PDA

View Full Version : b-series guys check in, i haz question

superskaterxes
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
so me and my buddy just rebuilt the engine on his integra GSR. everything went back together fine but when you turn on the car, the idle jumps between 800 and 2G's over and over. what could this be? we have gone over every single connection. this also only happens once the car warms up.

russiankid
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Did you bleed the cooling system properly?

MTuning
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
idle problems on hondas can be alot of things. a common mistake when putting it back together is using the wrong plugs since a handful are alike and FITS multiple sensors. the ECU kicks in when its warmed up and starts reading sensors but not getting the correct readings. If everything was running fine before and NOTHING has changed than i would go over the electrical stuff. Honda's are picky on grounds too. make sure all grounding are where they are suppose to be or atleast grounded.

russiankid
03-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Doesn't the ICV have coolant running through it on the B-series as well?

superskaterxes
03-01-2009, 05:41 PM
hmm we will have to go over the car better. he did just beef up the grounding system so its prob not that.

and what does the coolant have so much to do with it?

Spocknasty
03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Clean your IACV screen and check your TPS. My D16 used to do that.

russiankid
03-01-2009, 05:47 PM
hmm we will have to go over the car better. he did just beef up the grounding system so its prob not that.

and what does the coolant have so much to do with it?

I wasn't sure if the ICV has coolant running through it or not. If it does, an air pocket will throw it off. I know it does on A series motors.

superskaterxes
03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
he said he cleaned the IACV screen and the TPS was fine. keep em coming boys

james_ls
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Proper ECU?

2001teg
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Double check and bleed the cooling system again.

MTuning
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM
dumb question but timing was aligned properly on cams and crank? IACV and ECT has the right connectors on? they're the ones that gets mixed up. it could be the tps off calibration but that shouldn't of been off. there is coolant going through the IACV but is it overheating? what year is the motor? does he have the crank angle sensor? chipped ecu or stock? are the grounds in their stock location? checked for vacuum leaks? any mods?

driftingrx5.7
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
i am going with IACV or bad vaccum leak

dubjinc
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Mine did this when my primary O2 and tps sensor threw codes.

superskaterxes
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Proper ECU?

stock ECU, nothing changed

Double check and bleed the cooling system again.

will have to do this tomm

dumb question but timing was aligned properly on cams and crank? IACV and ECT has the right connectors on? they're the ones that gets mixed up. it could be the tps off calibration but that shouldn't of been off. there is coolant going through the IACV but is it overheating? what year is the motor? does he have the crank angle sensor? chipped ecu or stock? are the grounds in their stock location? checked for vacuum leaks? any mods?

he bypassed the coolant on the IACV. its a 95 b18c with 140k on the clock. no crank angle sensor. its got a whole new grounding system and no vacuum leaks. its got intake and CBE.

Mine did this when my primary O2 and tps sensor threw codes.

brand new O2 as well.

ill report back tomm guys after some more checks and coolant flush

sundaybikes
03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
you sure no vacuum leaks or clogs? my b16a2 surged like that and it turned out a vacuum line was a little kinked or disconnected or something.

TurboGSR96
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Why did he bypass the IACV? Hook it up the way Honda had it, make sure there is .50ish volts at the tps with the throttle closed and around 4.5 with it fully open. If it has a FITV take that off and clean the inside of that too along with the IACV.

superskaterxes
03-06-2009, 12:00 AM
whats fitv

Dlaub25
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
The FITV was the problem with mine. Its mounted on the bottom of the TB. Should have 2 hoses connected to it. Its what the holes on the inside bore of the TB are linked to. (well I know at least one of them is). I wound up getting a block off plate from KMS. It looks pretty nice and it solved the problem. What the FITV does is allow extra air to bypass the throttle plate on cold starts. I have been fine wiithout it in 0 degree weather.

highmilehatch
03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Why would you bypass the coolant on the IACV??????

Sounds like your problem right there.

And throw that stupid grounding kit in the garbage. They do nothing but clutter the engine bay.

nacoupe
03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Why would you bypass the coolant on the IACV??????

Sounds like your problem right there.

And throw that stupid grounding kit in the garbage. They do nothing but clutter the engine bay.

I'd have to agree . .

