PDA

View Full Version : Went for 12s, ran 11s

CGMSTi
11-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, went to the track on Saturday with the plan of running high 12s in the STi. On my first and only run, the clutch just slipped when I launched. Worst smell ever. Car was drivable after that, but I did not attempt any further runs. Needless to say, I did not get my 12 second timeslip in the STi.

However, I did have the opportunity to drive a stock 2006 Z06. First time driving the car and first time drag racing a RWD car. First pass, I took it easy and ended up with a 12.81 @ 118.93. The Z06 has run-flat tires and you cannot reduce the air pressure in them without the pressure sensors telling the computer that the air is too low and it cuts power. So I just drove around the waterbox and took off from idle that first run.
The second run, I left the tree at about 1500 rpm and shifted at 6500. Ran a 12.04 @ 119.5. Third pass I left at about 2200 rpm and peddled it a bit to get through any spinning. Ended up with an 11.91 @ 120.54.

Pissed about the STi, but happy with the Z06 times. :banana:

WhiteXFire
11-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Heh, I said that I wanted a crossfire for a while after I saw it at a show before it came out. Well, I said the same thing with the new Z06 a while ago...I WILL own one damnit! :eek:

sisforsurfing
11-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Stinks about the STi, but I've done that to my clutch once or twice, it'll be fine (and I have a normal WRX.)
But yeah, I want one of those Z06's bad. The only thing is, when you drive something like that you'll run into almost nothing that would even be entertaining to race. I want to be able to take off from idle and run high 12's.
Whos Z06?

CGMSTi
11-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Stinks about the STi, but I've done that to my clutch once or twice, it'll be fine (and I have a normal WRX.)
But yeah, I want one of those Z06's bad. The only thing is, when you drive something like that you'll run into almost nothing that would even be entertaining to race. I want to be able to take off from idle and run high 12's.
Whos Z06?

Makes no sense to me about the clutch. I used to own an 02 WRX. I put 100,000 miles on the stock clutch (drag raced several times a year) and when I finally changed it, it was only as preventative maintenance...it was still functioning perfectly. Now, on my STi, which only has 24,000 miles, this happens. It's not like I'm making that much power (277AWHP/310FT LBs). Either way, the clutch spun A LOT and I am sure it is now glazed. I smell it when I drive on the street now a little. It will definitely have to be replaced. A clutch should never slip on its own (my foot was not on the clutch pedal at all when this happened). Oh well, I suppose it's a good excuse for an upgraded/better clutch.

The Z06 belongs to a friend who wasn't having much luck breaking out of high 12s because of the traction problems.

Gorilla Unit 33
11-13-2005, 06:02 PM
damn nice

sleeperstyle
11-13-2005, 06:08 PM
11.9 with a new stock z06- not bad. i think motor trend got like a 11.7 or 11.5 so you are not too far off, but i thought they trapped higher (125+mph).

your friend cannot break high 12's huh? :lol: . very sad, traction or not MY car can run high 12's on street tires and that ain't saying much for his z06.

what color is the z06 and does he run it at e-town?

what were the 60ft times for your runs in the z06? (mostly the 11.9 run).

CGMSTi
11-13-2005, 06:16 PM
It was the only time that car was run and it wasn't at etown. It's Lemans Blue. If you don't take off below like 2200 rpm you just blow the tires off the car. I think he's just used to launching Mustangs with drag radials. Plus he's 160 lbs heaver than me. I just couldn't believe the power in that car bone stock. My 60' times were 2.0 to 2.1s. Certainly nothing to write home about.

sisforsurfing
11-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Makes no sense to me about the clutch. I used to own an 02 WRX. I put 100,000 miles on the stock clutch (drag raced several times a year) and when I finally changed it, it was only as preventative maintenance...it was still functioning perfectly. Now, on my STi, which only has 24,000 miles, this happens. It's not like I'm making that much power (277AWHP/310FT LBs). Either way, the clutch spun A LOT and I am sure it is now glazed. I smell it when I drive on the street now a little. It will definitely have to be replaced. A clutch should never slip on its own (my foot was not on the clutch pedal at all when this happened). Oh well, I suppose it's a good excuse for an upgraded/better clutch.
Ohhh, I thought you meant you just had a terrible launch and rode the clutch for too long, oops. I've never heard of that happening to a stock STi, I'm suprised how well my WRX clutch is holding up, and as you know they're pretty robust.
Oh well, I guess taht means an upgraded clutch.

sleeperstyle
11-13-2005, 07:42 PM
My 60' times were 2.0 to 2.1s. Certainly nothing to write home about.

