PDA

View Full Version : Any Toyota questions, post up.

the mike
12-29-2005, 12:30 AM
If anyone has any Toyota technical questions, post up here. I work for Toyota and obviously have access to their technical database. It might take me a day to gather the info, but I will do my best to answer as quick as possible.

mike

Tctuner
12-29-2005, 12:47 AM
If I get the trd supercharger for my scion tc, and then change the boost, will that void my warranty?

the mike
12-29-2005, 08:32 PM
I can find out, but us techs don't really deal a whole lot with the warranty end of it. The service advisors are the ones who make all the warranty calls. I will ask around though.

95SC2
05-01-2006, 02:05 PM
OK, i ahve a toyota ? for u mike. my mr2 is leaking oil. about 2 quarts a week. its been like this for about the past month and a half. my friend chris (who is alomst an expert with mr2's, hes had about 8 or 9 of them) works at liberty toyota in burlington and he has done all the work on the car for me. Last week he replaced the o-ring gasket for the distributor and the seals for the vavle covers cause they were leaking a bit. But it is still leaking and he doesnt really have too much time to work on it between his job and then goin home and working on his house. I need to know if u have any insight on where this leak may be coming from. The motor has about 27,000 miles on it

the mike
05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Can you see a visible leak? I'll have to look into what motor is in yours.

2 quarts a week is a huge leak, you should be able to see where it's leaking. That will help narrow down the componants that could be leaking.

xEJ20x
05-01-2006, 04:42 PM
If I get the trd supercharger for my scion tc, and then change the boost, will that void my warranty?

Yes.

If something breaks due to a modification that wasn't from factory. Your warranty will be voided and you will pay for repairs.

xEJ20x
05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
OK, i ahve a toyota ? for u mike. my mr2 is leaking oil. about 2 quarts a week. its been like this for about the past month and a half. my friend chris (who is alomst an expert with mr2's, hes had about 8 or 9 of them) works at liberty toyota in burlington and he has done all the work on the car for me. Last week he replaced the o-ring gasket for the distributor and the seals for the vavle covers cause they were leaking a bit. But it is still leaking and he doesnt really have too much time to work on it between his job and then goin home and working on his house. I need to know if u have any insight on where this leak may be coming from. The motor has about 27,000 miles on it

Is it an N/A SW20 style MR2?

95SC2
05-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Can you see a visible leak? I'll have to look into what motor is in yours.

2 quarts a week is a huge leak, you should be able to see where it's leaking. That will help narrow down the componants that could be leaking.

cant really tell where it is. it is gettin onto the firewall and dripping down that to this plastic sheild the is on the bottom of the car. the aluminum sheild for the dist. was really clean so we thought it was that, but we replaced the o ring and it still seems to be leaking. the motor is a 1.6 DOHC 4cyl. 4A-GE 16 valve

95SC2
05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Is it an N/A SW20 style MR2?

i wish, its a 86 AW11 n/a style, the sw20 was the second gen. 91-95

highmilehatch
05-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes.

If something breaks due to a modification that wasn't from factory. Your warranty will be voided and you will pay for repairs.

Since when? TRD parts maintain the factory warranty. I worked at Thompson for 2.5 years and all the TRD kits installed were covered.

xEJ20x
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Since when? TRD parts maintain the factory warranty. I worked at Thompson for 2.5 years and all the TRD kits installed were covered.

Did you read his original question?
He wants the factory supercharger option, but then wants to raise boost beyond the factory setting.
And if something breaks from the increased boost from puttin a smaller diameter pulley on the supercharger, then it will fall under the voided warranty area.

highmilehatch
05-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Technically, if anything did happen from increasing the boost, it wouldn't be hard to swap back to the stock pulley and get your warranty covered. Not that it's the right thing to do, but it's possible. There's really no point in trying to increase boost, considering the kit comes with with 400cc injectors and a reflashed ECU to control those injectors. Trying to increase boost without switching to even larger injectors and a programmable management to maintain safe A/F ratios is just asking for trouble anyway.

