PDA

View Full Version : Audi unveils diesel-powered R10

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Lets not make a big deal about this being my 4,000th post, I wanted to make this post something that was meaningful.

Audi have unveiled their new Le Mans 24 Hours contender - and have confirmed that it will the first front-running sportscar to have diesel power.

Expectation of the Audi R10 is high because it is the successor to the all-conquering R8, which won five out of six Le Mans 24 Hours races between 2000 and 2005, taking 61 wins from its 77 races in all. The R10 will be the first Le Mans car aimed at challenging for outright victory with a diesel engine.

Peugeot announced last summer that they are to return to the famous endurance race with a diesel-powered car, however their car will not hit the track until late 2006, with the aim of racing in the 2007 classic.

The new Audi R10 was unveiled in Paris today and has already completed a secret test programme at the end of November. It will make its race debut at the Sebring 12 Hours in March and will then continue testing before entering next summer's race at Le Mans.

The car will be developed by a joint collaboration between Audi Sport and Reinhold Joest's sportscar squad, who performed the work on the R8 project.

Seven-time Le Mans 24 Hour winner Tom Kristensen briefly drove the new Audi R10 today in a closed section of public road in the shadows of the Eiffel Tower close to the Trocadero.

The car looks similar to the R8 but has a longer wheelbase. The engine is new all-aluminium, 5.5-litre, twelve-cylinder bi-turbo TDI engine. It will be quieter and more economical on fuel, which could be a crucial competitive advantage in endurance racing. The German manufacturer estimates that the engine will have 650bhp with more than 1100 Newton Metres of torque (~810 FT/LBS), vastly exceeding that of the R8.

The usable power band is unusually low for a racing engine - between 3,000 and 5,000 revs per minute - and the driver will have to change gear less in the R10 than the R8 because of the engine's favourable torque curve. The large torque has meant that engineers have had to design a stronger transmission system, because of unusual forces exerted on the gearing.

"The R10 project is the biggest challenge ever to have been handed to Audi Sport," said Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "TDI technology has not been pushed to its limits in motorsport yet. We are the first to confront the challenge.

"The demands of such a project are accordingly high. Together we have the chance to write new chapters in the history books of motorsport and diesel technology."

Audi executives said that the reason they are entering with a diesel is that their customers would directly benefit from them pioneering the technology at sportscar level.

Professor Dr. Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management of Audi AG said: "The Le Mans project will help our technicians to extract even more from TDI technology. Nowadays, every second Audi is delivered with a TDI engine. We expect that the percentage of diesel engines will be even larger in the future."
Thanks Jet Jockey/A4 Pilot on Audiworld

The Old R8 Race Car
http://www.lemans.cz/vysledky/foto/AUDI%20R8R%202000.jpg
It amazes me with the sucess of the r8 i really feel as tho this is just audi testing themselves to do it all over again. The r8 in its final race at the 24 hours of lemans had so many resrictions on its power cause of its previous wins and yet it still destroyed the competition. I can't wait for this new race car it should be amazing to watch a diesel audi romping on its competitors. Yeah so discuss i guess.

Shades of Gray
12-13-2005, 06:20 PM
a little late, and off topic...but http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8113

where were you for this one barry!

poolmike
12-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Is it runnin' veggie oil???

That is bad a$$. I heard Gale Banks is building a Duramax powered truck to run in LeMans...

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 06:24 PM
a little late, and off topic...but http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8113

where were you for this one barry!
I saw that Ryan, Meh.

Mike i would love to see a truck running arround lemans, no fuel pits for the entire race now that would be something to see. I don't know how well it would handle vs some race cars but who knows. Either way i think bringing diesels into racing is a very cool thing i wonder what this will sound like.

Raven18940
12-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Diesels in racing....cool? Barry, you feeling alright?

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Diesels in racing....cool? Barry, you feeling alright?
Am i feeling ok, yes i am why do you ask.

Raven18940
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Ummmm, no reason. :whistle: How do they plan on winning with so few revs? And with 650 hp I was expecting more torque some how.

2point4DSM
12-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Torque is bad!

LOL

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Well remember this is not F1 we are not tlaking 19k rpms the r8 i believ reved only to 8k

Raven18940
12-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Well remember this is not F1 we are not tlaking 19k rpms the r8 i believ reved only to 8k
But still, 5K is uber low, that means they'll have to use taller gears, which will make it slow.

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 07:00 PM
i don't know about all that. 810ft/lbs is alot of torque and i assume thats gonna be achieved very low in that band which i would bet will help then pull out of turns alittler better then the competition. It is not all about hi revving engines when you have power threwout the rev band.

Raven18940
12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
True a good power band will kick peak power's butt any day of the week. It'll probably be making over 550 hp from 3K-5K, but will that be enough to overcome a 20% gearing disadvantage. I wonder.

dolphinS4
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM
You move all the good AW post here too fast. How about leavimg a few for me?
Diesel in Le Mans is cool though!

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 08:23 PM
You move all the good AW post here too fast. How about leavimg a few for me?
Diesel in Le Mans is cool though!
Well what can i say, i am gifted in the art of stealing other people stuff... you probably wouldn't give credit to whoevers post it was tho you stealer.

MuddyREX
12-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Lets not make a big deal about this being my 4,000th post

No, lets make a big deal!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/muddyrex/newbanana.gif

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Is my name B.Troll cause i don't think it is so i don't think that makes me a big deal in which case what i do is intern not a big deal.

MuddyREX
12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I really like the idea of the diesel engine because it will give Audi a huge advantage in an endurance race like that. I don't know why it being quieter matters, because no one likes a quiet race car.

Is my name B.Troll cause i don't think it is so i don't think that makes me a big deal in which case what i do is intern not a big deal.

Hello.

I'm a period .

I'm a comma ,

Nice to meet you. :mrgreen:

Sorry Ash, I know you are the grammer nazi.

WhiteXFire
12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
And Monica Lewinsky is an intern...I believe the phrase you are looking for is "in turn" :thumbup:

BTW, everyone keeps arguing over how fast this thing is going to be. The Le Mans is all about endurance, not a drag race.

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 08:56 PM
I am sorry but if you put a prius in the race it would finish... maybe, but it would not complete more laps then anything else.

WhiteXFire
12-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I am sorry but if you put a prius in the race it would finish... maybe, but it would not complete more laps then anything else.
That's because it's Japanese and not German... :finga:

S4toSTI
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
That's because it's Japanese and not German... :finga:
What does that have to do with anything.

poolmike
12-13-2005, 10:59 PM
diesel's kick a$$
http://www.bankspower.com/DmaxTypeR.cfm

92dxman
12-13-2005, 11:41 PM
This thing is going to be a monster. Puegeot is going to run a diesel at Lemans in the next year or two. Diesels are becoming more widespread in motorsports in general. BMW and VW both run diesel engines in the Touraeq and X5 rally trucks in the Dakar Rally. There are a couple rally teams in the US that run tdi Golf's in Group 2.

Across the board, Audi builds superb race motors. In the ALMS, the Audi teams can usually go 3 races before the motor needs a rebuild.

Offtopic but has anybody seen the Movie Lemans with Steve McQueen? If not, I highly recommend it. He does all his own driving in the movie and some points on the track he hit upwards of 235 mph. He doesn't say his first dialogue until 45 mins in the movie. How badass is that?