PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Cobra Guys

05scooby
09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Im writing an article about the foundation in which the terminator (03/04) Cobra Present for performance modifications.

What Im looking to see is a general comonality in which bone stock cobras are modded.

What are basic Mods or stater mods. What aspects of the car are weaker than others.

Opinions are welcome, smarta$$ comments aren't.
Thanks in advance...

240sxDann
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Cold air intakes, bigger throttle body's, smaller supercharger pullies, crank pullies, full exhaust, and gears. I'd say they are the most commonly done mods there are. On the higher side of things, ported eatons, and higher then that, kenne bell or whipple superchargers. 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.6L (size of KB's)

OMGz Turbo
09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
hit up ITS STOCK on here, he could probably chime in here steve is real smart with this ****

05scooby
09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Appreciate the input guys keep it comin...

What about the rear. I've heard the IRS is a weak link in these cars....
But I guess it depends on what you're using it for? Like for a drag application only, I've heard people swap in a solid rear, where as the IRS suspension. I've heard is better suited for handling situations

240sxDann
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
You are correct. Being that *most* people with cobras drag race, they swap an 8.8" rear from a GT in. They also run spools (which basically is like welding your diff) or lsd's. ("posi") Swapping the rear is no beginner mod though. It is pretty time consuming and costly. (usually around $3k)

sean3
09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
cooling mods
cooling mods
cooling mods

Eatons blow. Mega heat soak :(

After that it's the typical pulley, tune, exhaust, tires, gears, intake, ported blower, nitrous deal until you end up building your motor and throwing on a huge KB or whipple or turbo(s).

The IRS is complete crap. It's known to break even with stock power levels on an 01 cobra (N/A 300hp) but I'm not sure if they beefed it up for the termi. Either way it's still incredibly weak and probably the worst IRS made in recent history. Here's a guide on building the IRS:
http://www.svtsnake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18264

Mach1
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Cold air intakes, bigger throttle body's, smaller supercharger pullies, crank pullies, full exhaust, and gears. I'd say they are the most commonly done mods there are. On the higher side of things, ported eatons, and higher then that, kenne bell or whipple superchargers. 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.6L (size of KB's)
NO crank pulleys changed on a 4.6 mod motor... they will destroy the oil pump taking out the entire engine, they only swap out the lower pulley.

PhillySVT
09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Basic mods are Bigger MAF, intake, smaller upper pulley/larger lower pulley, cooling mods (larger heat exchanger/head cooling mod), ported supercharger, cat back, tuner, and a rear DIF brace.. All these mods can be had for a little over $2,500 new and will get you around 500rwhp/500rwtq. Most guys that go over will need a BAP ($250) and 60lb injectors ($400) which can bring you around 530-540 depending on the dyno. Throw on a shot of NOS and you can hit 650rwhp/7xxrwtq very easily. I've owned 2 for the last 3 years and have been everywhere from ported eaton to Turbo.

Most of the hype about the IRS is crap that is out there. I had a BF brace, anti hop plates, and new bushing in my last car and was putting down over 540rwhp with out wheelhop. My current car has these and level 5 halfshafts and I put down over 600rwhp and will smoke 98% of the cars on the road. Most guys i know DO NOT switch to a solid unless they 1/4 the car mostly. Plenty of low 10 sec cars with the IRS around the country.

PhillySVT
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Plenty of cars putting down over 600rwhp on stock blocks. People have hit 900 although I don't know how long that will last. Biggest flaw in the car is the piston to wall clearance. Long high speed runs of over 150mph have killed a bunch of 03/04 cobras. They do not like massive amounts of boost in 5th and 6th gear.

Mach1
09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Plenty of cars putting down over 600rwhp on stock blocks. People have hit 900 although I don't know how long that will last. Biggest flaw in the car is the piston to wall clearance. Long high speed runs of over 150mph have killed a bunch of 03/04 cobras. They do not like massive amounts of boost in 5th and 6th gear.

Its not necesarilly the boost, but the HEAT. The heat expands the pistons more that makes them fuse to the cylinders.

its a combination of the longer gearing, higher drag at the higher speeds that prevent you from accellerationg through the gears as fast as the other 4 and just build up heat. If you have 9 shorter gears you whould be fine, because as you shift you go to lower RPM's helping to reduce heat also.

05scooby
09-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks again guys. Your input is greatly appreciated..

now, Halfshafts?

If somebody would elaborate if they could on this... Is this the weak point in the rear?

Stillen GLE
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM

now, Halfshafts?

If somebody would elaborate if they could on this... Is this the weak point in the rear?

are you thinking of buying a cobra?

PhillySVT
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM

now, Halfshafts?

Depends....plenty of cars running 10's with them stock. My buddy did. I have upraded ones that should take 900 rwhp but I've seen a lot of guys break them with 600hp cars sticky tires and a hard launch (4,000 RPM+)

Kevin
09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
IRS is good you wanna handle pretty good I believe. My buddy had underbody suspension mods and his handled great from what he said.

Renegade_
09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
What I hear a lot of cobra guys doing is pretty simple - Intake, supercharger pulley off of a lightning, and exhaust. That will be a REAL nice bump in power. Intake and exhaust would set you back a bit but the pulley you can get off of any lightning owner for like 30 bucks I hear.

Kevin
09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Upgrade the stock heat exchanger also. Will help with your temps for the troubles stated above and if it is silver it looks like a FMIC :lol: