PDA

View Full Version : Need some help fella's

enohand
02-28-2009, 10:33 PM
ok heres the deal...

i have a 96 infiniti g20, i just put in a 99 g20's VSLD, & a lightweight flywheel from JGY....well apparently there are 2 different flywheels,,, a 108 & a 109 tooth flywheel.....so if u install the 108 in a car that needs a 109 (my case) it throws a CEL for the "crank position sensor...so im stuck....i dont have the time or resources @ my disposal to pull the tranny back out put in the stock flywheel & get it inspected (which i need,, it was up in jan) so im wondering if its possible to hijack the signal coming from the sensor, & then feed the ECU the correct signal......im thinking like a restor or sumtin...not sure yet, that why im posting...

from my understanding of the sensor, its a hall sensor, that ass the flywheel spins the sensor creates a magnetic field, 1) somehow counts the teeth on the flywheel, or 2) since the lightweight flywheel is chrom-olly, it doesn't pickup/feed in to the magnetic field, or 3) the engine only think the crank position switch is bad, due to how fast the RPMS drop while shifting into neutral....

any help would be greatly appreciated

enohand
03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
wow....no one?

iwanagofast
03-23-2009, 04:35 AM
try getting the crank sensor for the other fly wheel.
umm if that doesnt work or if there the same your other ideas are wrong except for it counting the teeth.
how it works is the wheel spins .... spinning and spining.... the sensor reads the grooves by way of magnetic field which gets interupted by the grooves. the metal that its made shouldnt make a difference and if did then they wouldnt use that metal because numerous complaints will arise. i am not sure if you have another wheel on your fly wheel .... ie a ring gear its a little gear wheel on the fly wheel like on my max trans.

but none the less try going to advance auto or something and checking to see if there is a different plug for teh 109 adn 108
yea worst comes to worst you can always gett boo jee lick and stick stickers

J.E.T.
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Thoughts of using a downstep harness (OBD2 to OBD1) and OBD1 ECU?

I've ran across a few CEL codes on my 98 that I couldn't get rid of due to P.O. hacking up engine harness and since the car was a previous 1.6, swapped in SR20DE a few problems arose. First off, rear O2 sensor on 1.6 were located on the exhaust downpipe, where the 2.0 is at the cat converter. Another problem I ran into was the Intake Air Temp Sensor, the P.O. thought it was smart to cut it off the harness.

So I decided to invest in the OBD2 to OBD1 downstep harness with an OBD1 ECU. Took care of the codes that I had problems with. Since your using a flywheel intended for OBD1, your problem could be solved using this harness and OBD1 ecu.

If you are looking for this harness, member zer099 on sr20forum makes the harness (http://www.sr20forum.com/electronics-gauges/239353-obdi-obdii-adapter-harness.html) upon request.

enohand
05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
thanks for the info guys.....i managed to get stickers.....

for ECU i have a Calum RT wating to be installed...i just gotta sort threw some other **** first

drift monsta
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
try swaping the tooth ring......

enohand
05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
im not as much worried about it now (since i got stickers) but next year i will be. again......

as for changing the ring gear & uses the correct sensor.....

OBDII (nissan/infiniti) cars use a 108 tooth flywheel & have a sensor in the front of the trans
OBDI cars can use either, & they dont have the sensor in the front of the trans...un hooking the sensor, still throws the code & car runs ruff

Cant swap the ring gear, becasue the LW FW is all one piece.....& i dont want to risk the chance of grinding/cuttinging the gear off. & welding a new one on & worry about it coming off....so no go on that