PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting an STi

JustAgigilo85
12-15-2005, 03:36 PM
sup fella's? I'm thinking about getting a new car when I'm done with college in about 3 years. So far i've been looking into an 06 or newer WRX STi, black... with gold bbs rims. I need something with power, but don't want the weight and handling of a mustang, so the STi looks good for me. I'm not looking to do alot of mods to it, just lower it (i HATE wheel gap). Are Subaru's reliable cars?

teh DIRT
12-15-2005, 04:33 PM
very reliable. reliability leaves to some extent when you start modding. But in most cases they are very reliable. do it....you wont regret it

the mike
12-15-2005, 04:41 PM
MuddyWRX has been modded for like 70K miles or some crap.

dearp
12-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Ever since they changed their engines and inside guts of the car they have been such great cars. I actually work for a subaru dealer and i have to drive them all day haha so i like them.. i sell them so if you have any questions let me know Dearp@reedmantoll.com

teh DIRT
12-15-2005, 06:13 PM
oh noes! dearp is gona void our warranties! yeah when i said modding i meant heavy modding. like engine management, turbo, internals...that crap. if your just doing small stuff your car will last forever.

dearp
12-15-2005, 06:39 PM
HAHA any car that we mod to much isnt gonna last as long cuz we drive like animals and have fun haha

TurboTagTeam
12-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Mustangs don't have horible handling. That is a myth. THey aren't the best, but there are worse handling sports cars.

wgknestrick
12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
I would tend to stay away from the STI noting your NJ area. There have been soooo many stolen from NJ with more being stolen every day. I just would hate to see you constantly paranoid about your car, knowing the high thefts. One of my local buddies went to NJ and left his car for 15min, gone. Guy I bought my aquamist setup from had hood locks on his car. Looked like hell, but he was forced into it.

With the new EVO 9s being so much stronger now (thanks to big stock turbo), it is hard for me to sugest anything else to someone who is likely to just have a TBE and a chip installed. You won't make 350whp on stock STI turbo (more like 300whp), but the EVO is another story.

All this and I am an STI guy. EVO 9 is it right now.

karl
12-15-2005, 07:35 PM
http://media.ams-evo8.com/sevo826awhp.wmv is all i gotta say....and i own a wrx....

wgknestrick
12-15-2005, 08:04 PM
I would pick up a bare bones white RS. Best thing is, put the stereo you want in it, put the wheels you want on it, etc. You don't pay for anything you don't want. $29K and that big 10.5cm hotside. The interior (seats) are much nicer now compared to the EVO8

http://www1.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/ModelConfig?ModelID=45&TrimID=430&DestinationServlet=Self&1134690995579

Save up for a mild body kit, TBE, and a dyno flash. Do some cams if you still have money.

Overrated_Scooby
12-15-2005, 08:06 PM
In all honesty, those cars are already fast. Get a POS and make it a monster but to each his own good luck with looking around

the mike
12-15-2005, 08:07 PM
DAMN YOU! I want another RS now. The 9's are much nicer than my 8 was.

D Money
12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I would tend to stay away from the STI noting your NJ area. There have been soooo many stolen from NJ with more being stolen every day. I just would hate to see you constantly paranoid about your car, knowing the high thefts. One of my local buddies went to NJ and left his car for 15min, gone. Guy I bought my aquamist setup from had hood locks on his car. Looked like hell, but he was forced into it.

With the new EVO 9s being so much stronger now (thanks to big stock turbo), it is hard for me to sugest anything else to someone who is likely to just have a TBE and a chip installed. You won't make 350whp on stock STI turbo (more like 300whp), but the EVO is another story.

All this and I am an STI guy. EVO 9 is it right now.
I second that. My friend just got dyno'd with a tbe exhaust, o2 housing, intake, and ecutek flash by sean at ivy tunning. He made 340whp without tuning the mivec. Seans retuning his car with a fuel pump this time shooting for 380whp on stock turbo with only $1500 in mods. Its already been done, check the evom forums. Evo 9 is just a monster, I highly suggest you get that instead!

wgknestrick
12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Best thing is you don't have that big ass wing attracting all the cops. A white, wingless RS is so unexpecting. I really regret not getting a white STI. I loved my white WRX. If I didn't have $13K in mods on my car, I'd be thinking about....damn I'm still considering it.

