PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk gear!

R22B
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
So I convinced the old lady to let me get a motorcycle. I've always been on the fence about getting one (father was an avid motorcyclist in his late teens into his early 20's). A family friend stopped over and I sat on his and his wife's bike and had them running. It just felt sooo right. The older Harley though rattled my brains silly after 3 minutes though.

I'm opting for a 250cc for a beginner bike because I've read they are more forgiving, lighter, and more nimble then the bigger bikes. I know, I've read a ton and people will say "Youll get bored of it in a week dont waste your money" but the fact is - I'm not looking for speed, I'm looking to really enjoy the ride. I read over the PA motorcycle operator manual once and its just a lot of common sense (although clutch and brake placement was good to know!) So I hope to take the exam today or at least with in a week.

Now I am looking at gear... and there is a TON of crap out there. This is where I refuse to skimp out on. If I drop a grand on gear - then so be it. I'd rather stick to around $800 or less, though.

I've been looking at 1 piece suits because it seems like they offer the best protection. Any opinions on 1 piece suits?

Another question is should I invest in riding shoes or riding boots? Boots seem like they would stay on the feet a little better if I ever dumped the bike.

Gloves is probably one of the more valuable things that I want to get. Considering I develop websites - my hands cant be hurt or I am out of work. I've read that gauntlet style gloves are the best. Is this true? It also seems they will help protect my wrist from snapping front or back.

Last but not least, brain bucket. Is there anything I should look in a helmet (other than being DOT approved)... like ventilation?

If anyone has any brands or products they recommend, let me know. Thanks a ton everyone.

PAFirefighter11
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
A 250 is a good beginning bike. Don't listen to anyone else. If you get a 250 Ninja for example, it'll help you learn the basics with relative ease, compared to having a 600cc+ bike and learning the basics... not usually a good idea. Too many new riders go out and buy the faster bike they can afford. This can be a fatal error. Learn the basics. Learn to ride. Sell the 250 if you so desire after a summer of riding. There's a lot of guys here with 250 Ninja's who seem rather happy with them and I have a few friends with them as well.

Site to visit for good prices on gear: http://www.newenough.com
Or check your local bike shop.

Here's what I personally have... The leather is mainly my cool/cold weather gear. The red textile pieces are my warm/hot weather gear:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/photos/511144548_ByTPY-XL.jpg

I just have Timberland boots that go above my ankle. According to most people I've spoken with, including some who've wrecked with such boots on, this is enough. Make sure to tuck your laces in so they don't catch on anything. I am considering a nice riding boot though.

I would not recommend full leathers for summer. You will sweat like you've never sweat before. If you do want a "suit", I'd recommend a 2 piece that zips together if you feel so inclined. It's nice to wear just the jacket and not always the pants. I'm purchasing a pair of Kevlar Reinforced Joe Rocket jeans, that have removable CE approved padding in the knees They look like normal jeans, until the padding is put into the knee area. Pretty cool idea.

Gloves are very important IMO. I have shorter gloves (just past the wrists) for summer. I have longer (midway between wrist and elbow) for winter. I personally like Joe Rocket and have been happy overall with their quality. You're right about longer gloves, though. When I ride with the shorter ones on, there is a space between my gloves and my jacket in certain riding positions.

For helmets if you want the best of the best, you want a SNELL rated helmet. DOT is usually good enough. SHOEI, Fulmer, Arai, Scorpion, etc., are all great noggin cover brands. I have the Fulmer Modus M1 Modular helmet (Orange/Reflective in the photo above). The whole front face portion opens up. This is incredibly useful, especially if you just wanna grab something to eat real quick and don't feel like taking your helmet all the way off.

Hope some of this helps...

zerioustt
04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
You could get a 09 gixxer 600. It has 3 modes of power on it..one being the equivalent to a 250. This way if you ever want to step up the power its right there.

driftingrx5.7
04-29-2009, 02:09 PM
everything above i agree with BUT the boots get your self a pair of riding boots better protection and the one part that scares is shoe laces! i have seen (only once) a friend where sneakers and the lace got caught on his shifter not a good thing. besides that a good set of gloves two jackets like listed above one for cold weather and one for warm/hot weather. glove depends on what feels good to you, i have a set that covers my wrist and i have another set that stops at my wrist personally i like the ones that go over my wrist just a pain in the butt to take off and put back on over and over again. so short rides to like the store and stuff i wear the short gloves and when i am going on a trip i take the long gloves. good luck and keep us posted on the bike and gear you get.

