PDA

View Full Version : Seat Cover removal WRX

JoeScooby
12-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Has anyone removed their seat covers? I heard it was a real PITA to remove and even worse to install, they are do for a wash and using the shampoo machine is not enough. Working on the planes = nasty = nasty seats and rugs.

Mr Tomtastic
12-12-2005, 10:29 AM
take the seats out of the car - 4 14mm bolts

flip the seat over and find 4 bolts(12-14mm i think) and remove the bottom cushion from the seat. you'll have to pull some wires off. around the front of the cushion should just pull off the metal pan/tray, its like weather stripping or something like that. ther should be 2 plastic clips on either side and hogrings on the back. after you remove all that, flip the material up and remove the hog rings holding the material down to the top of the seat.

for the lean back...
unzip the zipper inside the headrest hole. at the bottom back there should be plastic clips that clip together, undo them, and unzip the 2 zippers that go vertical along the back. inside along the side, you will find a strip of fabric rapped around the metal frame with a 8 or 10mm nut holding it together. take the nut off and loosen the fabric strips. now, gentally roll the seat cover over the front of the cushion, careful not to rip the cover, exspecially around the corners. now you can remove the hog rings holding the cover down to the top of the cushion.

I recommend NOT doing this if you have no experience in upolstery work. I spent a year recovering factory seats in leather for dealerships and it isn't the easiest thing unless you've done it before. The removal won't be too bad, but putting the covers back on so they look nice will be a pita.

JoeScooby
12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
ok, maybe I will stick with the shampoo machine. How bout you add that to our tech section, very good DIY!

Thanks for the info