PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting valves

Vr-4-Life
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Hello,

I have a 250 cc bike that is carbed... I need help adjusting the valves.. theres only two... I was told this is why my bike is hard to start some days and why it doesnt run well at low rpms.

apparently this is the first thing you should do if a bike has sat for 8 years... after changing the oil i mean...

if you have the tools to do this and know how I will pay you for your time...

OMGz Turbo
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Rich, i know a few guys over at nickerson' performance that might be able to help. Ill give him a call

jpalamar
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
You only have 2 valves?

I'm in the same boat with my 01 GSXR 600, i need the valves checked/and possibly adjuster. Dealer wanted $400 in their estimate to do it.

Vr-4-Life
09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
the bike is only a 250cc... single piston.... so yea one intake valve and one exhaust...

I dont see how they can charge a lot for such a simple job.. i know its a pain on solid lifters but come on...

TurboTagTeam
09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
To CHECK them all you need to do is remove the valve cover and use a feeler gauge to check the distance between the cam lobe and lifter.

To ADJUST them is alot more work....The cams and everything has to come out. And then you have to order and replace the correct shims too. 400 seems about right to adjust the valves.

I did my own on my GIX750 and it took me a whole day taking my time.

jpalamar
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
To CHECK them all you need to do is remove the valve cover and use a feeler gauge to check the distance between the cam lobe and lifter.

To ADJUST them is alot more work....The cams and everything has to come out. And then you have to order and replace the correct shims too. 400 seems about right to adjust the valves.

You wanna help me? I'll buy beer and I'll grill?

Vr-4-Life
09-16-2009, 03:44 PM

That sounds right asuming you have an OHC motor. I dont so... the only thing up there is going to be rockers.... also its only one cylinder so it should be a lot easier then a inline four....

You wanna help me? I'll buy beer and I'll grill?

If you want help.. make a thread of your own...

Also I may be wrong about the valves.. I can feel air coming out the exhaust on every stroke so it obviously has some compression.. I think this may be a timing issue.... Does anyone know how to time these suckers?