i have to ask how tall are you and how much do you weigh? that can play a factor in what bike you should get as well, i started on a 750 and went to a 1000 and i have been at 1000 for 8 years now, a buddy of mine started on a 250 and sold it in 2 months and jumped on a 600 and has been there since. all you have to remember is respect the power. Also if you can take the safety class to me 100% worth it! i am taking the advance class in june

PAFirefighter11
04-29-2009, 03:12 PM
i have to ask how tall are you and how much do you weigh? that can play a factor in what bike you should get as well, i started on a 750 and went to a 1000 and i have been at 1000 for 8 years now, a buddy of mine started on a 250 and sold it in 2 months and jumped on a 600 and has been there since. all you have to remember is respect the power. Also if you can take the safety class to me 100% worth it! i am taking the advance class in june

I started on a 750, went to a 450, and now I'm at my 650 V-twin ;-) lol. And I'm taking the Experienced Rider Course in May.. what location are you taking it at?

enigma
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Those v-twins in a sport bike frame are pretty sweet rides.
But at a minimum, get a GOOD textile jacket padding/armor in the elbows and shoulder and back, none of that mesh crap, good pair of comfortable riding gloves with hand padding and knuckle protection, a well fitting helmet( I have a shoei rf1000 fits great), and look into a good set of above the ankle boots.
Upgrade to gauntlet style gloves when you want to more aggressive riding, as well as a good leather jacket to boot.
For any gear, look and see if it is CE rated, america doesen't have a crash rating system for armour, but europe does, two levels ce and ce2.

R22B
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the ton of useful information everyone. I know I'll probably grow out of a 250 but I don't trust myself with anymore more. If I feel I need something more powerful then I will just get another bike to go along with the 250R :). I'm 5'11'' and weight 250lbs. I know its going to be struggling a bit but I am fine with that.

I've been comparing a ton of 250's but right now I'm stuck between a Kawasaki Ninja 250R and a Hyosung GT250R. I like the Ninja 250R because its liquid cooled and 6 speed trans, but I like the looks of the Hyosung and plus its an underdog. I will always give an underdog a shot at glory. I read they had a TON of issues when they first released in early 2005 and upto really 2008. I've read nothing but great things about the 2009's and people actually prefering them over the Ninja 250R. The only thing that will make the difference is what will feel better when I sit on it. The Hyosung GT250R has a much further reach than the Ninja 250R and considering I've only set on a 1986 Kawasaki 440 (I think that was it) and a old Harley... they are complete different dogs and sports bikes so I dont know what I'll prefer.

Back to reading the motorcycle operator manual :D

driftingrx5.7
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I started on a 750, went to a 450, and now I'm at my 650 V-twin ;-) lol. And I'm taking the Experienced Rider Course in May.. what location are you taking it at?

i am taking it here in the poconos at the army depot where are you taking it at? my buddy teaches the class in forks or something like that

PAFirefighter11
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
i am taking it here in the poconos at the army depot where are you taking it at? my buddy teaches the class in forks or something like that

Ah I didn't see that you were up in the Poconos. I'm taking it in Phoenixville.

R22B
04-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I read the entire operators manual… and a lot of it was common sense. Don’t speed, don’t drive while drunk, leave 4 seconds between you and the car in front of you, look ahead (12 seconds) and plan an “escape” route constantly if something were to happen… really just plain old common sense. It had some useful information about driving where other motorist can see you and the bike diagram of where the clutch, front brake/rear brake, horn, etc was pretty useful. I’ve learned a lot just by reading “stories” from other motorcyclist. For example, DON’T LOOK AT THE CLUTCH OR BRAKES WHEN YOU HIT IT… lol. I read how some guy was having an issue shifting and he looked down at the clutch and when he looked up, he had about 20 feet between him and the stopped car in front of him.

I’m looking to take my exam this weekend or next Wednesday. I can’t help but be a little nervous about it.

I had a person come to my house last night and said that I would look like an idiot on a 250 due to my size and a tool bag wearing full race gear on it. I said maybe so, but I don’t care if someone thinks I’m a wuss from riding something small or a tool for wearing race gear on a 250cc bike. If I accidently quick hit the throttle, the 250’s more forgiving and the full race gear will protect me from the inevitable fall that I’m not looking forward to.

I’m not about speed; I just want to drag a knee.