JoeScooby
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Found a guy today that was interested in running megasquirt on his corolla with a swapped ecotech engine and a turbo that its name I forgot. Possible?

driftingeric2k4
08-17-2006, 11:14 AM

They have to be installed by a Toyota dealership though. Plus that warranty assumes stock boost levels.

EDIT: my bad, the poster right below you said the same about the boost level. Regardless, the TRD charger only maintains the warranty if it is installed by a Toyota dealer.

the mike
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Found a guy today that was interested in running megasquirt on his corolla with a swapped ecotech engine and a turbo that its name I forgot. Possible?
So...aftermarket managementon a GM engine? I guess with enough fabrication anything is possible. Will it void his warranty, yes.:-p

What year Corolla?

JoeScooby
08-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I have to ask, I met him in the parking lot today at work so I'm not sure. I gave him our website so hopefully he joins up.

xEJ20x
08-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Check around the Megasquirt sites and forums.
Depending on what he's planning on with the engine (ie. turbo, s/c, or whatever), someone (usually automotive and electrial gurus) might have done it before and is more than willing to share the circuit board schematics.

2.0l1zz
08-19-2006, 10:07 PM
If all he wants to do is control fuel, he has some options. SAFC** or an E-manage**. Depending on the year of the motor, he may have some other options as well, but as far as universal type fuel/piggyback computers thats about it. I run a Power FC** on a 2000 Toyota 1ZZ motor, but that is a full standalone ECU.

** Just incase you live under a rock, lol.

Apexi SAFC fuel computer:
http://racetunedimports.com/apex_SAFC_II.jpg

GReddy E-manage piggyback fuel computer:
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/images/articles/greddy_emanage.jpg

Apexi Power FC Full Standalone:
http://www.real-service.ru/files/Power_FC_zoom.gif

PS, Fuel computers/piggybacks are NOT the way to go on N/A - turbo cars. You really need to do a full standalone or at least something else to change timing, etc, ESPECIALLY if it's a Toyota 1ZZ.

2.0l1zz
08-19-2006, 10:09 PM
If anyone has any Toyota technical questions, post up here. I work for Toyota and obviously have access to their technical database. It might take me a day to gather the info, but I will do my best to answer as quick as possible.

mike
I have a question. WHY THE HELL DID TOYOTA MAKE THE 1ZZ?!?!?!?!?! :lol:

the mike
08-19-2006, 10:27 PM
They didn't, Yamaha did. :wink:

You can also get a VVT-i controller like the Honda VTEC controller. It allows you to "tune" the point when the cam changes lift/timing.

2.0l1zz
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM

You can also get a VVT-i controller like the Honda VTEC controller. It allows you to "tune" the point when the cam changes lift/timing.
Yeeeeahh. It wasn't meant to be answered, it was just a joke about the 1ZZ, lol.

The PE cam con is what is being refered too:
http://jscspeed.com/part_pictures/pe_camcon2.jpg

Edited because I STILL can't spell, lol.

xEJ20x
08-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Yea....but if you wanna get a good power curve with that unit you need a dyno.

the mike
08-19-2006, 11:36 PM
It was just another tuning option. As with most mods, you need to dyno for the best results.
The 1ZZ is an ok motor, we don't see a lot of failures with them. Just not a huge power maker. Not that the 2ZZ is a big power maker either!:mrgreen:

I wouldn't mind a 2ZZ motored xB. Or a 2JZ powered one!

xEJ20x
08-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Or a 2JZ powered one!

