PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a riding jacket

ho1ywars
09-12-2009, 09:53 PM
cooler weather is coming, and i need to pick up a riding jacket. dont want leather, and i want it to be black. reasonable price would be nice. any suggestions?

enigma
09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
www.sportbiketrackgear.com stay away from frank thomas.
why no leather?
Textiles and mesh don't hold up in crashes as well.

crazyukrainian
09-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Textiles and mesh don't hold up in crashes as well.

oh really? why is that?

i need to pick one up soon too so you got me curious....

05OCsrt-4
09-13-2009, 03:26 AM
oh really? why is that?

i need to pick one up soon too so you got me curious....

if you fall and have to slide at all or anything happens, the textiles and mesh seem to disappear, leather will hold up better if you hit the ground at all, so in the end, leather might be hotter and might be more expensive, but you will be glad when you don't have road rash as much. i'm not saying you will crash, but **** happens, and i'd rather be prepared than having a doctor use sandpaper to scrub out the rocks and road debris, just something to think about.

z'd up
09-13-2009, 12:12 PM
i have a S&S(speed and strength) textile jacket i got for 150 and it has a removable cold weather lining and a few zipper vents. It also has a spine guard, forearm/elbow guards, shoulder pads, some belt loops for holding the jacket down with your belt, and a zipper to connect it to pants.

S&S was created when the designer from joe rocket left the company to start his own company from what ive heard.

WKderF
09-13-2009, 12:53 PM
theres a fairly new shop right off of delaware ave in philly called Revzilla, they have tons of brands and their showroom has all of their sport bike gear. I went there to pick up my Joe Rocket Carbon helmet, and their showroom has like everything there. you can try it on & see how it fits.

you can check out their website to see what they carry, but call first to make sure they have it in the showroom before you go.

www.revzilla.com

Reds82
09-13-2009, 08:52 PM
If your not buying locally try www.newenough.com the always have specials on gear. +1 on leather I only wear a textile or mesh if I'm just out and about on high 80's plus other wise I wear leather. I seen too many people go down and been down in leather that saved me some skin.

TurboTagTeam
09-13-2009, 10:15 PM
if you fall and have to slide at all or anything happens, the textiles and mesh seem to disappear, leather will hold up better if you hit the ground at all, so in the end, leather might be hotter and might be more expensive, but you will be glad when you don't have road rash as much. i'm not saying you will crash, but **** happens, and i'd rather be prepared than having a doctor use sandpaper to scrub out the rocks and road debris, just something to think about.

Everyone I've talked to that has crashed in textile has said they held up fine. The major difference is that after you've crashed in a textile jacket the jacket is ruined...but a leather one will take hit after hit.

enigma
09-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Joe Rocket stuff is on the low end of the gear spectrum. That being said, I do rock a JR Fuel suzuki textile jacket when its hot out.
The armor in the gear has alot to do with how it protects you, in america, there is no rating or testing for armor. The certification organization in europe is "CE", and they give a rating as to how well a piece of armor handles an inpact. Look for jackets that have "CE" rated armor in the spine, elbows and shoulders, rather than the cheap foam commonly found. Look for YKK zippers, vents, adjustable straps, belt straps.
Some of the S&S stuff is junk, my buddies front zipped on his S&S textile broke on his first ride out, plastic zippers are junk.
You want your gear loose enough to be comfortable, but tight enough that it will not slide around and bunch up in the event of a slide.
I am waiting for next spring to order a new teknic leather jacket, they are super high quality and their gears holds up real good at the track.
I am a bit of a gear nazi,Always with a helmet, I never go riding in plain jeans or shorts, I have the kevlar lined ones(draggin jeans and shift torque), always wear gloves(used to wear five halfs, now gauntlet GP Plus), Boots(easy riding above ankle steel toe, hard riding a* smxPlus)
My next purchase is full leathers for the track.

OutToWinPAHC
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
I have always worn Icon gear, I just bought another bike after 3.5 years so I need to get new gear too. Gonna pick up an Icon mesh with armor and liner, and then save for the icon leather.