PDA

View Full Version : 04 Mercury Marauder in need of help...

05scooby
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Having a problem with the car, it bucks or jerks, like its not getting enough fuel. But heres the kicker, its only after the car has shifted and when you apply light/ to mid throttle, but not enough to cause the car to downshift, it jerks...

But when I floor it, no problems at all! Nor are there an CEL's...

Again, feels like its related to fuel.

Car has the following mods,
JLT RAI
SCT Tune
373 Gears.
and 81k on the clock

Gordonfan24
12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm sure the folks at mercurymarauder.net would know.
I've heard similar complaints that were attributed to a vacuum leak, but I'm not so sure that's it...? Sorry I can't help.

05GT
12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I see that you have an SCT Tune. Is this a box tune? Sounds to me like the tune could be messed up and it's supplying the right amount of fuel when the car shifts.

05scooby
12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I see that you have an SCT Tune. Is this a box tune? Sounds to me like the tune could be messed up and it's supplying the right amount of fuel when the car shifts.

its a custom tune. Nothing crazy, just to change the shift points, and lock the converter only at highway speed. and to optimize the 373s and jlt intake...

stracer25
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
sounds to me like the trottle cable needs adjustment, shouldn't be that hard i think its a philps head that tightens/loosens the spring thats just my opinion

05scooby
12-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok, update...

Uninstalled the tune, car ran worse!

Could feel it studdering at idle.
and all the symptoms I described above, were worse. Car bucked like a bull.

sponsored1
12-17-2008, 03:12 PM
could be a coil, you need to have it scanned while the problem is happening. The scanner will tell you if you have a misfire or other problem. Normally if there is a problem, there has to be x-amount of problems within a given time limit in order to trigger a cel. This is just to eliminate a false cel.

05scooby
12-21-2008, 10:05 PM
could be a coil, you need to have it scanned while the problem is happening. The scanner will tell you if you have a misfire or other problem. Normally if there is a problem, there has to be x-amount of problems within a given time limit in order to trigger a cel. This is just to eliminate a false cel.

yea you're talking about a trip cycle.

Mach1
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
check our your O2's and get logging

05scooby
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
well I changed out the fuel filter after checking the duty cycles on both banks of the o2 sensors and they're reading normal.

Im almost certain that the car is developing condensation in the gas tank because it gets driven maybe once a week if that. And after I changed the fuel filter, it ran 98% better. it hicc upped maybe 2 times, so Im thinking that maybe thats the problem.

Hopefully thats it. Bty, Mercurymarauder.net is full of smart azz, know it alls, that just make fun of people for asking questions. Thought the marauder owners club was supposed to be more mature of a crowd.

R22B
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
well I changed out the fuel filter after checking the duty cycles on both banks of the o2 sensors and they're reading normal.

Im almost certain that the car is developing condensation in the gas tank because it gets driven maybe once a week if that. And after I changed the fuel filter, it ran 98% better. it hicc upped maybe 2 times, so Im thinking that maybe thats the problem.

Hopefully thats it. Bty, Mercurymarauder.net is full of smart azz, know it alls, that just make fun of people for asking questions. Thought the marauder owners club was supposed to be more mature of a crowd.

I see the car is sold now... did you sell it because they were butt heads?

05scooby
01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
I see the car is sold now... did you sell it because they were butt heads?

No, I sold it a while ago, my dad bought it from me, I just maintain it.

I really hate posting there, its full of people who feel that their 2 cents which has absolutely nothing to do with the subject, needs to be heard.

The majority of them are arogant, and self indulgent weiners...

just makes it almost regretful to post a question...

Gordonfan24
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
True. I hadn't thought of that. You can try CrownVic.net to get a more definitive answer (though I see you may have figured it out). A lot of knowledgeable people - mostly young and broke, so they aren't jerks. The Marauder guys are usually 45+ years old, don't care about helping anyone out, etc. Even when I went out to the Fords at Carlisle show last summer with some guys at CrownVic.net, the MM.net folks stuck to themselves... The good Marauder owners are few and far between.

Anyway, good to hear you may have fixed it. The condensation in the fuel makes sense.

05scooby
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
True. I hadn't thought of that. You can try CrownVic.net to get a more definitive answer (though I see you may have figured it out). A lot of knowledgeable people - mostly young and broke, so they aren't jerks. The Marauder guys are usually 45+ years old, don't care about helping anyone out, etc. Even when I went out to the Fords at Carlisle show last summer with some guys at CrownVic.net, the MM.net folks stuck to themselves... The good Marauder owners are few and far between.

Anyway, good to hear you may have fixed it. The condensation in the fuel makes sense.

I thought it was fixed, it came back today when my dad was driving it and it threw a PO174 dtc. This could be caused by a number of things, dirty air filter and maf sensor and or vacuum leak.

Its weird though. It did run better after I changed the fuel filter.
And I cleaned the Maf sensor a few days before I did the F. F.
and made no difference. I really hate chasing problems, with limited rescources that limit my abilities to diagnose. However, my shop is booked, and school won't let me bring it in. So, Im just gonna have to clean the filter, clean the maf sensor and drive it for a while and hopefully the ecu won't see the same parameters again that set the dtc. oh and hopefully the bucking is done for.