PDA

View Full Version : MAP ECU?? what do you think?

iloveturbolag
10-08-2008, 03:36 PM
i am going to be swapping in a jdm 2jzgte into a s14, Tech2motorsports recomends using the MAP ECU 2 for tuning. i know it can be set up as a piggyback or a standalone. just wondering what you guys think and if you have any other recommendations.
ps. since its a jdm motor it doesnt use the MAF sensor it uses MAP, this means no USDM tuning for supras will work.

Nick 95 6sp
10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Back when I got my MAPECU they didn't have the MAPECU2 yet so obviously mine only does fuel, no timing...but mine has been faultless and working great...btw, it's on my Supra, small single, full fuel sys...btw2, Vince at R/T tuned mine and did a good job, runs smooth and without any problems.

TROLL
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I will be using a MAP ECU on my MKIV soon... no experience with it yet though. 67mm turbo with 750cc injectors...

GmFwd
10-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Map and boost go together well.

iloveturbolag
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
thanks guys, glad to hear people like it. the car currently has an SR20 and i want to eventually swap in a 2jz. i wanted some type of managment that i could use with both ecu's. since both will be JDM's since usdm ejz are next to impossible to find. are you guys running it as a piggy back or stand alone. from what ive read they can be set up as both. if you are running it as a piggyback, do you like it?

SoStock92
10-14-2008, 11:03 AM
personally i'd want timing control...

TROLL
10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I dont like the idea of timing 'control' on an ecu where you can't tell what your timing values are, and they are being constantly adjusted out of your control anyway. Its just a +1 or -1 on an arbitrary value which you'll never know... all you can do is watch for knock and pull timing if it does. Not a very elegant solution unfortunately.

Vince@R/TTuning
10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
you can hook up a good scan tool while you run it on the dyno and check timing on that and adjust accordingly.

TROLL
10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I think I read you can do that on OBD2, but not on my old heap of an OBD1 car though :(. True?

Vince@R/TTuning
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I think I read you can do that on OBD2, but not on my old heap of an OBD1 car though :(. True?

Yea...def on OBD2 you can and on some ODB1 you can as well...but i think your right on your car, i dont think ya can

SoStock92
10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I dont like the idea of timing 'control' on an ecu where you can't tell what your timing values are, and they are being constantly adjusted out of your control anyway. Its just a +1 or -1 on an arbitrary value which you'll never know... all you can do is watch for knock and pull timing if it does. Not a very elegant solution unfortunately.

right but thats not timing control

im saying, i'd rather have a real ecu with full control

TROLL
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
ok fair enough... i was debating between map ecu and map ecu 2... differences with the 2 are timing control, boost control, map switching, launch control, and i forget what else. i decided to just stick with the original as i've been told that leaving timing stock on the 2jz-gte ecu will get you really far. in fact power house racing says on their site they dont recommend the 2 unless you're aiming for 750+ whp. of course this wont be the case with other makes and models.

i agree though... its either keep it basic with a vpc or map ecu, or go to something really powerful like the aem or f-con v pro for total control of your tune. unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much of a middle ground (as it applies to the 2jz at least).

SoStock92
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.dtafast.co.uk/

Rockin - ordered mine friday

Nick 95 6sp
10-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm also using my MAPECU as a piggyback for fuel control...on a Supra I don't think you can run a MAPECU except as a piggyback or at least I never heard of doing that.

As far as timing control, how much it's worth to you partly depends on what your stock ecu can do. IMO the stock Supra ECU (mine is OBD1 but moded by gForce for increased rev limit, no boost cut and no speed cut) along with the Toyota developed knock control are so good that for most people it's not worth messing with it...unless you're pushing way over 700whp, or want to do something like run a lot of boost on low octane and that would take pulled timing...which I don't believe in doing anyway. The stock Supra ECU runs very aggressive timing and as long as you feed the motor adequate octane, that is a good thing...or at least that's the way it seems to me.