PDA

View Full Version : motor codes

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I can't believe there aren't any threads in this section. lol Anyway...

Can you guys please tell me where the motor code is stamped on the block of a 325i? I just bought a 318is with a 325i motor swap and I'm going to need to replace the alternator soon. So I'd like to know exactly what motor I have for parts purposes in the future (and for right now). Thanks.

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
So here's what I found. I copied only what's relevant. How do I figure out which motor is in my car?

M50 I-6 4 Valve 2.5 liter 325i 92-95, 525i 91-95
M52 I-6 4 Valve 2.5, 325i 96-99
M52TU I-6 4 Valve 2.5, 323i 99-00
M54TU I-6 4 Valve 2.5, 325, 01+

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
M50 engines cames with two different alternators. They either came with a Bosch 140amp, or some other brand which was 105amp. Most E36's have an M50, however the 328's had an S52; which is basically an M50 just different internals. E30's came with M20 engines. Go to www.realoem.com and you can look up all the parts for the specific BMW with the use of the production date. If you have any questions let me know.

P.S. Most likely, if its an E36, you're going to need a Bosch alternator.

Edit: Since yours is a 318 with a 325 swap you have an M50 with Vanos. If you need to know how to take off the alternator, let me know I've done it twice and I can make it really easy for you. it takes about 30 minutes.

How do you know that and what does that mean?

russiankid
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
How do you know that and what does that mean?

I know that because 325i's all came with an M50. Easy way to tell what altrnator have is by checking if you have a cooling fan on the pulley or not. If you don't, you have Bosch 140amp. If you do, you have the other brand 105amp.

M50 is just the type of engine it is. Its a DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder. It has Vanos which is variable timing. The DME, which is the computer, controls how much the intake valves open. This helps with low end torque and mid-range. Later models(E46, E39's) came with double vanos which the DME controls both intake and exhaust. Vanos is not bad, but after a while they begin to rattle and not function properly. Easy way to tell if you have Vanos or not is look at the valve cover. If you have a lump up front, you have Vanos. If yours is flat, pretty much a perfectly rectangle, it does not have Vanos.

Everything swaps between the M50 Vanos and M50 non-vanos except for the oil filter housing and head. the oil filter housing is equiped with a special oil feed line for the Vanos unit. All of the other parts are interchangable without a problem. You also have the option of having a direct swap for an S52 or S50 motor. S52 came in the M3's, and the S50 came in the 328's. Both of these motors look alike but internally they are different. Forgot to mention the wiring harness's and DME's are different.

The motors that came in the E46 require a fair bit of work to drop in. However, an E36 motor into another E36 or an E30 is a fairly simple swap so most likely you have an M50TU. TU is a reference for Vanos.

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I know that because 325i's all came with an M50. Easy way to tell what altrnator have is by checking if you have a cooling fan on the pulley or not. If you don't, you have Bosch 140amp. If you do, you have the other brand 105amp.

M50 is just the type of engine it is. Its a DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder. It has Vanos which is variable timing. The DME, which is the computer, controls how much the intake valves open. This helps with low end torque and mid-range. Later models(E46, E39's) came with double vanos which the DME controls both intake and exhaust. Vanos is not bad, but after a while they begin to rattle and not function properly. Easy way to tell if you have Vanos or not is look at the valve cover. If you have a lump up front, you have Vanos. If yours is flat, pretty much a perfectly rectangle, it does not have Vanos.

Everything works swaps between the M50 Vanos and M50 non-vanos except for the oil filter housing and head. the oil filter housing is equiped with a special oil feed line for the Vanos unit. All of the other parts are interchangable without a problem. You also have the option of having a direct swap for an S52 or S50 motor. S52 came in the M3's, and the S50 came in the 328's. Both of these motors look alike but internally they are different.

The motors that came in the E46 require a fair bit of work to drop in. However, an E36 motor into another E36 or an E30 is a fairly simple swap so most likely you have an M50TU. TU is a reference for Vanos.

WOW! Ummmm, let me try to digest all this craziness! LOL When it comes to the alternator alone, you're saying no matter how I look at it, I have one of two, correct? And to determine which one, I have to look to see if I have a cooling fan on the alternator pulley, correct? Ok, with that being said, how much do either of these run ($$)?

Secondly, you think I have an M50TU? What makes you think that? Can you tell by photos?

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/twastheglow/318is12.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/twastheglow/318is13.jpg

russiankid
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
That looks to be like the M50TU. I can tell because if you look at the valve cover in the top right hand corner. Notice how there's a "lump" for something like a cam gear? That is the Vanos unit.

And you are correct about the alternator.

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
That looks to be like the M50TU. I can tell because if you look at the valve cover in the top right hand corner. Notice how there's a "lump" for something like a cam gear? That is the Vanos unit.

