PDA

View Full Version : Question for you car stereo people...

Intercooled T
10-24-2005, 08:38 PM
What kind of adapter do I need to run an aftermarket amp to a factory Delco CD Player? (Delco is found in GM cars ie: camaro, corvette, cavalier, etc)

Can any car-stereo people reccommend an adapter that will provide me with a pair of RCA outputs?

Silverfc88
10-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Most amps now have speaker level inputs so that you can just use your factory wireing to run a signal to an amp or you can get an adapter that will convert speaker wires to RCA outputs.

wonner
10-24-2005, 08:54 PM
I know Radio Shack or Pep Boys have adapters that wire into the speaker wires. It looks like small black box with 4 wires on one end and RCA outputs on the other. I'm not sure if you have to disconnect the speakers or you can just splice into the wires.

Intercooled T
10-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Is it called a hi-lo adapter? If so, what wires would I have to splice into?

Thanks

ScoobyNubieToo!
10-24-2005, 09:03 PM
The above posts have given you a good variety of options that are available but in the end the best option is to just buy a new head unti with the RCA connections built in....you'll be much happier with the end result.

wonner
10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
The above posts have given you a good variety of options that are available but in the end the best option is to just buy a new head unti with the RCA connections built in....you'll be much happier with the end result.
I agree. It would be the best option, unless you can't afford a new head unit. The adapter wires into your speaker wires running to the speakers(usually rear). And I think you have to disconnect those speakers.....I don't think you can have both speakers and the adapter.

Intercooled T
10-24-2005, 09:56 PM
The point is to keep an OEM look with decent factory-location speakers. I can afford a new head-unit, so that's pretty irrelevant to my needs.

Can anyone tell me which wires from my headunit wiring harness splice into the adapter and why?

BobErT-
10-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I think you need an Aftermarket Head unit to hook a system, and all those odd's and end's up.

specVogel
10-24-2005, 10:18 PM
with the adapter you probably splice into your rear speakers. i have a factory amp, aftermarket amp, and a sub with the factory deck. i just spliced into both rear speakers and didnt use any rca wires.

Intercooled T
10-24-2005, 11:10 PM
I know you can use a factory stereo w/ an external amp people, don't doubt me on that... Thanks specVogel, thats what i thought! :)

ScoobyNubieToo!
10-24-2005, 11:17 PM
I know you can use a factory stereo w/ an external amp people, don't doubt me on that... Thanks specVogel, thats what i thought! :)
If your deadset on keeping the stock head unit, then just get an amp with speaker level outputs and you'll be fine....that's the easiest way 2 go....

Intercooled T
10-24-2005, 11:27 PM
yea, that's what I'm thinking pretty much. Its not the stock headunit, but from a 2000 vette, w/ adapters to go in my 84 :) It'll look nice I think, but I'll let you judge when its in

1988 Olds
10-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Let me look at it sometime Chris. IMO sell the Unit and pick up a cheap CD player. Don't worry so much about OEM. As long as you don't go hacking stuff up you'll be fun. Let me know when your going to be working on it.