PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again more problems!!

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 03:10 AM
I hate to keep posting and askin u guys questions but i have a cel now!! Got the code reader and looked it up online and the code is for my o2 sensor. Spoke to couple of people and they said it might be the sudden change of weather and the humidity. Keep in mind im completley stock. What is goin on?first the pcv failure now this (btw got that fixed)!!

CleanNeon98
06-27-2009, 04:08 AM
It's a VW. I don't have any problems with my o2 sensor with "humidity" vw just sucks at making reliable cars. Get it fixed under warranty like I told you.

2.0Slow?
06-27-2009, 02:26 PM
just take it to your dealer. be thankful its still under warranty.

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 02:40 PM
but its annoying goin back to the dealer every week

4DR_DB7
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Notorious VW electrical issues... :(

John@20squared
06-27-2009, 06:02 PM
What was the specific code? This is something that anyone is going to need in order to try and help you troubleshoot the problem.

2.0Slow?
06-27-2009, 06:11 PM

ya i agree but hopefully after you get done with this issue it will be the last one,

The Captain
06-27-2009, 06:13 PM
o2 sensor could be anything. Doesnt really have anything to do with the fact that its a VW. Highly doubt they made the sensor. Just replace and go.

TROLL
06-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm sure its frustrating but the most direct way to a solution is to take it to the dealer and have them fix it... no sense in spending time/energy/frustration on here trying to troubleshoot and do anything yourself on a new stock car thats under warranty.

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 08:09 PM
the codes were p0130 and the other one was b2000
Looked them both up on google and both had to do with the o2 sensor

EACH IT
06-27-2009, 08:18 PM
The problem is quite an easy fix actually, your car needs nothing more than a new owner.
Your welcome in advance.
:afro:

CleanNeon98
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Welcome to German car ownership, enjoy your stay. The part that sucks is owning them under warranty is a pain because they are being repaired on a more than regular basis, owning them out of warranty is a drain on your wallet, and good luck selling it OUT of warranty, not many are willing to put up with the nightmare you don't want.

I, and everyone we mutually know told you it would be EXACTLY like this before you bought the car, so welcome to reality.

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 08:55 PM
The problem is quite an easy fix actually, your car needs nothing more than a new owner.
Your welcome in advance.
:afro:

Dude if u dont wanna help or offer real advice gtfo

CleanNeon98
06-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Dude if u dont wanna help or offer real advice gtfo
Hey now Greg gave awesome advice, the car needs a new owner, as in you need to get rid of it.

The best thing you can do for now is just put up with the issues and hope there aren't more. Then a few months before the warranty is out, get rid of the thing so it's still worth something. While a car is still under factory warranty, the person buying it can get an extended warranty at a very good price, once the car is out of VWs responsibility, watch almost every 3rd party company nearly double the premium for your prospective buyer, and then selling the car becomes more difficult.

I love the car to be honest, I just don't think it was a good choice for you, all DSG nonsense aside, you should have stuck with something Japanese because being in school and working why do you need the headache of owning this thing?

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Welcome to German car ownership, enjoy your stay. The part that sucks is owning them under warranty is a pain because they are being repaired on a more than regular basis, owning them out of warranty is a drain on your wallet, and good luck selling it OUT of warranty, not many are willing to put up with the nightmare you don't want.

I, and everyone we mutually know told you it would be EXACTLY like this before you bought the car, so welcome to reality.

Yea ur right but its stupid little **** thank god for warranty lol as soon i get situated evo x or a sti is in my future

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey now Greg gave awesome advice, the car needs a new owner, as in you need to get rid of it.

The best thing you can do for now is just put up with the issues and hope there aren't more. Then a few months before the warranty is out, get rid of the thing so it's still worth something. While a car is still under factory warranty, the person buying it can get an extended warranty at a very good price, once the car is out of VWs responsibility, watch almost every 3rd party company nearly double the premium for your prospective buyer, and then selling the car becomes more difficult.

O idk he meant it like thaf sry anyways yea i will most likely do that

Buster
06-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Yea ur right but its stupid little **** thank god for warranty lol as soon i get situated evo x or a sti is in my future

nah, you need a dumptruck.

