PDA

View Full Version : possible heads install, anyone wanna help for $$ and food?

jpalamar
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
So I'm thinking about upgrading from 241 LS1 heads to 243 LS2 heads.

I'm not sure what all I need for the install yet or how to exactly do it. Anyone done this on LS motors and wanna make a few bucks and I'll buy lunch and better?

GMLSDRIVER
07-07-2009, 03:33 AM
So your going to do this and you have no clue what your doing??

jpalamar
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
So your going to do this and you have no clue what your doing??

I have a general idea what to do. I got the heads, duel springs, valves, added a nice DD cam to the mix, new head bolts, new gaskets for everything.

I also have the big ass service manual for the car.

Never did heads on the LS1, but after rebuilding a DSM, anything is easier then that.

I'm already putting about 320 to the wheels, after this I'm hoping to be at about 375.

DsmRob
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't mind giving you a hand, where do you plan on doing all this?

jpalamar
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't mind giving you a hand, where do you plan on doing all this?

I have a garage, so at my house. My dad did a head gasket in my brothers car and he said it isn't hard, just takes some time. He said he would help me.

Thanks for the offer though!

alwaysinboost
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
don't know how tight the GTO engine bay is but the actual R&R of the heads is pretty straight forward.

The top end of a pushrod motor is a breeze to work on, no timing chains, gears or tensioners to worry about. just label what came outta where and make sure they go back in the same spot. Also, don't skimp on the torque procedure and make sure to install a set of ARP headstuds instead of new stock bolts.

jpalamar
07-10-2009, 07:41 AM
don't know how tight the GTO engine bay is but the actual R&R of the heads is pretty straight forward.

The top end of a pushrod motor is a breeze to work on, no timing chains, gears or tensioners to worry about. just label what came outta where and make sure they go back in the same spot. Also, don't skimp on the torque procedure and make sure to install a set of ARP headstuds instead of new stock bolts.

GTO engine bay is very open. It is alot different then the Fbody because the motor isn't as far back into the dash.