PDA

View Full Version : Questions about aftermarket WRX parts

Scooby3
12-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Im plannin on getting an 02 WRX soon. I was wondering, what would be the best bov to get??? also exhaust (not loud and annoying, but one that sounds good and gives some increase in hp) im not too familiar with what aftermarket parts are good for subaru's and since i love the WRX and STi, i guess i better start learning.

Smokescreen
12-06-2005, 09:25 AM
bov? None. It messes with our MAF. No intakes either. PDE pipes are nice and don't cause CELs...but are kinda expensive. Greddy Evo2 catback is fine, but I still can set off car alarms in philly, worst in the parking garages. Depends on what you like to hear.

JoeScooby
12-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Everyone is going to say a BOV is bad for our car. It really up to you, if you must have the sound go for a 50/50 type deal or even one of the fully adjustable ones. Go fast bits is one of the good ones but can be a little pricey, I think there is one for sale in the "For sale" section. I have a BOV cuz I go against the data, it’s a Forge atmospheric BOV... havnt had any problems with harsh idol, etc. On the other hand I usually keep it on for short periods cuz the whoosh sometimes aggravates me. For exhaust, there are allot of choices out there. If you stop by WRXFanatics.com there is a section in the engine forum that has sound clips of everyone’s exhaust on that forum, I think over 200 last count. I have a blitz nur spec, its louder then frik. I recommend a Scooby sport, again it’s on the pricey side but the sound is awesome.

CELS, any pipe (up-pipe,down-pipe,mid-pipe) will cause a cell if the sensors arnt properly taken care of. Usually all the pipes come with a CEL elliminator so you can wire it into the sensor harness. On the mid pipe you can usually make your own mechanical cel eliminator, its 2 sparkplug nonfoulers threaded into the bung, it pulls the 02 senor out of the stream maybe 1/2 inch. Besides that the Cobb access port or anytype of piggyback EMS's usually get rid of the CEL's anyway. I have a A-Port and I love it, im not going to do any major work besides a VF34 and supported mods so im not going the piggy back route. There is a world of parts out there for us, and thousands of websights. My favortes list takes about a minute to browse through. The information is pentyful as well, so get to reading.. our cars are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry finiky.

JoeScooby
12-06-2005, 09:43 AM
bov? None. It messes with our MAF.
You have a HKS SSQV

xEJ20x
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Buy the Worx adjustable from the Mike.

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7178

HuffRex
12-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Depends if you want a loud exhaust or a quiet exhaust!!!

xEJ20x
12-06-2005, 02:00 PM

HKS Hipower is best of both worlds. :mrgreen:

HuffRex
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
true, i don't think helix would be a wise choice if he wants loud haha

xEJ20x
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
true, i don't think helix would be a wise choice if he wants loud haha

I'm personally goin with Bosal downpipe with a optional race pipe.
That way I can put the stock cat back on when needed. :mrgreen:

HuffRex
12-06-2005, 02:40 PM
good idea george, i'm keeping my stock dp and catback for emissions purposes, since i'm totally catless now haha

the mike
12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
The GReddy SP2 is a great "quieter" exhaust. Still gives you the serious growl, but doesn't drone inside the car.
Avoid the Blitz NUR Spec, TurboXS RFL series, and most definately the BPM Twister. Seriously loud exhausts.

The WORX I have for sale is a good compromise between sound and function. It is fully adjustible, so you can vent to atmosphere if you want or you can vent back to the intake to avoid the richness between shifts.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE TRANSMISSION IF YOU GET AN 02-03. They are a little weaker than the 04+ models. Not scary, but don't expect it to hold up to launching every light, and powershifting.

Good luck with it, feel free to ask any questions you might have.

mike

Scooby3
12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
thanks alot man. like i said i dont know a whole lot about em. i also dont plan on abusing the crap out of it either. just a quick, fun car to crusie around in

JoeScooby
12-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Thats what we all said :wink:

Scooby3
12-06-2005, 05:29 PM
yea you got a point lol

xEJ20x
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
thanks alot man. like i said i dont know a whole lot about em. i also dont plan on abusing the crap out of it either. just a quick, fun car to crusie around in

Well here is some required reading for WRX owners and prospective buyers.

Unibomber's Manifesto (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787)

WrxJC
12-06-2005, 07:10 PM
The injen SES is pretty quiet. Its the only one NOT on the site w/all the exhaust clips, but i have it, and it sounds good. Not too loud at all and i have the downpipe too. AND the cool thing about the injen is there is no CELfix, the o2 senser attaches to a little "leg" sticking off the actual exhaust so it doesn't throw a code. IF you wanna spend a lot of money of course, i DEFINATELY reccomend INJEN.

JoeScooby
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I say the first thing you do is rip that up-pipe out and get some EMS, then work it from there.

Smokescreen
12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
You have a HKS SSQV
And i'm swaping it out for the stock one. No problems, but just getting a little tired of it.