And you are correct about the alternator.

Excellent. So what year 325i's did the M50TU motor come in?

And about the alternator, what kind of prices am I looking at to get one? And can I just get one at Autozone or some place?

russiankid
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Excellent. So what year 325i's did the M50TU motor come in?

And about the alternator, what kind of prices am I looking at to get one? And can I just get one at Autozone or some place?

All E36 325i's had the M50TU if I am not mistaken. As far as alternator pricing, I am not sure because I never had to replace one.:o

The Captain
01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
So what i'm understanding is your can has the vtack? noooice.

omgjacki
01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I can't believe there aren't any threads in this section. lol Anyway...

You have to change the date range at the bottom of that forum =P

There are actually 25 threads in there.

The Captain
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
leave it to jacki to know tst inside and out.

omgjacki
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
:o

russiankid
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Actually Vanos is more complicated than Vtec as Vtec engages at a certain RPM where as Vanos works constantly.

twastheglow
01-06-2009, 11:21 PM
:confused:So what i'm understanding is your can has the vtack? noooice.

LOL That made me laugh.

You have to change the date range at the bottom of that forum =P

There are actually 25 threads in there.

Oooooo la la. Thanks. :wink:

leave it to jacki to know tst inside and out.

Leave it to TST to know Jacki inside and out. LMFAO!!!

:o

:confused:

Actually Vanos is more complicated than Vtec as Vtec engages at a certain RPM where as Vanos works constantly.

Those ****ing Germans...always ****ing thinking.

FazdaGt
01-07-2009, 02:03 AM
mike you can buy the alternator at autozone...they are idiots and won't comprehend that your car is swapped so just tell them you need the alternator for a 325.

expect to pay close to $200 iirc... it's been a few years.

you should familiarize yourself with bimmerforums.com

sometimes the guys are complete dip****s, but there is great info and an awesome classifieds section.

we just got done swapping an s50 (95 M3 drive line) into a 92 318is...we haven't gotten to enjoy the car yet, but i'm anxious!

jdm free
01-07-2009, 02:42 AM

how would that be more complicated if it is always engaged?

russiankid
01-07-2009, 09:40 AM
how would that be more complicated if it is always engaged?

Because it controls how much the intake valves open. Therefore, it has to determine it by how much throttle is applied.

greg6g72
01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
honda guy is jealous

twastheglow
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Well, the motor I have turns out to be an M52. It's the 2.8L that came out of >'96 328i's.

greg6g72
01-12-2009, 01:04 AM
very nice good luck with your car

xeclipsegtx
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
vanos started in 93 so its gotta be a 93 and up.. nice whip dude. Get to know bimmer dudes they can help you with everything you need. I had a 93 325i if u need help with anything let me know

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
vanos started in 93 so its gotta be a 93 and up.. nice whip dude. Get to know bimmer dudes they can help you with everything you need. I had a 93 325i if u need help with anything let me know

Well, I've found based on the oil filter cartridge it takes, it's from a '96+ 328i. I have an M52 motor and not the M50 I thought I had.

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, I've found based on the oil filter cartridge it takes, it's from a '96+ 328i. I have an M52 motor and not the M50 I thought I had.

I have no idea what you are talking about man, All m5x and s5x motors take the same oil filter.

There is no way to externally tell what engine you have expect for the vin on the back of the head, you can run that to see what the car was. Or you can check the engine block itself its right above the oil dipstick.

Your car does have single vanos, and only 92 didn't come with them.
Now all the alternators are also the same, IIRC.

if you want an alternator contact my buddy mike he just registered as well, white325is. he blew his m50 he has a lot of left over parts!

If you have any other bmw questions, feel free to shoot one of us down (not literally) we'll most likely answer them for you!
thanks
Jason

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 05:45 PM
here is a picture for reference of what it looks like
If the two digits on the second line start with
25 you have a m50
28 you have a m52
30 you have a s50
32 you have a s52

this is only block designation. it will tell you your displacement
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jahnaboi/IMG_3320.jpg

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Well they definately DO have different oil filter cartridges because I sat there in the garage and watched filter after filter for the M50 motor not work. There were like 2-3 different parts numbers for different filters for the M50. Then, we measured the filter dimensions and asked the guy over the phone at the part store to measure the filters he has there to find the right one. The one that fit the bill was for an M52 2.8L. :confused:

I don't know man, I'm just telling you what I watched happen. I'm obviously new to this car.

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
here is a picture for reference of what it looks like
If the two digits on the second line start with
25 you have a m50
28 you have a m52
30 you have a s50
32 you have a s52

this is only block designation. it will tell you your displacement
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jahnaboi/IMG_3320.jpg

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!! Where EXACTLY is that stamped?

