PDA

View Full Version : 98 4cyl Ranger bad ignition coils?

Silverfc88
01-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I've been driving this Ranger for a couple of days and it was ok until last night. On the way back home from getting something to eat the truck starting to run really rough. Check engine light came on. Pulled over checked fluids, oil and coolant seemed a little low. Filled them up. Still running very rough. Drove it home very carefully and pulled the plug wires to check spark.

I pulled one at a time and found that one tower on each coil was not fireing. Could both coils have gone bad or could it be something else? I'm not to familiar with Rangers. A little help please.

Whats up with the dual 4 tower coils on a 4cyl?

I tried to check the codes, but I already erased it when I disconnected the battery hoping reseting the ECU would help prior to finding the non fireing coils.

OMGz Turbo
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Double check the wiring to make sure nothing is shorting then replace the coils. elimate the object one by one

4N2NR
01-13-2009, 06:45 AM
You can probably get help from Bronco II http://www.broncoii.org where they are Bronco II, Ranger & Explorer enthusiasts if you need info from folks who drive them daily.

lownslow95
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
or you can try www.ranger-forums.com