PDA

View Full Version : What should I know about the B6 S4?

ndubz
03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
My buddy is looking to buy a B6 S4 V8. I know very little about the cars issues. I'll be doing some research but if anyone here could tell me what to look out for that would be great. Anything helps. thanks

Buster
03-21-2009, 07:03 AM
and save you the trouble of clicking your mouse nah..

ndubz
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok, anyone who isnt a douchebag please help me out. Id really like to hear from people in the VW/ Audi community. thanks

Buster
03-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Ok, anyone who isnt a douchebag please help me out. Id really like to hear from people in the VW/ Audi community. thanks

well since you put it that way, good luck with them.

ndubz
03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
And by douchebag I mean Buster. i need legit input here, this isnt the place to F around. Plz dude, if ur gonna be a dick, do it somewhere else, I thought this was over. grow up.

tdmopar59
03-23-2009, 12:21 AM
I have the b6 a4 and talk to plenty of people with the b6/b7 s4 the v8 is a much more reliable motor than the previous 2.7tt They are a great handling car and have plenty of perks such as the quattro system, 4 door, plenty of power (with a huge aftermarket for more), the interior is top notch including the 12 recaro heated seats... Most come fully loaded.... any more questions let me know or i could even send you to a couple nice forums!

sweetmeat
03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
My buddy is looking to buy a B6 S4 V8. I know very little about the cars issues. I'll be doing some research but if anyone here could tell me what to look out for that would be great. Anything helps. thanks

gas mileage obviously, 10 quart oil changes.

Be weary of pre 10/2003 build dates. known tranny issues, specifically with the 2nd gear synchro as well as valvetrain problems.

Also, some have electrical issues. Coil packs go bad at 300 a pop.

They are expensive cars to fix, and to work on, so your friend should have deep pockets or a knack to turn wrenches.

Also, if they are into modding, this isnt the car for him. Minimal power gains with boltons and a SC kit that runs for 12K plus.

lownslow95
03-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Why don't you go tell your buddy to search Audi forums? They would have a ton of info on there.

dolphinS4
03-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Had one for 3 years and 50k without an issues.
As stated, stick with a late B6 with lower mileage and all should be fine. Coilpaks do go but they aren't $200, ~$70 range.

Tell your buddy to pick up a pair f/r sways also. Best bang-buck mod for this car. The AWE resonated cb was my fav mod though.

Imo, one of the best luxury performance buys right now for low $20k.

Fireman
04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
From my knowledge the V8 is prolly a better buy than the 2.7T, no boost, but a hell of a lot more head room to add power and more reliable. Fuel is gonna be a huge difference. Overall if hes gonna drop the money, leave plenty for parts cause its gonna expensive either way.

deb38
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Epic 3rd gear.

If you have a 20k budget. You could probably find a B7 near that range. A much better exterior and a fairly pleasing interior.

And 2.7T > 4.2V8, at least from a performance and modification standpoint.

jjm4life
04-05-2009, 11:39 PM
From my knowledge the V8 is prolly a better buy than the 2.7T, no boost, but a hell of a lot more head room to add power and more reliable. Fuel is gonna be a huge difference. Overall if hes gonna drop the money, leave plenty for parts cause its gonna expensive either way.

nothing could be further from the truth.
2.7>4.2 all day long. 4.2 is crazy expensive to modify especially if you look at horsepower per $.
great luxury car, certainly not the "handler" it should be. think of it as an autobahn bomber.

Papa Smurf
04-09-2009, 06:42 PM
2.7>4.2 all day long

Only if speed is all you care about. If your friend is looking for an all around great luxury performance sedan with a much nicer interior and exterior (up to debate), then get the B6. If he want's to do a lot of modding and wants to race everyone, then maybe he should look at the B5. Yes the 4.2 might be more expensive to fix, but the 2.7TT (especially modded ones) needs to be fixed a lot more often.

tdmopar59
04-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Only if speed is all you care about. If your friend is looking for an all around great luxury performance sedan with a much nicer interior and exterior (up to debate), then get the B6. If he want's to do a lot of modding and wants to race everyone, then maybe he should look at the B5. Yes the 4.2 might be more expensive to fix, but the 2.7TT (especially modded ones) needs to be fixed a lot more often.