that explains how c/d got their times- if you cut a 1.80 60ft (certainly not easy but entirely possible) it is an 11.50 car all day.

i asked the color because there is a video of 2 new z06's running at e-town. one is yellow- does a 15.1 @ like 112mph and the other (forget color) does a 13.1 @ 114mph. those guys suck at driving! i was thinking maybe it was your friend. :mrgreen:

CGMSTi
11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
that explains how c/d got their times- if you cut a 1.80 60ft (certainly not easy but entirely possible) it is an 11.50 car all day.

i asked the color because there is a video of 2 new z06's running at e-town. one is yellow- does a 15.1 @ like 112mph and the other (forget color) does a 13.1 @ 114mph. those guys suck at driving! i was thinking maybe it was your friend. :mrgreen:

LOL, wow. 15's and 13's? Like I said, I had never even raced a RWD car before and driving up to the staging lanes from the pit was the first time I had even driven the Z06 and my very first pass was a babied 12.8... And I definitely do not consider myself to be a great 1/4 mile driver. Maybe they forgot to turn the traction control off? :confused:

FFG
11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
You did awesome Steve, and it was great to meet you! I challange you to beer pong for the spring NATS! hehe

*Once all the pics and vids are posted, between Steve and I you guys will see them all. There were some bad-ass cars there this weekend!

2point4DSM
11-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Awesome to hear about your time at the track.

Not too long ago, I smoked the clutch real bad on my car. Went through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Possible I just got overly-excited and forgot to completely lift my foot off the clutch pedal in 1st gear which caused the pad to get over-heated. The car smelled of burnt clutch the rest of the night and for several days afterwards. But right after I smoked the clutch I let it cool for about 30 minutes and it held fine again for several passes afterwards. Of course this is an ACT 2600 on a 1g DSM.

TehWagon
11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
that doesn't sound right to me for teh clutch to slip like that, esp when your foot was not on it- maybe some of the STi guys can pipe in, but if you're still covered under warranty, i'd get them to take a look at replacing that for you...

1988 Olds
11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
11.91 is pretty good for never driving a car like that. I haven't heard anyone elses times from a stock Z06 yet.

CGMSTi
11-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Let's also not forget that C&D times are run on a GM car, not a customer car. Does GM do anything special to the car before they hand it to C&D? I don't know. I think though that if there was more time that day, I could have gotten the times down even further.

CGMSTi
11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
You did awesome Steve, and it was great to meet you! I challange you to beer pong for the spring NATS! hehe

*Once all the pics and vids are posted, between Steve and I you guys will see them all. There were some bad-ass cars there this weekend!

Thanks Liz. It was great to meet you too. I accept your beer pong challenge, so long as it is Stella in the cups. :wink:

CGMSTi
11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Awesome to hear about your time at the track.

Not too long ago, I smoked the clutch real bad on my car. Went through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Possible I just got overly-excited and forgot to completely lift my foot off the clutch pedal in 1st gear which caused the pad to get over-heated. The car smelled of burnt clutch the rest of the night and for several days afterwards. But right after I smoked the clutch I let it cool for about 30 minutes and it held fine again for several passes afterwards. Of course this is an ACT 2600 on a 1g DSM.

That is EXACTLY what went through my mind for the rest of the day... I suppose it is possible - it all went so fast that I cannot really retrace what happened. It seems to be holding fine now and I don't think I'm smelling it anymore while driving. I may just leave it for the winter and upgrade in the spring before I race next.

CGMSTi
11-14-2005, 11:25 AM
that doesn't sound right to me for teh clutch to slip like that, esp when your foot was not on it- maybe some of the STi guys can pipe in, but if you're still covered under warranty, i'd get them to take a look at replacing that for you...

I figure it's a good opportunity to upgrade. If it was something wrong with the stock clutch, I'm thinking there's no point in putting another stocker in, especially since I do plan on more mods in the future. We'll see how the winter goes I suppose.

CGMSTi
11-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Here (http://home.comcast.net/~turfmn/GlennZ06.mpg) is video of the run. OF COURSE, I just HAD to line up next to a 9 second Lightning. LOL

bad360rt
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
11.91 is pretty good for never driving a car like that. I haven't heard anyone elses times from a stock Z06 yet.
I've seen 11.6 & 11.7 posted on the vette boards by owners. Both at 126 I think. Car should be pretty sick with a good driver and a sticky tire :)

2point4DSM
11-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I respect these cars a lot but still had no incentive to look into one for some reason... till now.

