PDA

View Full Version : 98 ZX6R Ninja carbs issue!

hatchRus
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Whats up guys. I need some advice on a situation.
For about 3 weeks now I have been working on a buddys bike, a 98 Kawasaki ZX6R. Everyting is mechanically sound on the bike, but im having a problem with what I think are the carbs.

When I start up the bike and do the choke process everything runs fine. Its when im riding and I shift into 2nd gear where the problems begin. When I hit about 8000 rpms in second the bike begins to bog out. Im cracking the throttle but there is little to no power! Also when im comming to a stop at a light the bike just shuts off while im downshifting. I thought it may have been due to old gas, so I put some fresh gas in the tank along with some fuel stabilizer. Im still having the same issues. Could this be a Carb problem?

The guy my buddy purchased the bike from said the carbs have been recently cleaned. My question is what are the steps I can take to solve this issue. Is there a fuel additive I can purchase to help this out, or do I have to get the carbs clean?

Thanks for your help guys.

Corey

driftingrx5.7
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
if you was closer i could test the carbs and make sure they are sync'ed i will show my dad this thread and see what he thinks. he know a little more about the carbed bikes then i do

95SC2
04-29-2009, 07:31 PM
its a possibility, how does it idle while off the choke? do u know if when they were last cleaned if they rebuilt it or just reused the old parts? It could also depend on how long it has been sitting, if they were serviced a year ago and its been sitting for the last 6 months or so they could be gummed up again

93EGY8
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
my brothers bike did that when the cdi box took a ****, his is was a 98 cbr though.

hatchRus
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
its a possibility, how does it idle while off the choke? do u know if when they were last cleaned if they rebuilt it or just reused the old parts? It could also depend on how long it has been sitting, if they were serviced a year ago and its been sitting for the last 6 months or so they could be gummed up again

When its off the choke it idles pretty low, like 1500rpms. Sometimes it dips below that and sounds like its about to shut off. My buddy says the guy he purchased the bike from said the carbs were cleaned, but I dont believe him. I think were just gong to get the carbs completely serviced at a shop so we can eliminate this issue.