well put!!

dolphinS4
04-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Coming on the scene as we speak right now are a couple of S/C set-ups for the B6/B7 S4's. AWE/VF and PES all have IC versions that expect to get this car to 380-400 whp. Price about $6-8k.

tdmopar59
04-10-2009, 02:03 AM
yeah the kits will get cheaper too when they're not fresh to the market

tomustang
04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I remember reading somewhere the V8's are retarded mount. I didn't buy a V8 A6 because of that

deb38
04-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Coming on the scene as we speak right now are a couple of S/C set-ups for the B6/B7 S4's. AWE/VF and PES all have IC versions that expect to get this car to 380-400 whp. Price about $6-8k.

I think it is going to be more like 10K+ and then labor.

The ASP kit, which is competing with the VF/AWE kit is priced around 11k.

I also wouldn't expect the prices to drop too much. Initial K04 stage 3 setups haven't changed since day one. In fact, the turbos went up drastically in price. But those are OE piece...so that is a slightly different story.

tdmopar59
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
i wanna see your car btw deb38 things gotta be bad ass!!!!!!

dolphinS4
04-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I think it is going to be more like 10K+ and then labor.

The ASP kit, which is competing with the VF/AWE kit is priced around 11k.

From what I remember from a couple months back, there will be a couple of configurations available... centrifugal (ASP), roots (AWE/VF/PES), all with the option of I/C or not.
And now that you say it, $10k sounds about right for the AWE/VF unit with I/C, but I do believe that included install at AWE.
Again, I could be mistaken. I'll have to call an old B6 buddy who is running a BETA S/C for AWE right now.

PES is just starting to BETA tune/test cars right now.

Beware of 1 local black b6 S4 sedan and 1 avant.

I find it interesting that 2 of 3 companies (PES & AWE) producing these units are right in Bucks/Montgomery counties only 20 minutes apart.

deb38
04-10-2009, 09:33 PM
From what I remember from a couple months back, there will be a couple of configurations available... centrifugal (ASP), roots (AWE/VF/PES), all with the option of I/C or not.
And now that you say it, $10k sounds about right for the AWE/VF unit with I/C, but I do believe that included install at AWE.
Again, I could be mistaken. I'll have to call an old B6 buddy who is running a BETA S/C for AWE right now.

PES is just starting to BETA tune/test cars right now.

Beware of 1 local black b6 S4 sedan and 1 avant.

I find it interesting that 2 of 3 companies (PES & AWE) producing these units are right in Bucks/Montgomery counties only 20 minutes apart.

Ahh I didn't know the AWE included the labor. To be honest, if I had to choose between PES and AWE, I would go with AWE. Partly because VF really has those S/C's down pat, but mostly due to AWE has GIAC create their files. PES, assuming they are doing the same tuning they did for the 2.8 motor, really has a terrible tune that they sell with that kit. I can't imagine the 4.2 being a much better tune.

i wanna see your car btw deb38 things gotta be bad ass!!!!!!

Thanks. It is almost done. Shooting for 600whp on pump!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/brusind/27BuiltwithCar.jpg

Shoolig
04-10-2009, 09:43 PM
With bolt-ons I've seen around 300AWHP out of the V8 ones (not much more or less), which, isn't bad but isn't powerful by any means.

Reliability wise I've never heard of any stereotypical issues on the B6-7s. I think the interiors, exterior, fun to drive factor is better with the V8's as well.

I'd be looking at an M5 if I were in your position (although the M5 interior isn't that great) but if you must get an S4 than I'd go with the V8 over the 2.7T- it's def. no beast but it's a refined very functional car that's enjoyable to drive and take girls out in.

Papa Smurf
04-24-2009, 09:50 PM

Actually, I think the VF/AWE unit is being produced at the VF facility in SoCal.

lownslow95
04-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Why don't you go tell your buddy to search Audi forums? They would have a ton of info on there.

Yeah, I just quoted myself. Would be the best solution to find an answer about Audi's.

andresito360
05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
check out adizine, they have tons of info there. I am kind of in the market for one but have not been able to find one with all the options I want