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
PS...I am going to need an alternator. But it would probably be a good idea to get that engine code first. lol

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
its on the block let me find you a better picture you have aim?

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
its on the block let me find you a better picture you have aim?

No, I'm at work. :o Is this something I can view easily just looking at the engine without tearing **** apart?

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
you dont have to tear it apart, but it is kind of tricky to get at. let me try to find a picture i can circle for you

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Sweet. Thanks. How big is that "plaque" that it's imprinted on? 2"?

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
This picture is the intake side of m50 looks exactly the same as the other engines listed.
This is the intake side if you cant tell. that small block/flat spot is where it is. usually has a lot of gunk on it so you may need a wire brush to get it off and see. You will probably need to get under the car to access this as well. The top is just too convoluted to get down to.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/XRT09/4.jpg

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
This picture is the intake side of m50 looks exactly the same as the other engines listed.
This is the intake side if you cant tell. that small block/flat spot is where it is. usually has a lot of gunk on it so you may need a wire brush to get it off and see. You will probably need to get under the car to access this as well. The top is just too convoluted to get down to.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/XRT09/4.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for.

I sure I knew it was there when I had my car up on the lift. :( I guess I'll be jacking it up when it gets a little warmer.

Thanks for the info!

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM
as for the oil filter thing i am almost 100% positive its the same
the m50, m52, s50, s52 share the same block. Exact same cast everything. The are derivatives of each other, only difference is the bigger ones are bored. I wouldn't see why the oil channels would be different to use different tanks and filters

Maybe the guy was using m42 filters instead. Even that that i think they maybe compatible but not sure.

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Exactly what I was looking for.

I sure I knew it was there when I had my car up on the lift. :( I guess I'll be jacking it up when it gets a little warmer.

Thanks for the info!
no problem man glad i could help.
-Jason

twastheglow
01-14-2009, 06:22 PM
as for the oil filter thing i am almost 100% positive its the same
the m50, m52, s50, s52 share the same block. Exact same cast everything. The are derivatives of each other, only difference is the bigger ones are bored. I wouldn't see why the oil channels would be different to use different tanks and filters

Maybe the guy was using m42 filters instead. Even that that i think they maybe compatible but not sure.

The filter cartridges were different sizes. The first filter's inner hole diameter was WAY too small to fit that long plastic tube piece that's connected to the lid on the oil filter housing. The next one the whole filter was too short. It wasn't until the third one that it actually fit like the one we removed.

Xuracing
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
oh well. its all good.

Xuracing
01-15-2009, 04:08 AM
here is some food for thought
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_BASflt_pg1.htm#item0

pelican parts super reputable bmw parts provider.

check out all the 92-99 3 series. the filter kits offered. Look at manufacture names then their part numbers. They all match up for all of the engines.

enjoy, where ever you are going to get stuff done. i would probably recommend not going there again, because they have no idea what they are talking about

twastheglow
01-15-2009, 11:02 AM
here is some food for thought
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE36/POR_BE36_BASflt_pg1.htm#item0

pelican parts super reputable bmw parts provider.

check out all the 92-99 3 series. the filter kits offered. Look at manufacture names then their part numbers. They all match up for all of the engines.

enjoy, where ever you are going to get stuff done. i would probably recommend not going there again, because they have no idea what they are talking about

Honestly dude, I totally understand what you're saying. I'm certainly not new to cars...just this car. I guess I'm at a loss for words. I don't at all blame the garage...I sat there and looked through the books with the manager (that I know). There really were different part numbers and definately different filters. I guess I would blame that book somehow. Next time I'm up there I'll take some pics of what I was looking at and post them.

I do 99% of my own work anyway. I just go there for inspections, tire mounting and balancing, alignments, etc. I'm not concerned with them doing something ****ed up on my car. That's my job. lol

But anyway, I know/see what you mean and I guess I just don't have an answer. *shrugs shoulders*

Xuracing
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Its all good i just wanted to point something out. but anyways if you do run into any other troubles let us know. If we can't provide an answer we will find someone that will.! enjoy your e36!

twastheglow
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Its all good i just wanted to point something out. but anyways if you do run into any other troubles let us know. If we can't provide an answer we will find someone that will.! enjoy your e36!

Absolutely! You've already been a huge help and for that I thank you!

Xuracing
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
no problem man. Though you are a hike out sometime we should get a meet going with all the tristate bimmers!

twastheglow
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
no problem man. Though you are a hike out sometime we should get a meet going with all the tristate bimmers!

I'd be down for that. :wink:

Xuracing
01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
by then i will hopefully be running EURO itbs, and a gt45 or gt40r around 23psi :)