PDA

View Full Version : 96 240 clutch decision, experienced help appreciated

sleeperstyle
06-21-2009, 10:19 AM
just picked up a red 96 240 for a DD. needs a clutch, gonna do the flywheel/ pilot bearing/ throwout bearing while im there too.

the thing is stock, but i can be a pretty abusive driver. im looking at either the Sachs clutch kit (cheapest and susposedly better than oem) or a spec stg 1/2 (stg. 1 is 270$ stg. 2 is 300$). there is also a GOOD deal on ebay from "F1 racing" clutch/flywheel setup for 300$ but i don't trust it it's too cheap

don't know jack about these cars, only aftermarket clutch i've ever ran is ACT and they are too expensive for this applicatoin. opinions on a cheap DURABLE clutch for this thing. remember im not modifying it but i will be beating on it:mrgreen:

also anybody know where i can get a resurfaced stock flywheel (cheap)? when i do the clutch i wanna get it done that day, not wait to get the flywheel resurfaced.

KA24DET
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
The spec clucthes are very good in 240s. They are very durable and very streetable. My recommendation is for the spec. good luck.

grmreapr
06-22-2009, 09:42 PM
That or use a exedy clutch they are basically stock replacement and pretty good and cheap and stay away from the f1 clutch

sleeperstyle
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
i would personally go with sachs over exeddy for a stock replacement (sachs makes quality parts for other types of cars like vw's) but i think i am going with a spec. stg 2, that way i'll probably never have to worry about the clutch with near stock power levels.

what have you heard about the f1 clutch?

anybody have a lsd rear lying around for one of these? mine is non-lsd, found lsd differentials (jdm) for 300$ in clifton nj. i also know how you can use a 300z rear etc... only interested in 240 lsd rear.

grmreapr
06-23-2009, 09:37 PM
kid i know had a f1 clutch and after 300 miles it shattered into a million pieces and hit another driver on the road

sleeperstyle
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
damn! i figured cheap crap would fail, glad i didn't jump on that "deal" on ebay.

jdmwill
06-28-2009, 11:51 AM
competition clutch stage 5 sprunged with a new stock flywheel. i will never use anything else again, i love it. i have launched my s13 ka-t in third gear from a dead stop. plus i drove the car in a daily basis as a daily.

sleeperstyle
07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
went with sachs, friend got it cheap at cost (90$) and im short on cash so it's gonna have to work for now. hope it holds...

Ace
07-02-2009, 11:57 AM
i would personally go with sachs over exeddy for a stock replacement (sachs makes quality parts for other types of cars like vw's) but i think i am going with a spec. stg 2, that way i'll probably never have to worry about the clutch with near stock power levels.

Sachs may be good, but Exedy makes all Nissan OE and OEM replacement cluthes. I know you went with Sachs, but just wanted to clear that up :D.

anybody have a lsd rear lying around for one of these? mine is non-lsd, found lsd differentials (jdm) for 300$ in clifton nj. i also know how you can use a 300z rear etc... only interested in 240 lsd rear.

When going with a JDM VSLD, you often also change the Gear Ratio of the car (to a 4.36). This (IMO) wakes the car up (even in stock form) and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.

TalonTsi97
07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
just picked up a red 96 240 for a DD. needs a clutch, gonna do the flywheel/ pilot bearing/ throwout bearing while im there too.

the thing is stock, but i can be a pretty abusive driver. im looking at either the Sachs clutch kit (cheapest and susposedly better than oem) or a spec stg 1/2 (stg. 1 is 270$ stg. 2 is 300$). there is also a GOOD deal on ebay from "F1 racing" clutch/flywheel setup for 300$ but i don't trust it it's too cheap

don't know jack about these cars, only aftermarket clutch i've ever ran is ACT and they are too expensive for this applicatoin. opinions on a cheap DURABLE clutch for this thing. remember im not modifying it but i will be beating on it:mrgreen:

also anybody know where i can get a resurfaced stock flywheel (cheap)? when i do the clutch i wanna get it done that day, not wait to get the flywheel resurfaced.

Can't see you driving a 240 at all Nick. My buddy actually has a stock 96 240sx SE lsd from his car. He is looking for a stock non SE diff to get welded if you'd like to work out a deal. If your interested contact me and let me know if your interested at all.

Midnight Ryderz
07-02-2009, 03:15 PM
either OEM or ACT if its just gonna be a daily just got with the OEM

sleeperstyle
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Can't see you driving a 240 at all Nick. My buddy actually has a stock 96 240sx SE lsd from his car. He is looking for a stock non SE diff to get welded if you'd like to work out a deal. If your interested contact me and let me know if your interested at all.

why can't you see me driving a 240? i always liked the looks of the s14 just the prices on them were outrageous. i got a deal on this one since it needs work. not like im putting a body kit on it and going to HIN, just think it's a nice sporty whip.

im DEFINETELY interested in your buddies LSD but i have the SE model without the LSD option. if he is still interested pm me his #

seems like people like the exeddy over the sachs. oh well if i kill it im going with an upgrade, had a friend kill an exeddy in a couple months and his sachs is lasting as of right now.

ACE thanks for the info!

nrgotenk
07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
competition clutch stage 5 sprunged with a new stock flywheel. i will never use anything else again, i love it. i have launched my s13 ka-t in third gear from a dead stop. plus i drove the car in a daily basis as a daily.

Another competition 6puck sprung user, with "resurfaced" flywheel, and I love it. Daily drive mine also. nicolub had and ka-t forums had some great deals on the combo package.

TalonTsi97
07-02-2009, 08:35 PM
why can't you see me driving a 240? i always liked the looks of the s14 just the prices on them were outrageous. i got a deal on this one since it needs work. not like im putting a body kit on it and going to HIN, just think it's a nice sporty whip.

haha I can't picture you in anything but a formula but i think a 240 for a sporty daily is a nice pickup. I called my buddy up and mentioned this and suprisingly enough he got the same offer from one of his friends local. If the deal falls through i'll hit you up Nick.
Thanks

Ace
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
ACE thanks for the info!

No problem. Just a neat little upgrade for the car if you were looking for one. Not all come with th 4.36 F/D, but most do. You can usually find them for 250-350 with axles for a VLSD 4.36 R200 Diff.

sleeperstyle
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
^ cool. im def. gonna try to get the higher gear ratio.

i LOVE the way this thing handles/looks, but boy is it slow:lol:

everybody thanks for the info