CleanNeon98
06-27-2009, 09:10 PM
And in general from what I've seen with German, and in fact all European cars, is they tend to depreciate a LOT faster than Jap, even Domestic cars. Audis that cost 50k new are barely pushing 25k only 3-4 years and 40k miles later. Mercedes, BMW, VW, Range Rover, just about all of them, I've seen cars come through our lot that made my jaw drop seeing the original window stickers. I don't know why they depreciate so quickly, maybe it's because of the reliability issues and people not being willing to pay a lot of money knowing the repairs ahead, maybe something completely unrelated.

My point is, evaluate the market and see how quickly the GLI DSG is dropping in price, and decide how much money you are willing to lose in depreciation and sell accordingly, and don't think just because your car has DSG it's worth more, certain cars in Automatic are actually worth FAR less money (applies to a lot of sports cars and their target market).

Take this for example...05 S4 vert base price 53k.

We have one on the lot, 43k miles, auto, red leather, a few pricey extras (and it's still under factory warranty)...after over a year of sitting around we finally BARELY sold it for 23k to someone in Canada.

Blah blah blah, take it to VW.

EACH IT
06-27-2009, 09:12 PM
It's all good man, I wasn't trying to pi$$ you off. I have been down this road many times before with my own 92 vw gti, my friends jetta, or other friends vw's as well.
I would have given the advice to anyone with a chevy, chrysler, dodge, or ford as well.I have owned many cars and worked on many more. I personally stay away from vw and audi. They seem to like to make things over technical with stupid wiring and bs that other cars never had nor will they ever need. Then to top it off you get nothing back when you trade your car in, and the entire time you owned the car you were too afraid to mod it up cause...well lets face it, who is willing to mod a car with issues allready, especialy one that is new with a warranty.....

CleanNeon98
06-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Well put. I LOVE german cars, I love the solidity, the materials, the refinement, the features, safety, etc. I would lease one if I had the money ANYTIME, but own, never in my right mind. Great thing about leasing a Benz is if you come outside and there's a problem, you call the dealer and they drop you off a rental on the spot and pick up your car. Same situation with owning the same Benz, a little different. People that have $$$$$$$ can handle it, I can't and I don't understand why you went for a German car either.

I'm done ranting, just take it to VW on Grant by the airport and have them see what it is.

phillycivicsi
06-27-2009, 09:36 PM
nah, you need a dumptruck.

Y do u say that

Buster
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Cause it might last you more than a month.

phillycivicsi
06-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Lol that would be pretty bad ass dumpin **** all over cleaneons car when he has top lol

3rdGenMr2Girl
06-28-2009, 11:31 AM
i do believe as soon as you bought this car i told you of the electrical nightmere it would become.
i spoke the truth :(

phillycivicsi
06-28-2009, 11:35 AM
i do believe as soon as you bought this car i told you of the electrical nightmere it would become.
i spoke the truth :(

Yea u did but its fine warranty is still there and im stock

3rdGenMr2Girl
06-28-2009, 11:37 AM
^ your lucky. i shelled out soooo much money fixing my electrical problems and now i need wheel bearings. and of course it can't be like a normal car where you can do it yourself. no, there's some gay ass sensor in there so you have to take it to a shop/dealer and get raped. ughhhhhh.
/rant

Willdue
06-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Vw <3

phillycivicsi
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Vw <3

More like <\3

Willdue
06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
No, go on vortex, and get advice from them, theyll give you better advice then filling your head with thinking its a pos. Not so many biased assinine comments. I was throwing o2 sensor codes to, fixed an exhuast leak and it was gone.

Zillon
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Have you pulled up the previous service history on this car, if it exists?

Perhaps there's a reason why the previous owner dumped it after 2600 mi.

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 12:15 AM
No, go on vortex, and get advice from them, theyll give you better advice then filling your head with thinking its a pos. Not so many biased assinine comments. I was throwing o2 sensor codes to, fixed an exhuast leak and it was gone.

they said the best advice they can give me is take it to the dealer be thankful u have warranty which i am doin tommorow at 8 am

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Have you pulled up the previous service history on this car, if it exists?

Perhaps there's a reason why the previous owner dumped it after 2600 mi.

There is nothin in the carfax i got it before it even got its first oil change so there was no records on carfax idk im gonna bitch at them because the past 2 weeks i have been to the dealer every monday lol and then im goin again tommorow

Zillon
06-29-2009, 12:36 AM
There is nothin in the carfax i got it before it even got its first oil change so there was no records on carfax idk im gonna bitch at them because the past 2 weeks i have been to the dealer every monday lol and then im goin again tommorow

Service history from VW, NOT carfax.