PAFirefighter11
04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Call him a Squid, send him some YouTube vid's of people wrecking their 1000cc sport bikes with no gear on. Then feel better about yourself for being smarter than they are.

driftingrx5.7
04-30-2009, 01:43 PM
wow now its 4 seconds. when we took the class (back in 2000) it was 2seconds get the permit and take the safety class you will enjoy it and take the class before you get your bike once you do that you will see how a 250 feels :D

R22B
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Call him a Squid, send him some YouTube vid's of people wrecking their 1000cc sport bikes with no gear on. Then feel better about yourself for being smarter than they are.
I tend not to listen to him. He likes to tell stories of when he used to peg his bike at 180 or 190 or some **** going down Route 22. Whatever he says’s goes in one ear and out the other. I’ve grown quite fond of the saying “Don’t dress for the ride, dress for the slide” or however it goes. I’d rather sweat my nuts off than loose a side of my body to asphalt.

wow now its 4 seconds. when we took the class (back in 2000) it was 2seconds get the permit and take the safety class you will enjoy it and take the class before you get your bike once you do that you will see how a 250 feels :D
Haha yep, it’s just like cars now. I definitely want to take the MSF but I’ll probably do it after I get my own bike. I’d just rather learn on my own bike although I’m not sure if you take the MSF on your own bike. Anything that can make be a better and safer driver quicker, the better.

robmart777
04-30-2009, 03:15 PM
should definitely go for the 09 gixxer 600 you might get bored of a 250 fast alot of people do but just a thought have fun good luck

PAFirefighter11
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I tend not to listen to him. He likes to tell stories of when he used to peg his bike at 180 or 190 or some **** going down Route 22. Whatever he says’s goes in one ear and out the other. I’ve grown quite fond of the saying “Don’t dress for the ride, dress for the slide” or however it goes. I’d rather sweat my nuts off than loose a side of my body to asphalt.

Haha yep, it’s just like cars now. I definitely want to take the MSF but I’ll probably do it after I get my own bike. I’d just rather learn on my own bike although I’m not sure if you take the MSF on your own bike. Anything that can make be a better and safer driver quicker, the better.

Sounds like you're good with that then lol.

The BRC uses their 250cc Nighthawks, Ninja's, and a couple other small bikes. The ERC requires you to bring your own bike.

Ender81
04-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Good advice from everyone, I would like to add to pay as much attention to the hp as the engine size. As an example I have a 750cc Honda that puts out roughly 70hp. The new Yamaha FZ6R (Their "Beginner" bike) puts out somewhere around 98hp. 150cc less 28 more hp. If you can get your hands on an older Honda CB500 that's a great bike to learn on and be able to keep for a few years. It also has roughly the same hp as a Ninja 250 (I believe they are both roughly 50hp), just something to think about.

TurboTagTeam
05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Gear- Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. I don't know how people can ride in full suits on the street for casual riding. A race suit is made for exactly what its name implies...racing. Yes, its defiantly the best protection but if your going to be in any kind of traffic in hot weather with a full race suit on....it's gonna SUCK BIG TIME.

I ride in a textile armored jacket (getting a high quality leather one soon), Leather gauntlet gloves, Alpinestars SMX+ boots, and a Icon Airframe helmet(complete CRAP---getting replaced by a Arai RX7 corsair soon)

Defiantly go to a place were you can try on your gear before you buy it. It's extremely important that gear fits right.

R22B
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Gear- Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. I don't know how people can ride in full suits on the street for casual riding. A race suit is made for exactly what its name implies...racing. Yes, its defiantly the best protection but if your going to be in any kind of traffic in hot weather with a full race suit on....it's gonna SUCK BIG TIME.

I ride in a textile armored jacket (getting a high quality leather one soon), Leather gauntlet gloves, Alpinestars SMX+ boots, and a Icon Airframe helmet(complete CRAP---getting replaced by a Arai RX7 corsair soon)

Defiantly go to a place were you can try on your gear before you buy it. It's extremely important that gear fits right.

I heard they are hell in stop and go traffic. Frequent stops and staying hydrated should help keep down on fatigue. I'm worried about it but right now, its on the back of my list.

I failed the damn learners permit test. I missed silly questions that I second guess myself on. I'm retaking it on Wednesday and hopefully I can pass.

To cheer myself up, I went to Cycle Gear in Allentown and picked up AlpineStar SP-2 gloves.
https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/files/details/d_6253.jpg

I found a helmet I like but I have to do more research on it. Its a GMax GM68 and I'm looking to get it in matte black.