Inside every Z06 is an LS7 aluminum–block V8. It puts out a SAE-certified (Society of Automotive Engineers) 505 hp and 470 lb.–ft. of torque. Hand–built by the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich., the LS7 engine contains a litany of racing–derived components, such as an eight–quart dry–sump lubrication system, titanium valves and connecting rods, forged–steel crankshaft with six–bolt main bearings, high–profile cam, and Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) machined heads for better air/fuel flow. Even with its performance, the engine does not incur a federal government gas–guzzler penalty.

:eek:

This is one awesome motor!

If we have to always have at least one american car in the driveway (just to support the economy) I'd gladly trade in the Saturn for this, lol.

sleeperstyle
11-14-2005, 06:19 PM
wil you may think it funny that it gets 20+mph on the highway (forget the exact #but low-mid 20's if i remember well enough). the days of the carburator (sp?) and the gas guzzling v8 are long gone my friends. wil im also surprised you didn't know about the ls7 sooner, they've been raving about it for like a year or so now. do you live under a rock or what?

like bad 360rt said, alot of guys are matching the times c&d got with the new z06, and gm is susposed to give c&d a regular production car to test. there WAS a rumor going around that the z06's that people will buy will be detuned (richer a/f and wussy timing maps) but there is no confirmation of this. even if so- get the damn thing tuned (200$-500$) and you are right back where it should be.

CGMSTi
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
It will be nice once they crack the LS7 ECU code. Hopefully that will allow a bypass of the tire pressure sensor crap.

Little G
11-14-2005, 07:13 PM
thats awesome dude

bad360rt
11-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Also, there seems to still be a lot of potential left in the LS7. They've already gotten almost 500 at the wheels with just a set of long tubes and removing the filter (no intakes for them yet), and that's without a tune, since there's no software for them yet either. Intake, cam, lt's and a tune and those things are gonna be insane! Awesome cars, imo, and look sharp too. Can't wait to see one.

2point4DSM
11-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Ever since I got my ass handed to me by a vette back in HS with a girl in the car that later told the rest of my friends how she felt sorry for me I told myself that the DSM had to, at the very least, be on par.

At this point I'm just thinking of giving up, lol.

Still, if I had $60k into the DSM I guess it would be less of an issue....

CGMSTi
11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Ever since I got my ass handed to me by a vette back in HS with a girl in the car that later told the rest of my friends how she felt sorry for me I told myself that the DSM had to, at the very least, be on par.

At this point I'm just thinking of giving up, lol.

Still, if I had $60k into the DSM I guess it would be less of an issue....

Yeah, exactly...it's all about how much money you want to spend to get where you want to be.

sleeperstyle
11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
new news (to me at least) is that people are having all sorts of problems with the new z06 motors. one in particular is that during the 2000 mile oil change there are metal shavings (not good) being found in the oil. we'll see, it could have been just a few cars that had problems but the guys on ls1tech claim it is more than a "few" of them having problems.

and it won't take long for people to be able to tune the ls7's, give it probably 6 months/ till there is a demand for a tuning device for them.

2point4DSM
11-16-2005, 10:19 PM
one in particular is that during the 2000 mile oil change there are metal shavings (not good) being found in the oil.

I guess it's back to looking at Japanese cars if I want to dump any kind of serious money into something with 4 wheels.

CGMSTi
11-16-2005, 10:31 PM
new news (to me at least) is that people are having all sorts of problems with the new z06 motors. one in particular is that during the 2000 mile oil change there are metal shavings (not good) being found in the oil. we'll see, it could have been just a few cars that had problems but the guys on ls1tech claim it is more than a "few" of them having problems.

and it won't take long for people to be able to tune the ls7's, give it probably 6 months/ till there is a demand for a tuning device for them.

How many vehicles was that found to be the case with and how many shavings? Some shavings are completely normal during the break-in period of any car. I'll report back when the oil is changed on this Z06.

sleeperstyle
11-17-2005, 07:53 PM
i really don't know the details, but word from gm techs from dealerships was that they were having problems with them. could be just a few cars, not sure. i actually hope it is just a rumor- only time will tell.

if anybody is really that interested search ls1tech, there is a whole section dedicated to the ls7 and the ls2 engines.

Orbit
11-19-2005, 03:15 PM
last time i went to atco i got allot of runs in and on my last run the clutch totally gave out. went 5 mph with engine reving. took it out of gear eased back into it then i treated it nice for awhile and now all seems to be back to normal.I think your's will come back too.