PDA

View Full Version : 240sx Owners- have some questions, need some real answers

marshallpre1
12-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I've been looking around at both 240sx's and Integra GSRs for my DD next spring. Car is going to be my DD and be used for autox and road racing. Basically, I want to become a better rwd driver before I start taking the Supra out to those events. I imagine the 240 is much cheaper to fix than the Sup if I break something. How realistic are my DD goals? Any of you drive it in the winter? What about electrical problems? I ask because I have heard of older nissans having bad electrical problems. Any advice on purchasing strategy, what to look for, avg pricing, etc is appreciated!

Thanks

EDIT: I only plan on bolt on mods with this car

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I've been looking around at both 240sx's and Integra GSRs for my DD next spring. Car is going to be my DD and be used for autox and road racing. Basically, I want to become a better rwd driver before I start taking the Supra out to those events. I imagine the 240 is much cheaper to fix than the Sup if I break something. How realistic are my DD goals? Any of you drive it in the winter? What about electrical problems? I ask because I have heard of older nissans having bad electrical problems. Any advice on purchasing strategy, what to look for, avg pricing, etc is appreciated!

Thanks

This is honestly a little too broad of a question to answer specifics...but I'll try. LOL

They are definately way cheaper to fix and buy parts for than a Surpa to say the least. Parts are plentiful too. Especially from other 240 owners...a dime a dozen. As far as the winter, mine's parked all winter so I can't speak from experience with handling. But it is a light rwd vehicle...so. LOL I have a '93 coupe and have no had any electrical problems. But any car that's between 10 and 19 years old may have issues, mechanical or otherwise (electrical).

As far as a purchasing strategy, it's the same as with most cars...clean carfax (if you can help it), least amount of body rust, frame rust, strut tower rust, etc.

Any other specific questions?

IdriveBad
12-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Your best bet honestly would be to go drive a few, and make your judgement from there. 240's are fun, and like Mike said, parts can be found easy, as well as working on them is pretty easy (for the most part). Hondas are also easy to work on and parts are plentiful. One thing you have to look out for with 240's is rust. Obviously. A little rust won't be too bad but it's getting hard to come across clean ones for sale. As for electrical problems, the only ones I have had are from PO's messing with the wires. My coupe is a virgin and there is nothing wrong electrically with it, and it's an 89. I drive my car all year round and as long as you know what you are doing you shouldn't have too much trouble in the snow/bad weather. Both cars are going to be great for what you are looking for, I think the integra will get much better gas mileage though. As stated before I think you should try and test drive a few and base your choice from that.

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
And also, if you're only looking to do bolt-ons, I would stick with a '91-'94 S13 since it came with the DOHC motor. '89/'90 came with a SOHC motor which is rated at a little less power. Also, S14 ('95-'98)generally cost a bit more to purchase. But that's all up to you.

96zenki
12-26-2008, 02:23 PM
i have never really heard of any electrical problems with our cars...as far as dd'ing in the winter...well like most rwd car's not the best obviously. if i had a choice i would have a winter beater but since i don't i have a set of snow tires, lsd and a sub in the back for a little extra weight. 240's are extremely slide happy with a light rear end.
but this year i didn't bother
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3201/thirdprofileyj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

marshallpre1
12-26-2008, 02:27 PM
And also, if you're only looking to do bolt-ons, I would stick with a '91-'94 S13 since it came with the DOHC motor. '89/'90 came with a SOHC motor which is rated at a little less power. Also, S14 ('95-'98)generally cost a bit more to purchase. But that's all up to you.

Thanks. I guess my main question is, is it a car that really only needs oil changes/basic maintenance? I don't want a car that has random issues all the time

marshallpre1
12-26-2008, 02:28 PM
i have never really heard of any electrical problems with our cars...as far as dd'ing in the winter...well like most rwd car's not the best obviously. if i had a choice i would have a winter beater but since i don't i have a set of snow tires, lsd and a sub in the back for a little extra weight. 240's are extremely slide happy with a light rear end.
but this year i didn't bother
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3201/thirdprofileyj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I like your car :)

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks. I guess my main question is, is it a car that really only needs oil changes? I don't want a car that has random issues all the time

As far as I know, most people don't have issues with these cars/motors. The ONLY thing that I know is sometimes a problem are the timing chain guards. They sometimes break and create a rattling that really needs to be tended to. Other than that, nothing.

marshallpre1
12-26-2008, 02:37 PM
As far as I know, most people don't have issues with these cars/motors. The ONLY thing that I know is sometimes a problem are the timing chain guards. They sometimes break and create a rattling that really needs to be tended to. Other than that, nothing.

That's what I like to hear. I joined Zilvia.net. Hopefully I learn a thing or two. My budget is kinda little. I don't think I can pick up a good one for <$5K. I don't even want mods LOL

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I like your car :)

x2!!!

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 02:40 PM
That's what I like to hear. I joined Zilvia.net. Hopefully I learn a thing or two. My budget is kinda little. I don't think I can pick up a good one for <$5K. I don't even want mods LOL

Also join nico! And you definately should be able to pick up a nice one for <$5k!

I have some pics in my profile of mine.

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's also an EXCELLENT site...

http://www.240sxtech.com/

marshallpre1
12-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Here's also an EXCELLENT site...

http://www.240sxtech.com/

WOW. Great site! Time to read and learn... Slow day at work

twastheglow
12-26-2008, 02:51 PM
WOW. Great site! Time to learn and read... Slow day at work

Yeah, I figured you'd appreciate that site. lol A lot of people don't know about it.

IdriveBad
12-26-2008, 02:56 PM
I think besides that timing chain rattle they can also be known for lifter tap. Just keep up on oil changes and that shouldn't be a problem.

OutToWinPAHC
12-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Ka24s are known to get injector failure. When replacing don't use rebuild or oe knockoff, go to the dealer or upgrade. I've been down that road before. Yeah chain guides make noise, just remove. Other then that keep the motor happy, maintain it and it will treat you good.

Number 23
12-28-2008, 02:47 PM
On driving the car in the winter. Here a couple of weeks ago we got a couple of inches of snow and I was caught out in the storm in my 90 240sx. Tried to make it up a mountain with stop and go traffic got about half way up and had to turn around and go home a different way. Though my 240 has SR motor with full bolt ons and had BF goodrich T/A tires on. If you pan on getting a rwd car for DD, in the winter make sure you buy some snow tires or studded tires for it and put some weight in the rear.

Dr. Acula
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I know a guy who is selling his s14 for 3000 dollars. It needed a mafs. I mean he fixed it and then ran smooth. Ka24de's are way more reliable engine wise for sure. So to save the hassle just get a nice running s14 or an s13 with a swapped engine ka-e engine make me unhappy. Haha and as far as electrical, my reverse lights don't work on my s13. Which I'm pretty sire is a switch attatched to the trans. Also randomly I've noticed s13s have windshield wiper issues. But nothing major other than that.

johnnyh523
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
240's are fun to drive, but I had a couple close calls due to winter weather conditions.

Kouki Crisp
01-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Buy an S14, and becareful with your right foot in the snow and you should be fine. Just dont try to pull any JDM tyte drifts and you should be fine.

marshallpre1
01-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Unfortunately I've put this purchase on hold...

I have just expanded my plans with my Supra so my beater car fund is now nonexistent... Maybe next fall