JoeScooby
12-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Injen makes some quality products, way to pricey IMO other peices can be found for less. For instance, im not going to name names buttt one company uses a certain shorty downpipe twin dump I have and they coated it. Well I paid 229 and they sell it for well over 300 bucks. There are so many different ways to go man, I’m going to re-enforce Scooby sport exhaust products. If I had the money I would redo my entire setup all with SS, well maybe a crucial up and down pipe, then follow up with the scoobs. Only you can prevent a forest fire. The Injen down pipe is the fully catless product, usually people in NJ or other inspection states try and go for the shorty down pipe that way the can swap out cats when they need to go test. I have the bosal 3rd pipe (Mid-pip) great product, but I'm speaking for myself... i know a few people with a full catless down pipe. My recommendation is to show up to some meets, check out some peoples exhaust and see what you like the best

:::coughcoughScoobySportcoughcough::: :-p

WrxJC
12-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Im in PA, no cats required if your not throwing a code. So i can get away w/injen. PLUS, your right...REALLY expensive stuff. But i too know a guy :)

D Money
12-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Im in PA, no cats required if your not throwing a code. So i can get away w/injen. PLUS, your right...REALLY expensive stuff. But i too know a guy :)
ewk injen sounds like crap. Id say if you want something really loud get blitz nur spec, if you want something in the middle get hks carbon ti/hi power, and for something quiet get greddy evo 2 or borla hush. For bov's, not needed unless your running a front mount that doesnt allow you to use stock bov. Same thing goes for intake. Id say for your first mods to do an up pipe, down pipe, and cat back. Then get a tune either ecutek, utec, or cobb ap. After the tune you check engine will go away. If it doesnt in the egt sensor in the up pipe, get a resistor from radioshack for 89 cents, cut the tips, bend it into a square, tape it into the sensor, and be on your way. No more check engine light, car runs great and FAST!!

JoeScooby
12-10-2005, 05:31 PM
blitz is way too loud, if you want to hear it have a listen to mine if your going to the champs meet next week. I stuck my silencer in for the winter.

D Money
12-10-2005, 06:25 PM
blitz is way too loud, if you want to hear it have a listen to mine if your going to the champs meet next week. I stuck my silencer in for the winter.
Yea I know how loud blitz sounds, two of my friends got it. Im either gettin that or the invidia g200. My hks carbon-ti is loud, but not loud like I want it.

ScoobyNubieToo!
12-10-2005, 06:42 PM

That's profound......... like the sound of one hand clapping.
:lol:

ScoobyNubieToo!
12-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Im plannin on getting an 02 WRX soon. I was wondering, what would be the best bov to get??? also exhaust (not loud and annoying, but one that sounds good and gives some increase in hp) im not too familiar with what aftermarket parts are good for subaru's and since i love the WRX and STi, i guess i better start learning.
I'll address your post one part at a time:
First BOV is nothing but sound but I would recomend either a WORX adjustable BOV or a GFB STealth adj bov. I have the GFB and I'm very happy with it. It has a great sound and isn't very annoying. As far as exhaust goes, you're not going to get much of an HP bump from a catback alone....it's mostly a sound thing. Don't get me wrong, replacing the stock muffler (seen below in a cutaway shot) with anything else is definately less restrictive but you won't see much of a performance increase without dumping a few cats. If you want quiet, go with either a Borla Hush, the SPT muffler or the Bosal singletip (which is the same as the SPT exhaust). If you wanna a little bit of rumble but not annoying or loud and ya don't wanna melon-shooter exhaust, then go with the older Bosal twin tip. I have it one my car. It has a great V8-like rumble and doesn't sound annoying or buzzy. The newer Bosal Twin Tips have actually been redesgined to be a little quiter now though so if ya like the rumble shop around EBAY, other forums classifieds, or online vendors to find an old-style Bosal twin tip exhaust. Good luck!
http://www.foxtuning.com/photos/02subaruwrx/02subaru34.jpg

xEJ20x
12-10-2005, 06:53 PM
That's profound......... like the sound of one hand clapping.
:lol:

HKS Hipower is loud at WOT and nice and calm at sub 5,000 rpms. :mrgreen:
So its like one hand clapping....

and the other hand gets an airhorn. :finga:

ScoobyNubieToo!
12-10-2005, 09:27 PM
HKS Hipower is loud at WOT and nice and calm at sub 5,000 rpms. :mrgreen:
So its like one hand clapping....

and the other hand gets an airhorn. :finga:
:lol: :supz:

WrxJC
12-11-2005, 01:53 AM
ewk injen sounds like crap.

DOES NOT :finga: Come listen, i prove it to you :)

D Money
12-11-2005, 02:36 AM
DOES NOT :finga: Come listen, i prove it to you :)
It's an opinion. Let me retract my previous statement, I meant to say injen exhaust sound is not to my liking, It sounds good but not the sound im looking for on my personal wrx.