Or a vaccuum leak somewhere

Keeper1343
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Your coolant prob has air in it. Happened to me. Also, im not sure if that motor had a EGR valve on it or not but ive seen people mix the TPS connector and EGR connector.

highmilehatch
03-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Your thinking of TPS and MAP. No EGR on that engine.

Mastakmk
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM
im supprised no one asked you what year teggie this is... AHHH the imfamous idle problem.. everyone LOVES. haha. it could be something as touchy as a slight vaccum leak. or u may have 2 sensors mixed up on the TB (throttle body) it could be the ecu.. common vaccum leak areas are the tb and IM (intake manifold) spray carb cleaner around the areas. whith car on. idle should rise. umm.. like i said check ur connections as well. make sure sensors are propperly pluged. any CELS? if you have an obd1 u have a fast idle thinggy.. under the throttle body. there is a black cap on it and a white screw in it. tighten the screw. umm.. if its obd2 then u wont have that. did u install a new intake manifold? if u did like a skunk 2 .. u have to remove a handfull of things and if the vaccum is not properly hooked up that will do it also.

what year is it? what work is done?

Mastakmk
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
your coolant level will not be the cause of the wack idle

cny1320.com
04-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Take your intake tube off when the idle is surging. Put your finger over the holes inside your throttle body. There should be a few. One for your FITV, one for your IACV, and one for your idle set screw. If you put your finger over one of those and the idle goes back to normal that's where your problem is. Either take the throttle body apart and clean it or just block them off.

superskaterxes
04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
its a 95 gsr

cny1320.com
04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Put your fingers over the FITV and IACV and let me know if that fixes the problem. If so just drive around with someone under the hood. j/k. I'm subscribing to make sure you fix this simple problem without getting frustrated.

Keeper1343
04-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Your thinking of TPS and MAP. No EGR on that engine.

Well i just know that on my h22 those connectors look the same. the tps and egr im talking about.

superskaterxes
04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
none of those options worked. i think it might be a grounding issue ill have to do some more diagnosis.

cny1320.com
04-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Spray brake cleaner all around the injectors, intake manifold, and vaccum lines. I'd bet you'll find a vacuum leak.

hookedonhatch
05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
def a vacuum leak, if all else is good

SovXietday
05-01-2009, 01:20 PM
stock ECU, nothing changed

he bypassed the coolant on the IACV.

That's your problem right there.

Either reroute coolant back through the IACV (intake air control valve) or tune the car with an EMS.

A vacuum leak on a Honda does not normally cause a jumping idle. It normally causes a higher, rough idle.

BseriesEG
05-30-2009, 09:08 PM
some aftermarket throttle bodies by pass the coolant line in directions. atleast i know my old blox billet on did. but i never had a problem with the idle jumping around. id check the plugs on the intake manifold one plug switched around sets things all outta wack.

vtecwhat!!
06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
fast idle screw under throttle body? they get loose and back out over time due to vibration... or vacuum leak makes sense. its always somethin stupid...

mtownsi
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
wat year? is the cel on? if it was the iacv it would most likely code. did you properly bleed you cooling system?

vi3tsi06
08-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Clean your IACV screen and check your TPS. My D16 used to do that.

thats what id say

superskaterxes
08-01-2009, 07:45 PM
That's your problem right there.

Either reroute coolant back through the IACV (intake air control valve) or tune the car with an EMS.

A vacuum leak on a Honda does not normally cause a jumping idle. It normally causes a higher, rough idle.

why would he need to retune if he deleted it?

bertvtec
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
yea check ur vacuums and r ur gaskets on right round ur intake mani no air leaks

bertvtec
08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd have to agree . .

Or a vaccuum leak somewhere

i also agree

SovXietday
08-09-2009, 07:20 PM
why would he need to retune if he deleted it?

Not necessarily retune but the stock ECU wants to read the IACV. If there is no coolant flow it doesn't mean the ECU just ignores the IACV, it means it gets the wrong readings, inputs the wrong values, and your idle is all f'ed up. That's what happens when your screen gets clogged.

With aftermarket EMS you can tell the ECU to ignore the IACV and assuming your tune is on it will react correctly.

If that doesn't fix your problem, have the car smoke tested, but I really don't think a vac leak is your problem. I've blown off many vacuum lines, and like I said, higher and rough idle, not one that goes up and down. That is almost always an IACV coolant flow issue.

integra1128
08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
i had the same problem check all vacum lines for and wear or holes that could be it