1st gen trannies weren't THAT bad, the biggest downfall to first gen trans is that is it a 5 speed and not a 6. Also first gens only have 27 teeth on the speedo gear and makes the car read faster than it is going. The fixed it with the 2nd gen by putting in a gear with 28 teeth. Watch our for the shifter moving by itself in top gear. A bolt likes to loosen up in the trans and if it starts happening you have to take care of it ASAP. That is all I can think of off the top of my head I will probably write more later. Check out www.3si.org

P.S. I loved mine but they are heavy as hell and feel heavy as hell while you are driving. Even with the 4WS they still cannot turn for ****

MPowerKai
01-03-2006, 05:19 PM
They do not spin bearings if you watch the oil pressure. The spn bearings do come with a warning and its usually with modification to the engine or bent oil pans. You can also take a factory clutch a long way as I had 105,xxx miles on it before I had to change mine. I do not know what you mean by spark plugs being the biggest pain the world frankly I think everything about this car is the biggest pain in the world.

As for steering and being heavy yes it is heavy once again its because its a grand touring vehicle and loaded with useless stuff as well as awd coupled with aws which is why a base or SL can take on a vr4 with just a vr4 engine swap.

www.3si.org used to be pretty good until they changed a lot of the layout, made the OT for members only, and before 16 year old started buying the car while some good people/info may still be there its not as fun as it once was.

markley02
01-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, I dont argee with you on the bearing or the clutch. My clutch went around 50,000 and although the car was driven a little hard, I never did anything real stupid with it. Maybe it was just the previous owner, but a lot of people will agree with me about them going very quickly. Were you the first owner of the car? Maybe the first owner replaced it cause 105,000 is almost perfect timing for a second one to go

MPowerKai
01-07-2006, 02:40 PM
No the 1st owner did nothing, he didn't do the 60k tune up or anything. He just drove the car and did oil changes. Jerk. I had to saw off the bolts to get the box off of the air filter to change it. That thing was nasty

Master Mitsubishi
02-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I have one not sharp turns, but on banks the vr-4 will take like a champ the car like you said is a touring car ment for high speed racing not sprinting. The weight of the car does effect it but the 320 hp at 3k gives it the nice feel. I have a 96, the trans syncros sux but when built the some ppl say the getrag transmission is even stronger then a dog box. As for a motor swap yes a VR-2, SL w/vr-4 engine, will beat an vr-4 from a roll, but i cannot see the car doing better from a stop then a vr-4. Its only logic the awd system on the vr-4 kills about 100hp on the mustang dyno(i have a stock 96 down to filter with 54k on car and dynoed 226/268 3 pulls), now fwd is alot less of a hp loss. Also the weight difference takes effect, the vr-4 has alot more extra stuff and weight then the SL. This is the same reason a gst will beat a gsx from a roll but lose from a stop, less whp. Now my car has 54k on it and my clutch is perfect, and i know for a fact this car has been driven incorrectly by the owner before(clutch rider). Now i dont know if the clutch is in good condition because i do baby the car but when i get on it i get on it. Ive only race from a stop a hand full of times and i think the worse was the first night a clutch dropped at about 6k and broke the 18s loose.