PDA

View Full Version : Camry gas pedal sticking

grimm
08-10-2009, 05:05 PM
The gas pedal of my GF's 98 Camry gets stuck when stopped at a light and it takes a good stomping some times to get it to break free and start to accelerate. I cleaned the throttle body and tried to tighten the cables but nothing has helped, anyone have any ideas?

foompla
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
time to replace the cable.

grimm
08-13-2009, 08:38 AM
care to eplain a bit more?
how/why would the cable need to be replaced?

ASIAN JUL
08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Q The gas pedal on my '98 Camry with 81,000 miles on it has started sticking when putting light pressure on it. It responds as I put on more pressure. What do you think the cause is, and what can I expect for suggested repairs when I tell the dealer about the problem? Of course, I'm hoping a little spray lubricant would solve the problem."

Spraying a quality aerosol to clean and lubricate the throttle linkage at the throttle body, and any exposed connections from the throttle pedal to the throttle body is never a bad idea and may reduce the symptoms significantly -- at least for a while. I suspect the dealer will inspect the throttle shaft and linkage on the throttle body, the entire throttle cable, the throttle pedal/pivot and the connection to the cable in the driver's compartment. The potential repairs include lubricating the components as I outlined above, replacing the throttle cable, and in a worst-case scenario replacing the entire throttle body due to wear on the shaft or shaft bushings. Try the lube first.

Sorry, don't have any advice of my own, lol

grimm
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
thanks julz. i guess the replacing the cable is next on the list since i've cleaned and lubed everything i could. i just never heard of a throttle cable going bad, not that i'm a mechanic...

ASIAN JUL
08-13-2009, 10:00 AM
1998 Toyota Camry
Component
Vehicle Speed Control

Consequence of Defect
vehicle description: passenger vehicles equipped with cruise control and v6 engines, and built at one of two lines at the kentucky plant. the accelerator cable housing could be deformed at the cruise control actuator-to-throttle body connection. the accelerator inner-cable could wear away and eventually break.

Corrective Action
this could allow the throttle to return to idle or remain in its most recent position regardless of accelerator pedal operation, increasing the risk of a crash.

Recall Notes
dealers will replace the accelerator cable. owner notification began february 23, 2001. owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

I found that, lol.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=98+camry+accelerator+cable+recall

The Captain
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem with my old camry...a 1992, probably 6 years ago. Mine was gunk carbon buildup, and the cleaning did the job.

russiankid
08-13-2009, 11:21 AM
If cleaning the throttle body didn't help, I would assume either the cable is damaged inside the cable housing, or it could be rusted. The cable should be fairly cheap to replace.

grimm
08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
thanks guys/gal,
julz it's a 4 cyl but good to know, and thanks for your help/time researching that for me. Much Appreciated!!!

The Captain
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Still the 2.2 in those?

foompla
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
yea its a 5sfe. 2.2l