Carfax doesn't pull up maintenence history last time I checked (aside from driveline replacements or bodywork).

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 12:48 AM
That's EXACTLY the stuff you get on car specific forums, they are just hounding to recruit more people into their clans. I've seen it everywhere, guys on different forums spitting out straight bull**** about other cars, Vortex is no different. The fact remains that Euro cars (VW included) are HIGHER MAINTENANCE VEHICLES, and people like you trying to tell him otherwise are those biased owners. It's just like the DSM crowd among others, I met a guy tonight at a meet, owned nothing but DSMs, said they are awesome cars but not reliable, there's other people parading around like they are the most awesome cars ever and telling guys "nah they dont break". Lets get real.

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Service history from VW, NOT carfax.

Carfax doesn't pull up maintenence history last time I checked (aside from driveline replacements or bodywork).

Nothin there i asked and they said the guy bought it in aug of 08 and traded it in oct 08 he had a fake right leg so his wife drove it all the time. The guys dad died and left him $$$ so he upgraded to an audi

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Nothin there i asked and they said the guy bought it in aug of 08 and traded it in oct 08 he had a fake right leg so his wife drove it all the time. The guys dad died and left him $$$ so he upgraded to an audi
And you actually believed ANYTHING that the dealer told you? What does him having a fake right leg have to do with anything, he can still drive the automatic, just like hes driving his new and upgraded Audi (as told by your dealer).

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 01:23 AM
And you actually believed ANYTHING that the dealer told you? What does him having a fake right leg have to do with anything, he can still drive the automatic, just like hes driving his new and upgraded Audi (as told by your dealer).

Like i said before his wife drives. Ybh vw is where i got it frm ybh audi is right next door. Anyways any major problems ybh is gettin sued

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
You can't sue the dealership if the car is a lemon, that's what Lemon Law is for.

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Then lemon law ftw!!

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't think your car is a lemon, it's just a typical VW, with a larger than normal ammount of issues, as small as they are, they are still there. I think Lemon Law applies to severe problems, like the time when Nissan had issues with the VQ25? burning oil and siezing up in the Spec-V Sentras and Altimas, and should apply to the new Civic Si with Synchro issues.

GTI_NY
06-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I understand that buying a new car and having things go wrong right away sucks, but you dont know for sure why the CEL came on. Did you fix PCV yourself or to a dealer? If you fixed it with Eurojet or BSH thats one less thing you have to do down the road when you get chipped :wink:

Elliott18t
06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
no no no.. your supposed to wear that CEL as a badge of honor.. you got it wrong.

Elliott18t
06-29-2009, 08:47 AM
the codes were p0130 and the other one was b2000
Looked them both up on google and both had to do with the o2 sensor

wtf is b2000.

if its just an o2 sensor its a BOSCH problem not VW. I hardly call this an electrical issue.. if you want an electrical issue, come work on my 20 y/o audi w/ me :P

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Went to the dealership this morning they were all backed up and busy so i got an appointment for tommorow. As i go sit in my car and start it up i notice the cel is not there anymore. I guess ill drive another 50+ miles today and see if it comes back on

Elliott18t
06-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Went to the dealership this morning they were all backed up and busy so i got an appointment for tommorow. As i go sit in my car and start it up i notice the cel is not there anymore. I guess ill drive another 50+ miles today and see if it comes back on

friends a6 does this when it rains a bunch. then its fine later on. starting to think bosch makes ****ty parts.

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
friends a6 does this when it rains a bunch. then its fine later on. starting to think bosch makes ****ty parts.

So it could have been the weather change

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
So it could have been the weather change
It shouldn't be.

Willdue
06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
It could be. Bosch makes ****ty o2's.

EACH IT
06-29-2009, 01:07 PM
So your car decides how it wants to operate depending on if it rains or is sunny out? :bigeek:
BRILLIANT !!!! call vw and tell them they should be weather forcasting, not building autos.
:thumbup:

Willdue
06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
ha. They build awesome cars.

