PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Noises

CleanNeon98
09-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Got a few funny noises coming from what I think is my transmission, just wanted to get some feedback.

there is a "rattle" type sound at idle and sometimes low RPM takeoff (this i hear is normal because of the pilot bearing, read on)

also at lower RPM, i can hear a whining/whirring coming from the trans while moving in gear...also sometimes if i try to get the shifter into a low gear like 1st at 20, there is the same whirring sound. it doesnt sound quite like reverse gear does, just a faint whirring sound.

I read that these cars have bad pilot bearings stock, and that my transmission fluid could be old/low/thinning but im getting a bit paranoid. anyone local to NE philly who has time to take the car for a drive and have a listen is more than welcome, just PM me

...im going to be doing a trans and diff flush soon so is there anything i should look for while im at it? i already know what fluids to use and what capacities, but just looking for someone's finger to point me in the right direction.

sherwood
09-20-2008, 09:38 AM
uttt ohhhhh...throw out bearing for the rattle?

lownslow95
09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I was also going to say throw-out bearing. I remember when DropTopChevy was driving his Camaro, and his tansmission made the same kind of noise you were talking about. He then took his trans out, and he saw that his throw-out bearing had become two pices. The metal ring that holds all the bearings broke, and there were bearings all over his trans. He got lucky he caught it in time.

Silverfc88
09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Sounds like synchro whine. Try avoiding going into first while moving like coming up to a stop. Wait until you stop to get into first.

A trans fluid swap could probably get rid of it. I use Redline MT90 in the trans and I love the stuff. I've used Neo and Royal Purple and I think the MT90 gives me the best gear changes.

The rattle could be the pilot bearing. The only way to tell is to pull the tranny and inspect everything while its off.

CleanNeon98
09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like synchro whine. Try avoiding going into first while moving like coming up to a stop. Wait until you stop to get into first.

A trans fluid swap could probably get rid of it. I use Redline MT90 in the trans and I love the stuff. I've used Neo and Royal Purple and I think the MT90 gives me the best gear changes.

The rattle could be the pilot bearing. The only way to tell is to pull the tranny and inspect everything while its off.
Well it does that same thing when going into 2nd, and 3rd, after that there is too much tire noise for me to hear anything. I don't know what to think. I tried calling FlyinMiata because they deal with the cars routinely, but they are closed until Monday. Hopefully the fluid swap can get everything done though, im just looking to see if anyone has any other ideas

CleanNeon98
09-20-2008, 12:57 PM
talked to a buddy of mine and he said its probbably just a sign of the trans fluid needing a refreshment plan...hopefully hes right

russiankid
09-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Like I already told you we'll change the fluid and then we can see if that helps. It most likely will because 38k on original fluid is not a good thing.

Renegade_
09-20-2008, 08:30 PM
your going into 1st @ 20mph? wow...

CleanNeon98
09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
your going into 1st @ 20mph? wow...
no, it was just an example...for example if i am moving towards a red light with the clutch in and im going down the gears appropriately instead of chillin in neutral i can hear it each time.....weird ****
Like I already told you we'll change the fluid and then we can see if that helps. It most likely will because 38k on original fluid is not a good thing.

Renegade_
09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
synchro wine isn't really anything that is the end all be all of transmissions. My old subaru wined like hell in first gear, sounded like straight cuts.

If you use 75w90 redline, just be aware... when that fluid is cold it kind of sucks. My entire trans is 75w90 redline and when its cold I grind 1-2 pretty bad the first time if I shift normally. Gotta baby it otherwise. As soon as its warm though... goddamn, I can slam gears and the trans feels amazing.

CleanNeon98
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
synchro wine isn't really anything that is the end all be all of transmissions. My old subaru wined like hell in first gear, sounded like straight cuts.

If you use 75w90 redline, just be aware... when that fluid is cold it kind of sucks. My entire trans is 75w90 redline and when its cold I grind 1-2 pretty bad the first time if I shift normally. Gotta baby it otherwise. As soon as its warm though... goddamn, I can slam gears and the trans feels amazing.
Tell me about it, when the car is still cold I cant engage smoothly no matter what i do...i already owned myself with coffee when i left my house for class once :lol:

its just noises i never heard in any other cars, but maybe its because i wasnt really paying attention...i only noticed it in mine not long ago when i turned off the radio

CleanNeon98
09-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I just swapped out the original factory trans oil for MT-90 today. The trans used to have a modest gear whine at certain RPMs and under light to no load (decelerating). It seems to be completely GONE now. Wow. I only drove it a few miles but wow, was it quiet Seemed to shift a little smoother, too, but that wasn't as pronounced a difference as was getting rid of that whine.

hopefully i get the same miracle treatment cause that whine is exactly what i have at the same rpms and situations

pinacup7
09-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Throw out bearing

russiankid
09-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Throw out bearing

How would that explain the noise when he is moving in gear? The throw out bearing does not contact the pressure plate when clutch is fully released.