D Money
12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Best thing is you don't have that big ass wing attracting all the cops. A white, wingless RS is so unexpecting. I really regret not getting a white STI. I loved my white WRX. If I didn't have $13K in mods on my car, I'd be thinking about....damn I'm still considering it.
Just paint it. Im sure that would be much easier. If you need a hookup on paint, let me know. Late

S4toSTI
12-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Hmm white sti and making it look like a 2.5rs hmmmm this guy.

the mike
12-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Hmm white sti and making it look like a 2.5rs hmmmm this guy.
(psst, EVO RS)

MPowerKai
12-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey I didn't see anything about needing turbo or awd so I nominate the E46 ///M3. 333hp 269 lbs torque. 50/50 weight distribution, handles pretty well in snow with snow tires, very comfortable ride, power/heated seats, auto leveling HID's, rain sensors, and great service at dealership.

wgknestrick
12-16-2005, 12:04 AM
but zero modding potential, 2 doors, expensive.

UnderPoweredRS
12-16-2005, 12:31 AM
buy a 98-01rs and do a motor swap :-D

JustAgigilo85
12-16-2005, 12:36 AM
no DSM's for me. But thanks for answering my questions about reliability. I'm not gunna get serious into modding, like bigger turbo's, internals, etc.

Gorilla Unit 33
12-16-2005, 01:55 AM
ohh god just what we need another scubbie on the boards lol anyway good luck buying one man let us know if u get it

MPowerKai
12-16-2005, 07:14 AM
See, he's not serious about modding. M3!!

1988 Olds
12-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Don't worry you got 3 years to worry about it is my suggestion. I know when I get outa school in 3 years or so I'll first be looking at what the new Mustang looks like personally. Probably the Evo X will be out or very close to being out also.

MPowerKai
12-16-2005, 08:49 AM
wait I change my mind in 3 years the GTR will be out!!!

capaGC8
12-16-2005, 08:09 PM
funny, does anybody realize how good of a value the WRX TR is? it's like $6-7k cheaper than the RS too...

thats a lot of mods.

wgknestrick
12-16-2005, 09:06 PM
no DSM's for me. But thanks for answering my questions about reliability. I'm not gunna get serious into modding, like bigger turbo's, internals, etc.

That's why the RS is the perfect car for you. TBE and a chip gets you 350whp. That is 400hp for $33000. It is hard to compete with that HP, proven platform, 4dr, and practicality. In the end, you will have the fastest/best handling car for your money and effort.

I would also look into the forester XT. They are super cars with the STI engine. STI suspension fits on and they handle comparable to a WRX (serious), but are much nicer inside. The chasis is very close to the imprezza. EVO mag rated the forester STI the #1 car recently. Not too many people have them either. Manual is the only way to go and they can be had for $25K

wgknestrick
12-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Here are some pics of modded forester XT s

jspek
12-17-2005, 12:41 AM
ha if i get one my insurance goes down. sti > zx2

JustAgigilo85
12-17-2005, 02:13 AM
what's up with tbe? what is that? and how much do those chips run for? Are they flashers?

D Money
12-17-2005, 03:32 AM
what's up with tbe? what is that? and how much do those chips run for? Are they flashers?
lol tbe=Turbo Back Exhaust. Most comon tune for the evo is a dyno flash. Alot of kids are now going EcuTek flashes or the piggy back Utec by Turbo Xs, most comonly used in Subaru's. For those big time racer guys AEM standalone is where it's at. Basically if you want 380whp on an evo 9, it can be dont with a TBE exhaust, fuel pump, o2 housing, and an EcuTek flash. These modifications would cost you no more than 2k out the door, tuned and everything!

Good Tuners:
TT or Turbo Trix Racing= Dyno flash, AEM standalone
Ivy tuning (sean)= EcuTek
Turbo xs Utec= Jermaine and Nathan @ Turbo Xs

Bubba Ho-Tep
12-28-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm an STi owner myself and also admit that the EVO is an awesome machine. Definitly more potential for higher #'s on the dyno. However keep in mind the EVO has a smaller engine and larger turbo...ie a small engine working VERY HARD= not as reliable as the Subaru.

I mention this because you ask about reliability.