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Just got a letter in the mail right now guess what its about? There is a recall on my driveshaft screws or somethin idk ill reread it and let yall know

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
i guess i was never meant to have a vw

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 02:19 PM

So your car decides how it wants to operate depending on if it rains or is sunny out? :bigeek:
BRILLIANT !!!! call vw and tell them they should be weather forcasting, not building autos.
:thumbup:

Lol lmao that was pretty funny

Willdue
06-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Just got a letter in the mail right now guess what its about? There is a recall on my driveshaft screws or somethin idk ill reread it and let yall know

thats whats good bout vw, i just got a recall on my car fixed, and my car is almost 10 years old.

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
ha. They build awesome cars.
Initial quality, yes. Long term, gtfo.
thats whats good bout vw, i just got a recall on my car fixed, and my car is almost 10 years old.
That's how a recall works with ANY car, not just VW :roll:
i guess i was never meant to have a vw
:wink:
Driveshaft? I don't think you have a driveshaft...you have axles, no driveshaft.

Willdue
06-29-2009, 03:26 PM
my cars ten years old and holds up just find. Stop giving opinions on what you read, you dont have experiance with owning one.

CleanNeon98
06-29-2009, 03:29 PM
my cars ten years old and holds up just find. Stop giving opinions on what you read, you dont have experiance with owning one.
My friends do, it was a nightmare for them. San's car has what...3500 miles, it's already giving him a headache on a regular basis. Don't forget I work for a dealership, I see what cars need what service and how much of it when we own them...Audis usually visit the service department most often, VW being a close second (only because we don't carry that many of them in stock). To top that, look at consumer reports, online reviews, JD ratings, the facts are all there. They aren't bad cars, just higher maintenance. Remember what TROLL had to replace on his Audi when he got it? Yea...

3rdGenMr2Girl
06-29-2009, 03:32 PM
i've owned two and they have both been nightmeres. i would NEVER buy another one. not only do they break often, they're a bitch to fix, and half the time you need to take it to a dealer or shop because they purposely built those cars so that you had to take them to the dealer. they have stupid sensors everywhere.

evomike
06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
I've owned 4 and had no problems except coilpacks and that was a known issue that wasn't a huge problem. His problem is probably something simple and stupid and if he had a scanner he would be able to clear it. And I'm sure if you went on vortex you could find out what the codes are.

Elliott18t
06-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I've owned 4 and had no problems except coilpacks and that was a known issue that wasn't a huge problem. His problem is probably something simple and stupid and if he had a scanner he would be able to clear it. And I'm sure if you went on vortex you could find out what the codes are.

exactly, any problem ive noticed is usually a dumb little fix. ive had one coil pack go.

phillycivicsi
06-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I did use the scanner and i erased it came back on but this morning it turned off by itself idk i really like my vw and i think its the best car i have ever owned the materials they used in making the car is really incredible btw i already have 7250 miles on it and its only been a month

Willdue
06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Im telling you, its something else causing it.

OWENthatsmyname
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
ha my car has high miles and runs great.

has needed nothing but routine maintenance.

and this is coming from one of the most problematic audi/vw motors ha.

ein
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
mmmmm.... much hate there is in here..... yyyyyyeeeeeeessssss.

evomike
06-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Did you ever think that the first problem also could have fouled out an o2 sensor, if the car was smoking and not running properly I don't see why that couldn't be the case I'm gonna say I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case

GTI_NY
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
we get this thing back from the shop yet or what?

phillycivicsi
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
i just dropped it off today ill find out by 3pm whats goin on

Nors
06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Initial quality, yes. Long term, gtfo.

That's how a recall works with ANY car, not just VW :roll:

:wink:

Driveshaft? I don't think you have a driveshaft...you have axles, no driveshaft.

Most manufactuers call them driveshafts, especially European manufactueres. :roll:

Take care of the car and it will be good to you. Audis are usually owned by people who have no idea how to work on cars (no offense to any mechanically savvy audi owners on TST). VWs tend to be owned by the same type, therefore alot of maintenance gets missed etc, and the cars reliability suffers down the line. True VW has been known for electrical problems for ages, and basically they have gotten a little better but not much. Problems can usually be solved with google / vortex and some general car knowledge. I really didn't want to make this post because now my car will probably not start!

