PDA

View Full Version : sr20det thermostat

dafro42
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I need to get a new thermostat for my redtop sr20det and I was wondering if there was a usdm car that uses the same thermostat or if I have to order it online specifically for the sr20det.

Thank You
Jeremy

turbo88crx
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I dont know if they are the same off hand.
But i do know that most sr guys run the nismo thermostat for the lower temp and its pretty much a must for the sr guys from what ive heard/ read

grmreapr
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Thermostat '91 Sentra SE-R

zaneithan
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
im using the nismo thermostat, for the bit of extra money, its worth if for the peace of mind IMO, if you upgrade your water pump while you are at it, try to get ahold of i believe an s14 sr one (assuming you have an s13 sr20), ive heard they are better, there will be an extra bolt hole that the s13 sr doesnt have but it still seals

ho1ywars
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
im using the nismo thermostat, for the bit of extra money, its worth if for the peace of mind IMO, if you upgrade your water pump while you are at it, try to get ahold of i believe an s14 sr one (assuming you have an s13 sr20), ive heard they are better, there will be an extra bolt hole that the s13 sr doesnt have but it still seals

whats the point of running a colder thermostat? hes on the stock ecu, i dont see any advantages.

zaneithan
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
didnt mention anything about his setup beyond that he needs a new thermostat in original thread and for around the same price why not?

ho1ywars
01-14-2009, 12:04 AM
im not sure when the fuel enrichment cycle on the stock ecu shuts down, but if its above 160 the ecu will never run on its normal map. it will just be on its warmup map. not to mention that the engine was engineered to run at 180.. i would just stick with the stock stat. i dont know, its all personal pref, didnt mean to be a dick by the way.

if you plan on going stand alone, and a lighter oil, i guess the colder stat would be ok... but i just dont see the advantages on a stock sr.

dafro42
01-14-2009, 12:05 AM
i mean i found a 170degree thermostat at a local parts store for about 15 dollars and online i saw the nismo thermostats online for about 50 bucks. So i think im going to most likely go with the cheaper one. Ive also heard that putting too low of a thermostat in the car will effect how the car runs. Does anyone know if a bad thermostat will effect how well the heat works. Right now the heat isnt very hot.

zaneithan
01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
im not sure when the fuel enrichment cycle on the stock ecu shuts down, but if its above 160 the ecu will never run on its normal map. it will just be on its warmup map. not to mention that the engine was engineered to run at 180.. i would just stick with the stock stat. i dont know, its all personal pref, didnt mean to be a dick by the way.

if you plan on going stand alone, and a lighter oil, i guess the colder stat would be ok... but i just dont see the advantages on a stock sr.

i see what you mean, ive heard they run optimal around 180-190, i am personally running the nismo thermostat, koyo rad, electric fan, s14 water pump on mine with basic bolt ons and it stays around 180-190 anyway, maybe im just paranoid about it and no worries, no offense taken

and to the OP, for all the money you spent on the swap and putting it in and such do you want to cheap out on something important like cooling?

dafro42
01-14-2009, 12:26 AM
well its not necessarily that I want to cheap out.. I just havent heard many great things about the lower temp thermostat and dont really want to spend more money on something that wouldnt make that much of a difference.

ho1ywars
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
i mean i found a 170degree thermostat at a local parts store for about 15 dollars and online i saw the nismo thermostats online for about 50 bucks. So i think im going to most likely go with the cheaper one. Ive also heard that putting too low of a thermostat in the car will effect how the car runs. Does anyone know if a bad thermostat will effect how well the heat works. Right now the heat isnt very hot.

if the stat is stuck partially open it will def affect the head inside the car.

edit.

if the car isnt getting very hot inside you might already have a nismo stat in it? maybe?

zane: does your car get hot inside?

Renegade_
01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
SRs run hot, really hot. I have a lower thermostat (pretty damn sure) and a koyo rad. In the winter my car doesn't heat up unless I get on it a few times and burn some gas. There is a definite difference from full operating temp and where my car runs in the winter while cruising. Go for the cooler stat, it will help. If you are beating on your car it will help too.

dafro42
01-14-2009, 08:08 PM
zane: does your car get hot inside?

well after a while the heater blows warm air but it never really gets to the normal hotness of a cars heat.

zaneithan
01-14-2009, 08:34 PM
ill check tomorrow how hot it gets when i warm it up, i dont drive it in the winter so im not really sure, when i have driven it in semi cold weather, i dont remember freezing my ass off though

Ace
01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
SRs run hot, really hot. I have a lower thermostat (pretty damn sure) and a koyo rad. In the winter my car doesn't heat up unless I get on it a few times and burn some gas. There is a definite difference from full operating temp and where my car runs in the winter while cruising. Go for the cooler stat, it will help. If you are beating on your car it will help too.

SR's don't run hot with a proper cooling setup

F that lower temp stuff. Stock SE-R thermostat for me.

Cooling setup

Koyo Radiator
Stock Hoses
Altima Fans (on a fan controller....one comes on high speed at 180 degrees, and the other switches on manuall for track days)
Upper cheapy cooling plate

Car never gets stupid hot unless i'm at an advanced track day and refuse to come in...even then 200/205 at the most....

240sr20
01-19-2009, 12:00 AM
my girls heat sux in her 240, runs nothing above 158\160 and she has stock ka, her t-stat is stuck but she wont belive me. but yeh it sounds like your t-stat is definetly stuck open. a 91 ser sentra will work perfectly fine, had it in my sr and never had a problem going over 195

dafro42
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
sweet thanks. ill be getting the sentra one