PAFirefighter11
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Check out http://www.webbikeworld.com for reviews of parts, accessories, gear, etc. They are here in PA too!

tort9320g
05-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Most of the time i ride in a heavy leather jacket, gloves, a top notch helmet, overpants and a spine protector. I believe in staying in tact. The hardest thing for me is staying out of the throttle on my ZX10r. Good luck.

Dave

Blaise
05-07-2009, 12:23 PM
You could get a 09 gixxer 600. It has 3 modes of power on it..one being the equivalent to a 250. This way if you ever want to step up the power its right there.

Where the hell did you read this. This is so far from true it's not even funny. Did the salesperson tell you this to try to get you to buy one as a new rider?

Yikes.

As for beginner bikes, I started on an EX500. I think an EX500, SV650, GS500, or EX650 would work fine as a starter bike. I'd be happy to help you shop around and get a decent deal. I would recommend a naked bike, you will drop it and plastics are pricey. I would not recommend an EX250, etc.

Now, Gear:

When I used to street ride I owned street sets of gear: Hot, Cold, and wet. The helmet is pretty much the only interchangeable part between these three (I wore a helmet sock when it was very cold).

For Hot gear I always wore perf leather, however, if you're willing to risk some rash in exchange for more air flow, you could try a mesh type. I wouldn't risk it.

For Cold, I wore a 2pc HJC solid leather suit. It's for sale if you want it, I can't use it at the track. For rain/commuting I had a 2pc Textile suit (also for sale). I'd cruise around on www.newenough.com.

Since it's now summertime, I would suggest something similar to the following:

Jacket/Pants: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/sg1_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html I would not recommend a 1pc for street riding, it's a pain.

Helmet: You need to try these on. I wear an EXO700 and it fits perfectly. Buy what fits, not whats recommended or cheap.

Gloves: Any FULL LEATHER (not mesh or textile) armored glove. Must be full gauntlet. Figure $50+

Boots: Not timerlands. Buy actual motorcycle boots... I wore my sidis nearly year round. Figure $150-250.

Feel free to PM/etc for more advice.. I really like that you've taken some steps to avoid the common noobie errors, so I would be happy to help you along.

R22B
05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Where the hell did you read this. This is so far from true it's not even funny. Did the salesperson tell you this to try to get you to buy one as a new rider?

Yikes.

As for beginner bikes, I started on an EX500. I think an EX500, SV650, GS500, or EX650 would work fine as a starter bike. I'd be happy to help you shop around and get a decent deal. I would recommend a naked bike, you will drop it and plastics are pricey. I would not recommend an EX250, etc.

Now, Gear:

When I used to street ride I owned street sets of gear: Hot, Cold, and wet. The helmet is pretty much the only interchangeable part between these three (I wore a helmet sock when it was very cold).

For Hot gear I always wore perf leather, however, if you're willing to risk some rash in exchange for more air flow, you could try a mesh type. I wouldn't risk it.

For Cold, I wore a 2pc HJC solid leather suit. It's for sale if you want it, I can't use it at the track. For rain/commuting I had a 2pc Textile suit (also for sale). I'd cruise around on www.newenough.com.

Since it's now summertime, I would suggest something similar to the following:

Jacket/Pants: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/sg1_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html I would not recommend a 1pc for street riding, it's a pain.

Helmet: You need to try these on. I wear an EXO700 and it fits perfectly. Buy what fits, not whats recommended or cheap.

Gloves: Any FULL LEATHER (not mesh or textile) armored glove. Must be full gauntlet. Figure $50+

Boots: Not timerlands. Buy actual motorcycle boots... I wore my sidis nearly year round. Figure $150-250.

Feel free to PM/etc for more advice.. I really like that you've taken some steps to avoid the common noobie errors, so I would be happy to help you along.

How much are you looking to get for the 2pc HJC leather suit? Better yet - what size it? I'm on the larger side of things.

I'm buying a helmet locally. After trying on three different helmets, I've learned not all mediums are mediums and sizes fluctuate.

I've already picked up gloves. Gauntlet style, of course. Alpinestar SP-2.

I've been looking at boots. I'm diggin' a few Alpinestar's I've seen.

Blaise
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Just noticed that, my suit won't fit you (it's a 46).

Buying local is fine as long as they pricematch to online pricing... I'm on my 3rd Scorpion EXO700 and I won't pay over $130 for them (MSRP is like $399).

Good call on the AStar gloves.

Out of interest, have you considered used gear? There's some VERY nice slightly used racing gear on the wera board and such, cheap...