Elliott18t
06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Most manufactuers call them driveshafts, especially European manufactueres. :roll:

Take care of the car and it will be good to you. Audis are usually owned by people who have no idea how to work on cars (no offense to any mechanically savvy audi owners on TST). VWs tend to be owned by the same type, therefore alot of maintenance gets missed etc, and the cars reliability suffers down the line. True VW has been known for electrical problems for ages, and basically they have gotten a little better but not much. Problems can usually be solved with google / vortex and some general car knowledge. I really didn't want to make this post because now my car will probably not start!

hahaha thats why I didnt say anything :mrgreen:

phillycivicsi
06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Just got the car back feels great no more lag when i step on the gas and the tech said it was a o2 sensor in the front which caused the car to react like that
Anyways thanks for all ur inputs ill talk to u guys in a week or less lets see when another prob starts backup

Willdue
06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Stop being so negitive and the VW gods wont hate you ;)

CleanNeon98
06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
mmmmm.... much hate there is in here..... yyyyyyeeeeeeessssss.
No hate, just sayin it like it is. I don't think I said even once that euro cars suck, only that they suck reliability wise.

Willdue
06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Not all of them suck dude, Ive had 2, and niether ever let me sit.

phillycivicsi
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
No hate, just sayin it like it is. I don't think I said even once that euro cars suck, only that they suck reliability wise.

Euro people suck u rooski

Elliott18t
06-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Just got the car back feels great no more lag when i step on the gas and the tech said it was a o2 sensor in the front which caused the car to react like that
Anyways thanks for all ur inputs ill talk to u guys in a week or less lets see when another prob starts backup

yeah, since thats the one that went bad its gonna mess up your AFRs. dont sit there and just wait for a problem, lol. Look online, if there is something that is known to be bad and there is a simple fix for it, change it. or you could just wait for it to break... which will most likely lead to other **** breaking. you shouldnt have another problem in a week...

CleanNeon98
06-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Not all of them suck dude, Ive had 2, and niether ever let me sit.
Yea I know, some are great, some aren't. From personal experience I've never owned one, my friend has a 2.0 GLS that treats him great with close to 100k miles, but other people I know (friends, family friends) had nightmares with them, even with proper maintenance. It's like I said, they tend to be higher maintenance, the issues are small but plentiful, I'm so used to jap cars at this point that I'm not used to seeing these things happen. My car has a few quirks as well, random misfire once every few months throws a CEL, car drives fine 2 seconds after and the CEL goes away 2 days after. Nothing is perfect but I see things happen to Euro cars that happen to Jap cars at far fewer intervals.

phillycivicsi
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
a design of a jap car is more simple an less complicated compared to a euro car these days

CleanNeon98
06-30-2009, 02:46 PM
a design of a jap car is more simple an less complicated compared to a euro car these days
Why did you say the same thing twice? And that's part of the reason, Euro cars tend to be needlessly complicated, no idea why. Maybe they're doing it for reliability, in which case it's not working well.

phillycivicsi
06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Why did you say the same thing twice? And that's part of the reason, Euro cars tend to be needlessly complicated, no idea why. Maybe they're doing it for reliability, in which case it's not working well.

Cuz its more jdm if i say it 2 times

EACH IT
06-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Is your vw running today? cause it looks like rain tonight. If your car isn't running, take an umbrella with, your car will be the first weather forcasting vw in the world....mu hu hahahahha.

j/k

Username
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Im on my second vw, and this one, and my old one (97 gti vr6), have never given me any major problems. Sure I replaced the timing chains, guides, head gasket, valve cover gasket, motor/trans mounts, and a few other odds and ends on the vr6 but it was all for maintenance at 100k. Other then that, it never died on me once, never got any cel's, no mis fires, no nothing. and NEVER left me stranded ANYWHERE!!!!! It ran perfect and never gave me a problem besides a tire blowing out when I hit a pothole but thats expected to happen.

My new vw has no problems, it runs great. Has 72k miles on it and I couldn't be happier with its reliability. Passed inspection 2 days ago, passed my personal visual inspection underneath the car, and the motor/engine bay. The car is mechanically sound. Some people just buy other peoples half ass projects and expect them to be perfect but in reality thats when they run into major problems because some driveway mechanic wired some **** wrong. Problems on a brand new one are just bad luck lol, but I have never had any major problems with my vw's. All good things from this previous, and current VW owner.

phillycivicsi
06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Is your vw running today? cause it looks like rain tonight. If your car isn't running, take an umbrella with, your car will be the first weather forcasting vw in the world....mu hu hahahahha.

j/k

I lol'ed

GTI_NY
07-01-2009, 09:00 AM
^ you go to a VW meet and predict the weather... they will think you are a god and try to vag com their car to do the same thing.

gtsiawd96
07-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Yup, there is a TSB open on the 2.0l fsi for Front o2 sensor faults, so VW/Audi has an improved o2 sensor for the replacement on those that fail.

