PDA

View Full Version : window tint

themadhatter
12-23-2005, 09:46 AM
as a PA resident, I'm curious to know the law regarding window tint on the front driver and passanger windows.

thanks!

-Ron

04CROWNVIC
12-24-2005, 02:05 AM
If I get a chance I'll try to find the exact way the law is stated.. but to stay safe dont go below 35% on the driver and passenger side windows.. you can do whatever you want to the rear...

TROLL
12-26-2005, 03:42 AM
ryan from carpretty asked me to post this response, since he is very familliar with the laws regarding tint in PA...

state law for PA at the moment is 70% on fronts, rears, and rear windshield is "legal".

That is such a light film that its not even worth spending the money. Now if you take it from another term..."lenient". Now your talking a whole different ballgame.
So technically, yes tint is illegal. Its a security issue, but police "usually" dont care if the tint is around a 30%..which is a medium tint. Its at that point where you can make out a silhouette in the car and police notice that. When you go darker than that, you may never have problems, then again you might. Then theres the police that dont care about the back windows, and only care about the fronts. Thats probally the majority of the police out there. This is all posted in the car pretty forum BTW. In the city they have more important things to worry about, moreover in the suburbs its pushed a little more. Worst townships are as follows: Jenkingtown/Abington, and Warwick township. Theres random police in every area that really hate tint, but usually if you try not to push the envelope so to speak...meaning real dark tint, then you'll usually be ok.

Best rule of thumb...doesnt always work, but it shows respect. If you're pulled over with tint on you windows, put all windows down, turn on your inside light at night, have you license and registration in hand and put both hands on the stearing wheel at 10 o'clock. Therefore you give the officer no reason to worry or feel insecure approaching your vehicle.
Im always around for ?'s
Ryan