PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car in Pennsylvania registered in Arizona still?

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Well I most likely am going out this Saturday to pick myself up a beater. However I am not sure exactly how this is going to work out at the Pennsylvania title place. The owner of the car moved from Arizona to Pennsylvania. He still has residence in Arizona and that is the reason why the car is still titled and registered with Arizona plates. Now I went onto Arizona's website and it looks like they are required to have the title notarized with his signature on it. Does that mean he has to go back to Arizona have the title notarized with his signature on it so he is able to transfer the title to me in PA? Or can we both just go to a PA title place and they are allowed to notarize the title for him?

He originally said he would just sign the title over to me and also do a bill of sale. However being that Arizona requires the signature to be notarized I guess he must come to the title place with me? It stinks the first local PA beater car in my area that I like and it has to be registered to another state. I also am going to have to deal with getting the inspection done on the car as soon as I buy it also.

Any help on this topic would be great guys.

97TurboDSM
01-23-2009, 12:54 AM
its gonna have to be notarized in the issuing state i believe. unless he himself gets it registered in PA before you buy it. when i bought my car in florida, it had to be signed/notarized in florida first, then i took it to the tags place in PA to finalize everything

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 12:56 AM
its gonna have to be notarized in the issuing state i believe. unless he himself gets it registered in PA before you buy it. when i bought my car in florida, it had to be signed/notarized in florida first, then i took it to the tags place in PA to finalize everything

I had a feeling that was going to be an issue. I am going to call AAA tomorrow to see if they are able to notarize the title for him. If not its going to be a fun....

97TurboDSM
01-23-2009, 12:57 AM
is the title with him in PA or still physically in AZ?

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 01:00 AM
is the title with him in PA or still physically in AZ?

When I talked to him last it sounded like he had the title. He said he was just going to sign the title over to me but if he wanted me to come to title place that would be perfectly fine. However he may not be aware that his signature must be notarized.. i think?

So would he have to go back to Arizona with the title.. get it signed and then come back to PA?

FazdaGt
01-23-2009, 01:01 AM
edit.

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 01:18 AM
I think as long as the guy is with me at the PA title place they are able to notarize the title for him. So cross my fingers that it will work. If not I have the same car option in NJ as a backup.

FazdaGt
01-23-2009, 01:22 AM
that's what i had written in my post, but i wasn't positive and don't want to give false info...

I've done a lot of title transfers, and as long as you're both there i really dont see you having an issue, they can surely figure something out that will work.

is the car in question going to be at the notary?

i'm 90& sure they'll need to verify the vin number since it's an out of state car.

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 01:28 AM
that's what i had written in my post, but i wasn't positive and don't want to give false info...

I've done a lot of title transfers, and as long as you're both there i really dont see you having an issue, they can surely figure something out that will work.

is the car in question going to be at the notary?

i'm 90& sure they'll need to verify the vin number since it's an out of state car.

Yeah the guy would have to drive the car I am looking into buying to the place. I planned to take a picture and write down the VIN # however if they need to check it in person then the car will be there. I am unable to hard copy the VIN to a paper because its behind glass.

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 01:32 AM
All I can say is I hope something works because if it does I will be bringing home my first 5 speed manual car. I have been dreaming of owning a manual car ever since my buddies let me test drive there's... so excited.

FazdaGt
01-23-2009, 01:34 AM
if you go to a decent notary they should be very helpful.

and as long as the car is there they can do the verification no problem.

i hope it works out for you!

GeforceXtreme
01-23-2009, 01:58 AM
if you go to a decent notary they should be very helpful.

and as long as the car is there they can do the verification no problem.

i hope it works out for you!

Thanks I plan to go to a AAA place. My family has a membership there so I would hope they can hook us up hah. Its also nice because you get a discount on the fee's being a member.

4N2NR
01-23-2009, 05:50 AM
A PA notary can do both signatures. All the notary is doing is affirming that a positive identification of the persons signing was done at the time of signing. As for a VIN tracining you can also do it from the one stamped on the firewall.

OutToWinPAHC
01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah take him and the car to the tag place ans see how it works out, I dont see the issue as long as he is there with valid US identification and the vehicle in question is there too.

Evolved
01-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I bought a car in West Virginia and here's what I did.

Flew out to WV, meet with the owner who had the title in hand, he signed the title and gave me a bill of sale, I drove back to PA, went to the title/tags place and all way good.