I have replaced about 4-5 sensor in the past couple months on cars with less than 25k. Glad its back to normal for you.

CleanNeon98
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Yup, there is a TSB open on the 2.0l fsi for Front o2 sensor faults, so VW/Audi has an improved o2 sensor for the replacement on those that fail.

I have replaced about 4-5 sensor in the past couple months on cars with less than 25k. Glad its back to normal for you.
For now haha

Do you work for VW??

gtsiawd96
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
For now haha

Do you work for VW??

Hell be back no doubt. If not for his fuel pressure sensor, than for oil consumption, and if not for that than the intake manifold flap motor faults, and than the leaking coolant o-ring flange on the side of the head, Than the carbon build up issue on the back side of the intake valves causing cold start miss fires. Well find a way to get him to come back to Satan. aka. The Stealership. Its not cost effective to build cars that don't break.

Yah, I work for Audi.

cmr076
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM

have you EVER owned a german car?

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
have you EVER owned a german car?
Never wanted to, I can see the agony and don't want a part of it.

TGilb2007
07-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Clean..... the "agony" of owning a german car? About 95% of the VW/Audi owners I know, their cars spent VERY little time down for being broken. Friends mk3 VR went strong for about 150k miles, with only routine maintenance being performed, and he abused it. The motor/drivetrain outlasted the metal on the car (rusted hole in floorpan). I've seen more mk2/mk3 cabrios, fox's, jetta's, and golfs on the road then I can count. MUCH more then similar year American cars (minus trucks/conversion vans). And now that the mk4s are really showing age, for the most part, many of them are solid too.

Personally, for a realible car, I can't think of anything that would outlast most other cars out there other then a mk3 2.0 motor and manual trans. You keep on its maintenance schedule, and it'll rust away before it breaks.

Willdue
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Never wanted to, I can see the agony and don't want a part of it.

:roll:

evomike
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Mk3 2.0 will go forever with a 5 speed

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Everyone I know with the exception of ONE person, who has ever owned a german (or euro for that matter) car has had countless issues with it, and not because of lack of maintenance. That would be at least 10 people, and ONE who didn't have it bad. I don't like that ratio so no thanks on euro cars for me.

Willdue
07-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Dont speak until you own one. Ive owned 2, and never had troubles. I think theres enough people in this thread that have had no problems, so that out weighs your "friends". Dont speak unless you have experiance. Yea, they have some nic nack problems, but most of them can be solved by doing some research and spending 10 mins in the garage.

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Once again, from my experience, I see nothing but problems from them. I'd rather DRIVE my car than google TSBs every time some weird light goes on or goes out...I know, REVOLUTIONARY!

Hell be back no doubt. If not for his fuel pressure sensor, than for oil consumption, and if not for that than the intake manifold flap motor faults, and than the leaking coolant o-ring flange on the side of the head, Than the carbon build up issue on the back side of the intake valves causing cold start miss fires. Well find a way to get him to come back to Satan. aka. The Stealership. Its not cost effective to build cars that don't break.

Yah, I work for Audi.
Yea Brian, these all seem like real shadetree issues to me, let me whip out my sockets and get to work :roll:

phillycivicsi
07-06-2009, 11:05 PM
honestly knock on wood but after i fixed everythin i havent had a problem yet

face it no car is built perfectly even my old si had problems one example is the tranny issues i had

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
honestly knock on wood but after i fixed everythin i havent had a problem yet

face it no car is built perfectly even my old si had problems one example is the tranny issues i had
Part of that issue was a faulty trans, part was your driving habit.

phillycivicsi
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
true but that wasnt the only problems

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 11:07 PM
true but that wasnt the only problems
What else?

phillycivicsi
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
What else?

battery, got it replaced , battery terminals fail on hondas and i had couple bad ground wires. no engine probs because it is a n/a motor so i doubt engine wise there can be any probs

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 11:14 PM
A battery is maintenance, I don't consider that a problem. Whatever, I don't care. I have my opinions on the subject based on hard facts from people I know, they aren't changing just because someone tells me "no you're stupid, forget what you know and listen to me instead"

phillycivicsi
07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
A battery is maintenance, I don't consider that a problem. Whatever, I don't care. I have my opinions on the subject based on hard facts from people I know, they aren't changing just because someone tells me "no you're stupid, forget what you know and listen to me instead"

i see it as a problem if i have to go in for warranty work if ur battery goes bad under 25k miles come on dude

