PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timers

Black 05 WRX
10-26-2005, 10:49 AM
IS this something to consider even with a stock turbo. If I dont have one how long should I let it set after driving. Normal driving? Hard Driving?

thanks

SexyDSM95
10-26-2005, 10:51 AM
If your turbo is oil cooled and not water cooled then yes it's something to consider. Most turbo timbers have automatic settings that account for your RPMS into the time it takes to cool down. I usually set mine for 30-45 seconds if I am driving to work and if I beat on him then I let the TT calculate the time itself.

Let me ask you this, do you realize the reason for a turbo timer?

MuddyREX
10-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I bought a TT as the first mod for my WRX before realizing it was unnecessary. Don't waste your money on a TT for your wrx, the turbo will cool itself. Buy something worthwhile, like a bigger rear swaybar.

Black 05 WRX
10-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Reason:The number one cause of turbo failure is oil "coking". Oil "coking" occurs when a turbocharger is not properly cooled down and the oil that normally lubricates the center cartridge heats up and forms solidified oil deposits.

SexyDSM95
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Coking....I am a n00b to that term? But yea that's the basic idea

Francesco
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
if you have a warranty and stock turbo, then its really not much to consider...

now if you have some investments under the hood, or you merely want a TT for piece of mind then get one...

You should be ok if you let your car sit idle for a few minutes before you turn it off...

sesolcSTI
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
I have one, but i agree that its semi-not needed. Rich from precision tuning (not the dyno place........precision tuning in brick,nj......very well known subaru experts) told me that you shouldnt need to let your turbo "relax" for more than 15-20sec even after hard driving, as the oil drains from the turbo very quickly. So you can just sit in your car for an extra 15 seconds and save some money. I def agree with the rear sway bar! Get some rear endlinks too, it stiffens up the WRX amazingly! :)

Little G
10-26-2005, 04:32 PM
yeah i definatly needed one

BobErT-
10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
My Turbo Timer is set for 1 minute, and i have no problem with it. I dont knwo why they just dont install them from the factory?

moorefire
10-28-2005, 10:57 AM
because turbo timers on watercooled turbos are a waste of money

they're needed for non-watercooler turbos, but every poser with a turbo seems to think they need one

SexyDSM95
10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
because turbo timers on watercooled turbos are a waste of money

they're needed for non-watercooler turbos, but every poser with a turbo seems to think they need one
That's what I said! And from what I have seen before wrx's are oil cooled turbos and I believe the STi's are water cooled. Someone feel free to correct me though.

Francesco
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
That's what I said! And from what I have seen before wrx's are oil cooled turbos and I believe the STi's are water cooled. Someone feel free to correct me though.

im pretty sure all US spec WRX's are oiled cooled...I think an aftermarket company in Japan makes a water cooled kit, but its $$$

sisforsurfing
10-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I've always read on the Subaru boards that all WRX turbos are water cooled... turbo timers are unnecessary.

alachua
10-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Every turbo subaru is both oil and water cooled from the factory. This holds true on all the subaru specific IHI series turbos (usdm STi/JDM STi), and the stock mitsubishi turbo on the wrx/forester/legacy/baja.

Some aftermarket turbos, such as the FP Green, are oil cooled only, though they are sometimes offered with water cooling as an option.

-Cliff

PS: this is post 555 for me :rally:

BobErT-
10-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Bet you never heard of alcohol cooled.. thats what mine is ;)... j/k j/k.. Im gonna buy a TT but i hope it dont void my warranty.

SexyDSM95
10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
It's pretty easy to check if you are oil or water cooled. So if you are unsure just check and if you are oil cooled I would highly recommend a turbo timer.

alachua
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Bet you never heard of alcohol cooled.. thats what mine is ;)... j/k j/k.. Im gonna buy a TT but i hope it dont void my warranty.

I can't imagine how a TT would void your warranty, especially when most makers offer a direct plug in harness where you won't even have to cut any wires.

If you are going to get one, DON'T get the greddy...apparantly a fourth button would have caused the fall of civilization, thus, any action requires you to move your fingers like Les Claypool just to change the mode you are in.

-Cliff

BobErT-
10-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I would go with what my '02 Wrx had, the Apexi TT, i liked it, never had no trobule with it.

SexyDSM95
10-28-2005, 02:53 PM
If you are going to get one, DON'T get the greddy...apparantly a fourth button would have caused the fall of civilization, thus, any action requires you to move your fingers like Les Claypool just to change the mode you are in.

-Cliff
I am not sure if you are being facetious or not but I use to have a Greddy TT and it was awesome. If gave you an estimated 1/4 time along with a speedometer, etc. Only reason I got rid of it was because of how bulky it was.

BobErT-
10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I think with the Apexi TT alls you need to do, is just cut the security wire, and your good to go.

MuddyREX
10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
As pointless as it is, I <3 my HKS TT.

SexyDSM95
10-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I think with the Apexi TT alls you need to do, is just cut the security wire, and your good to go.
You need the ground wire, optional o2 sensor voltage wire, and e-brake/security wire. For easiest installation you buy the harness for $11. And the Greddy TT is the same exact install, it just was more advanced in reading options.

alachua
10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I am not sure if you are being facetious or not but I use to have a Greddy TT and it was awesome. If gave you an estimated 1/4 time along with a speedometer, etc. Only reason I got rid of it was because of how bulky it was.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/greddy_tt.jpg

That guy. I hated it...it was a great device from a functional standpoint...but switching modes was so cumbersome, it wasn't worth it.

To display voltage: hold all three buttons releasing your index finger first.

just put a 'Mode' button on it. :furious:

-Cliff

BobErT-
10-28-2005, 03:38 PM
I did love my Apexi TT, now i need one for the STI.

SexyDSM95
10-28-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/greddy_tt.jpg

That guy. I hated it...it was a great device from a functional standpoint...but switching modes was so cumbersome, it wasn't worth it.

To display voltage: hold all three buttons releasing your index finger first.

just put a 'Mode' button on it. :furious:

-Cliff
YEAAAA same exact one I had. I get what you are saying from switching to H or L or even the "extra" functions you had to play Twister with it.

I would also reccomend the BLITZ II turbo timers not only are they timers, but I believe it is a boost gauge also. Same "pen-like" style too.