A box that makes 1000hp but can only run 12s. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2.0l1zz
08-20-2006, 05:19 PM
The 1ZZ is an ok motor, we don't see a lot of failures with them.
That whole motor is a big failure! :lol:

Sh!tty oiling system, oil consumption, and pre-cat failure, (when the cat material breaks down/gets clogged), are just a few highlights. Trust me, I've been there with MANY 1ZZ's until I finally decided to build mine the RIGHT way, lol. http://www.my-mr2.de/modules/phpBB2/images/smiles/schraubi.gif

Even the 2ZZ has its share of issues: Cam-cap bolts breaking, oil pumps exploding, the GIANT valve-float issue that the early ones had, etc. http://www.my-mr2.de/modules/phpBB2/images/smiles/killme.gif

2.0l1zz
08-20-2006, 05:26 PM
The 1ZZ CAN make some power:
http://monkeywrenchracing.com/images/Dyno/mr2s508whp.jpg

So can the 2ZZ:
http://monkeywrenchracing.com/images/Dyno/mwrcelica412whp.jpg

the mike
08-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I am not arguing that they can make power. I am just saying it's not the best place to start looking for big numbers, unless you plan on spending some serious money. The same holds true for a lot of engines.

2.0l1zz
08-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I am just saying it's not the best place to start looking for big numbers, unless you plan on spending some serious money. The same holds true for a lot of engines.
Yeah, you got that right!

They aren't the best place to start. Unless you have a lot of cash, like you said. They just aren't strong enough from the factory. You have to do SO much to them just to make them reliable, THEN, do your upgrades. The ZZ series is only good for one thing form the factory...... GAS MILES!!!!!! :thumbup:

SmokeyBandit
09-06-2006, 01:55 AM

You do realize the cam changes lift/timing is for the 2ZZ-GE VVTL-i motor, right??? the 1ZZ-FE is VVT-i only

The Head work of the 2ZZ is done by Yamaha.

2.0l1zz
09-08-2006, 09:22 PM
The CAM-CON works on both the 1ZZ and the 2ZZ.

ToyotaTat
09-08-2006, 11:49 PM
recently started having some noticable shift shock...tranny was rebuilt in march...

2.0l1zz
09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
What kind of trans fluid are you using?

ToyotaTat
09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
im gonna say dexron 3, not %100 positve though cuz transmission shop did it not me, it was rebuilt in march...its not a tranny slip, just shift shock that seems like more than it should be

2.0l1zz
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Its automatic?!

ToyotaTat
09-11-2006, 01:09 PM
yea automatic...its a camry

2.0l1zz
09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
They DID make Camrys in a 5spd ya know.....

Have you changed the trans filter since its been rebuilt?

ToyotaTat
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
no. haven't touched it since its been done, had no reason to. and i know they made a 5 speed but nobody has one.

ToyotaTat
09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
so any advice on how to fix it?

2.0l1zz
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I would start with changing the trans filter. Once you drain some fluid, you might be able to tell what is going on. IE: metal shavings or what-have-you.

Other than that, I don't really know what to tell you because I have never had one of those trans' apart. I would *guess* that it is another internal problem of some sort. Maybe the valve-body(s)......?

CAn you describe what its doing, a little bit better for me?

ToyotaTat
09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
jst a little more shift shock then there should be. its not sputtering or slipping, the car just jerks a little too much to how i think it should

2.0l1zz
09-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Did you let a tech drive it?

Sometimes what may seem like a problem, in your mind, might be nothing. I think you should take it back to the shop who re-built the trans and see what they have to say. I, personally, wouldn't even worry about it as long as it has the correct amount of trans fluid and everything.

jspek
09-19-2006, 01:35 AM
will a gts tranny swap into my tc?

the mike
09-19-2006, 08:08 AM
will a gts tranny swap into my tc?

Simply put, no. The Celica GT-S uses the 2ZZ engine, while the tC uses the Camry's 2AZ-FE.

Why would you want that trans in there, Chaz?:help:

jspek
09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
6 speed.

2.0l1zz
09-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Celica 6spd. = C60.
Scion 5spd. = E350.

Translation:

The bell-housings aren't even close, so you can't just use the C60 trans with your E350 bell-housing. Not to mention the axle issues you would run into.

jspek
09-20-2006, 01:22 AM
thanks for clearing this up for me.