PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of old tires for free? Legally.

Kupop
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone know of a local place that I can get rid of tires for at least free?

Scapegoat
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
pep boys?

****, just go drop them off in the back at night :lol:

Kerplunk105
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I usually drop them off at my old works dumpster. Try and find an apartment complex near you that has dumpsters?

Kupop
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
pep boys?

****, just go drop them off in the back at night :lol:

Didn't try to call Pep Boys yet but every other tire place I have called so far either said they can not take them or want to charge me per tire. The cheapest I was quoted so far was $2 ea.

Dropping them off wouldn't be legal... but has crossed my mind. ;)

The problem is I will need to do this periodically.

Kupop
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I usually drop them off at my old works dumpster. Try and find an apartment complex near you that has dumpsters?

hehe, my apartment building that I live in has a small dumpster. I have been thinking of bringing 1 or 2 tires here every once and a while. But again I will need to do this over and over and over as I will keep getting more old tires. This isn't a one time deal and that is why I am hoping to find a place I can haul a larger amount to at once and get rid of them whenever I need to.

I have a small trailer that I can put them all on and take to some place provided it isn't too far away.

I probably have close to 50 at the moment.

A few friends of mine will take some here or there to burn at parties out in the woods, but they take them as fast as I am getting them.

What pisses me off about this is that I know places are making money off of old tires by recycling them or even burning them for fuel. That is why I am not going to pay to get rid of them just so some other place can benefit from them.

I have found a few sites from searching Google that state some places which will pay you for old tires, but haven't been able to find anything locally that will do so.

ricky2i5
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
how bout a junk yard? theres plenty all over philadelphia

Kupop
01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
how bout a junk yard? theres plenty all over philadelphia

Philly is about 2 hours away for me. If I was to go that far I would wait until I have a LOT more tires.

I don't think a junk yard will take them for free though. I know the local scrap yard I take junk cars and metal to will deduct a dollar per tire.

I will try to call some around here though, but I don't expect to hear anything good.

ricky2i5
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
hmm...got me stumped than. although i go agree on taking them to a dumpster at a big company @ night time =]

Kupop
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine used to work at Sears and said every once and a while some junk tires would show up over night and since they couldn't just leave them there they had to throw them on the trailer with the other junk tires.

Like I said I'd rather be able to do it legally since it isn't just 1 or 2 tires every 6 months, but if I need to get rid of them by other means, I may eventually do so!

grimm
01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
why do you continue to get used tires?
anyway most places will charge per tire since they have to be dealt with and disposed of, or recycled. $2 isn't bad at all.

Kupop
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I have my own tire machine and wheel balancer. I do all of my own tires, and family members. Plus occasional friends at a small fee, which makes me a little extra money on the side; or really helps pay for the machines.

I have also thought of cutting the tires into quarters or so and just throwing them out. How would they know what is inside of the bags, and where they originally came from.

1988 Olds
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Pepboys is a $1/tire my brother just told me.

Scapegoat
01-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I have also thought of cutting the tires into quarters or so and just throwing them out. How would they know what is inside of the bags, and where they originally came from.

please take them to a recycle center where they're going to get used for something other than filling up a landfill :)

why not make friends with a shop? tell them you'll do mounting and balancing for them at a cheaper rate (so they can get money off of offering your services) and they take care of the leftovers?

Kupop
01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
please take them to a recycle center where they're going to get used for something other than filling up a landfill :)

why not make friends with a shop? tell them you'll do mounting and balancing for them at a cheaper rate (so they can get money off of offering your services) and they take care of the leftovers?

I will gladly take them to a recycle center provided I do not have to pay to do so... I don't want to illegally dump them some where and that is why I am trying to find a place I can get rid of them for free, and hence why I posted this thread.

I'm not looking to make changing tires a side business either. I bought the machines for myself and to help some people out I know. You have no idea how convenient it is to have them.

I recently sold a set of wheels, and a bunch of tires. This past weekend I had to take 10 tires off of wheels so that I could sell some of the wheels and tires. It would of been such a PITA to haul all of them to some place, pay for them to take the tires off, risk my wheels being trashed, and then bring them all back.

FazdaGt
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I have the exact same issue...

right now i've got a pile of old tires in the attic of my garage, wasn't there a trend of ruber mulch a few years back?

anyone still doing that?

I see that local farmers use tires to hold plastic down on stuff, i'm hoping to get into contact wit one of them.

or..... you hardcore drift guys, bring your bare wheels, i'll mount you some old tires that you can slide around on for awhile.

grimm
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
craigs list would be my idea of the best way to unload them, i'm sure someone needs used tires.

Kupop
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I have the exact same issue...

right now i've got a pile of old tires in the attic of my garage, wasn't there a trend of ruber mulch a few years back?

anyone still doing that?

I see that local farmers use tires to hold plastic down on stuff, i'm hoping to get into contact wit one of them.

or..... you hardcore drift guys, bring your bare wheels, i'll mount you some old tires that you can slide around on for awhile.

Yes, places still shred old tires, recycle the metal, and use the rubber for mulch and other things... rubber mats, road signs, paving roads, ect.

Plus there are some places, like cement factories, that burn old tires for fuel. Rubber gives off huge amounts of heat, especially compared to other fuels like coal; but they have a lot of pollution so the filtering is more expensive but there are places doing it.

This is all why I refuse to pay to get rid of these tires.

97TurboDSM
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
are either yours or fazdas worth giving to me? i need some tires for both my sets of wheels.

Kupop
01-06-2009, 01:17 PM
It depends on the size. I know a few of the tires I have are not to the wear bars yet, but very close and that is why the people wanted to replace them. I don't have a list of what sizes are there or what condition they are. If you tell me the size I can take a guess but wouldn't know unless I looked through them and plus all of mine are left outside behind the garage so they are a little more 'weathered'

I know the tires I put back there from my cars are pretty well killed. But for example the 4, 215/45/17 tires from my Mom's tC are either just touching or slightly above the wear bars.

Kupop
01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
If any of my tires are still good I keep them inside the garage until I can find a buyer. I only have a few left and most have been offered on here already. I once had a thread with different size tires available but its been a while since I updated that or have yet to post another.

ndubz
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Everyone with old tires. Give them to 240_Fun. He loves drifting around in his 240sx, and he needs all the tires he can get. It doesnt matter how beat they are, im sure theyre good for a couple runs. Pm him, his name is Nick. He will take them for free, and he works at pep boys so he can get rid of them free too.

poolmike
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Put them in your neighbors yard. Then set them on fire.

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Put them in your neighbors yard. Then set them on fire.

lol! That was funny.

marecco
01-06-2009, 02:02 PM
you could always build yourself a playground and put the cut tires down incase you fall..... just a thought

FazdaGt
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
most of mine are pretty well shot... i tend to get complete use out of my tires.

anything i have would be best to use at a drift event

igo4bmx
01-06-2009, 04:38 PM
A friend of mine used to work at Sears and said every once and a while some junk tires would show up over night and since they couldn't just leave them there they had to throw them on the trailer with the other junk tires.

Like I said I'd rather be able to do it legally since it isn't just 1 or 2 tires every 6 months, but if I need to get rid of them by other means, I may eventually do so!

you really can't afford the 1-2 bucks per tire? wtf? they recycle this **** instead of filling landfills

ndubz
01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Like i said 240_Fun Will use them for drifting.

poolmike
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I gotta ask....how did you end up with this tire collection, Mr Fred Sanford?