PDA

View Full Version : Wierd drivetrain noise, goes away with clutch engaged.

OMGz Turbo
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Okay so yesterday i took the car out, parked it, washed it. Basically gave it a quick detail and then got ready took the carseat and strapped it in and got ready to take my daughter home.

Car started normal, felt good gave it a little boost...pulled great.

About 5 minutes later im pulling into a section to cut through to a gas station and couldnt get into ANY gears...about 30 seconds goes by and i finally get into 4th, after the car is rolling im fine into any gear....Pull into gas station then i hear this odd noise at first i couldnt describe it but i went to another gas station filled up and left car is still acting funny, and then again couldnt get into gears. So instead of trying to limp the car to my girls house to drop jasmine off, i take it home and park it. Now immediately as i pull into the drive way i run up and grab the ramps, and cautiously pull the car up.

I step out, and listen...kinda inspect if you will. Now upon closer investigating its definitely drivetrain oriented. About 3 weeks ago i had both axles replaced. But this sounds like a nut just spinning around.

My ideas:
Seized throw out bearing...
Flexplate nut came loose? < this would describe what alot of guys get from torque...But my car is pretty much stock..

gsrboi80
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
TOB or input shaft bearing in the trans. Likely the lattter

Buster
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
That sounds like a beat up TOB to me.

05OCsrt-4
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
mosy likely your throwout bearing

The Captain
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Is the noise occurring when you are disengaging the clutch? What does a nut sound like when it's spinning around?

I always thought the TOB noise was a whinning sound

05OCsrt-4
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Is the noise occurring when you are disengaging the clutch? What does a nut sound like when it's spinning around?

I always thought the TOB noise was a whinning sound

TOB can have a variety of noises honestly, easiet way to tell most the times is the noise goes away whenever you depress the clutch, the no gear thing sounded like a shift selector until the thread starter mentioned the noise

OMGz Turbo
03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Shift selector is a MINT Billet one haha.

Okay well im putting it in the shop since i have no room in my garage and no tranny jack.. Someone from ACT clutches said it may be a spring from the clutch that might be rolling around either way im taking no chances.... This is my baby that is abused on a daily...Need it in tip top shape, So ill be buying some Royal Purple at the same time for the tranny fluid.

Vr-4-Life
03-19-2009, 01:31 AM
change your vtec fluid.

OMGz Turbo
03-19-2009, 08:58 AM
change your vtec fluid.

Already did man..And i topped off the blinker fluid hoping it was a blinker running dry... no luck

Subie_sleeper
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Weird trans noises when the car still drives can be worse than if it just grenades. I recently started getting a weird vibration from my driveline when the car hits boost. As far as I know PPG doesn't make a center diff yet :( I hope your issue is minor and you get back on the road soon. Good luck man

MsSilverTurbo
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
OMGz Turbo here on my girls name

Yeah i appreciate it, its scary thought but it sucks...im really contemplating fixing it and then selling it....Looking for a trailblazer SS or SRT8 jeep