PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want to help with

stichris
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
rewiring my battery to the trunk? I also want to do a grounding kit, while I'm at it. I have a copious amount of nice 8ga wire. I need to pick up some 4ga (should be enough?) to run teh battery to the trunk. I also need to figure out how to mount it, and if it needs to be vented, or what.

Probably going to do it this weekend, along with some other fun stuff.

Chris
The one who is buying the beer this weekend

96Stang
03-24-2005, 02:11 PM
talk to pete..he just did a grounding kit for his car and he said it actually improved alot with him

bjc26
03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
rewiring my battery to the trunk? I need to pick up some 4ga (should be enough?) to run teh battery to the trunk. I also need to figure out how to mount it, and if it needs to be vented, or what.

Couple quick things... I would go with 0ga wire if possible, 2ga if you can't get the 0ga for the positive wire. Makes it easier to start in cold conditions and especially if you are running a lot of electronics. You could probably get away with 4ga for the main ground from the battery to the frame but I would still do 2ga for it. I actually ran the 2ga ground to my rear shock tower as well as to the front of the car for the original grounding point. As far as venting it isn't as bad since you have a trunk that is "sealed off" from the passenger compartment but I would get one with a vent tube regardless. If I were you I would consider picking up a taylor battery box, sold at jegs/summit. It comes with all the wiring, connectors, and vent tube. For the grounding kit just run the 8ga wire (with good connectors) off of your front main ground point to all the major engine components. There should be some good grounding kit diagrams for your car floating around. I might be able to give you a hand this weekend, depends on if I get my motor out in time.

Just a reminder that when you move the battery to the trunk you have to have an external electrical cutoff (per nhra requirements) and should have a 100+ amp fuse mounted just after the postive wire comes off of the battery so you dont burn your car to the ground.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the relocation, I can snap some shots of the one I did in my dsm. If I am at rr tonight Ill take a look at it to see how hard it would be!

stichris
03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the pointers!

I will be at RR tonight.

bjc26
03-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I made some errors and edited some stuff... I'll try to get up there tonight and talk to you about it. The dsm won't be with me though. :(

Aaron
03-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Chris you can get a battery box at any boat shop. Theres a west marine on street road in bensalem.

ayim01
03-25-2005, 10:15 AM
dont you guys think a 0-2 guage wire install just for a starter cable would be overkill? i was thinking of relocating my batter to the trunk like my e46 has it, but im too lazy and that big empty hole would look ugly :]

stichris
03-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Good call, Aaron. Thanks!

Don't worry about that big empty space; just fill it with FMIC piping!

Chris

SpendOne
03-25-2005, 11:36 PM
I have a 1g DSM and rewire my batt. with 2 guage wiring with a moroso box. I did the grounding mod but ended up ripping it out besides the one to the TB. If you need some advice hit me up on AIM.