CleanNeon98
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
i see it as a problem if i have to go in for warranty work if ur battery goes bad under 25k miles come on dude
I've seen batteries go bad sooner, all depends how you treat it. I took my car in to get one of the top latches replaced because it wasn't sealing properly, it was a plastic cover that cracked because the previous owner didnt seal the top right once. They didn't have the plastic seperately so they gave me a whole new latch. That's not a problem, it's owner mis-use.

CELs, blowing smoke, pcv valves, those seem like problems.

Like I said, I just don't care.

Elliott18t
07-07-2009, 09:15 AM

no battery should go dead that fast, thats just retarded.
dont knock it until you own one..:)

Nors
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I've seen batteries go bad sooner, all depends how you treat it. I took my car in to get one of the top latches replaced because it wasn't sealing properly, it was a plastic cover that cracked because the previous owner didnt seal the top right once. They didn't have the plastic seperately so they gave me a whole new latch. That's not a problem, it's owner mis-use.

CELs, blowing smoke, pcv valves, those seem like problems.

Like I said, I just don't care.

PCV is maintenance....

Elliott18t
07-07-2009, 11:11 AM
and on mk4s if its the upper pcv hose which is known to crack for ****ty rubber... its a really easy fix, and your car is not gonna blow up lol.

CleanNeon98
07-07-2009, 12:57 PM
PCV is maintenance....
Granted, but at 3k miles?! :roll:

To me, its like going to a restaraunt. If 10 people told me they got sick from there, and one person says "no thats all bull**** its a good place" I won't exactly be convinced, and that's how euro cars are, MAJORITY of people I know who have owned them have had issues with them and I won't buy one to see "maybe I'll get lucky and have one of the good ones".
no battery should go dead that fast, thats just retarded.
dont knock it until you own one..:)
If you listen to the radio a lot with the car off, it wll go bad sooner. We've had cars at work with 7k miles that had batteries go bad too, but there were reasons for it.

Nors
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I think I might side with Clean now. Just broke 1-2 shift fork on a basically stock car with no aggressive shifting. Maybe I jinx'd myself with some of these posts.

OWENthatsmyname
07-07-2009, 01:25 PM
this thread needs to die.

Elliott18t
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
this thread needs to die.

yes, its a bunch of slander and hearsay in here.

Racersky
07-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Lemon Law only works if you were the first owner.

4DR_DB7
07-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Lemon Law only works if you were the first owner.

not true at all. Car only must not have already been deemed a lemon.

All that is required is a substantial problem that does not get corrected after 3+ attempts at repairs by an authorized dealer (not sure if you can use your own mechanic)

There are other mitigating circumstances like you have to report the problem within a certain mileage, etc... but you absolutely do not have to be the 1st owner.

Racersky
07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
not true at all. Car only must not have already been deemed a lemon.

All that is required is a substantial problem that does not get corrected after 3+ attempts at repairs by an authorized dealer (not sure if you can use your own mechanic)

There are other mitigating circumstances like you have to report the problem within a certain mileage, etc... but you absolutely do not have to be the 1st owner.

I just called Lemon Law Firm Serving PA & NJ for ****'s and giggles and they even told me you have to be the original owner as a used car there can be other issues.

Elliott18t
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I just called Lemon Law Firm Serving PA & NJ for ****'s and giggles and they even told me you have to be the original owner as a used car there can be other issues.

http://www.lemonlaw.com/bill767.html

CleanNeon98
07-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't know about Lemon Law personally but we have people sign the forms for it at our dealership, we only sell used cars.

R22B
07-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I love VW and Audi styling – I hate horror stories owners tell me. It seems older VW’s aren’t bad. The newer ones however, seem to be the worse ones. I heard Audi has some issues as well, but I can’t afford the cars anyways :D.

I don’t have any personal experience with either of them, I just know what my friends go through.

I never thought I’d agree with CleanNeon… but I did :-O. Considering how new the car is – it shouldn’t have any issues. Another thing, everyone is putting the blame on Bosch, but my parent’s cars have Bosch O2 sensors and they don’t have any issues.