PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new video/film job...

OPZ
07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm getting extremely sick of my current job, and since I have an AS in Video Production I'd like to actually...use it.

So by any stretch of chance anyone hiring or know someone who's hiring in the Butler/Cranberry/Pittsburgh area involved with film/video?

I sent out a feeler thing to Batpack Studios, but I'm didn't even see anything about job opportunities on their site.

KingOfDelco
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Batpack studios recently rented equipment from my company, (Batpack = also called "the Gaffhouse"?). I forget the contact names over there tho. EDIT: Andrew Mclean and Chris Lombardo - according to their website. If you want, tell them you worked on Dare (a movie they worked on in the philly area recently) and were referred by the grip/lighting rental house in philly (PM me for my company info-- ist should help! :) . I'll go thru my old emails and invoices and see if I can find any production companies we've worked with from that area (because they would be more likely to hire you).

My advice tho: don't get into the production biz. :)

OPZ
07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Eh, I'm going to school for it and actually love it. My friend and I would love to start our own.

But I sent and email to chris to see if they were hiring, shoulda attached my resume...damn it! Oh well, theres always more...or the ones in florida!

KingOfDelco
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Eh, I'm going to school for it and actually love it. My friend and I would love to start our own.

But I sent and email to chris to see if they were hiring, shoulda attached my resume...damn it! Oh well, theres always more...or the ones in florida!

lol. yeah, you love SCHOOL where u just make silly student movies with your friends etc... try going out into the rEAL world and trying to make the kind of money you think you're going to make! :D

film school is NOTHING like real world production. if you think people are going to pay you to make your own movies (like most film students seem to think) you have another thing coming.

Basically, it sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree. Unless you want to be a rental manager or equipment manager ,etc... a rental house or studio isn't where u want to go. You want to be a freelancer, work on lots of different projects doing various things, right??

then you basically need to start out being a PA (production assistant) and work your way up. THis includes working 14 hour days on a flat rate sweating your butt off with no overtime, benefits, etc...

Also, every film student and their friend want to start their own company. hate to rain on your parade, but its true. I've actually been in the biz 5+ years in various different roles, so i've seen a LOT.

if you want to start working in the biz, I can set u up as a PA in the philly area, but i don't have many contacts (nor do i think its worthwhile trying) in pittsburgh.

PM me if you want more info.

this is the company i work for www.locationlighting.com

OPZ
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh, I know what you mean. Actually my "dream job" is Directing or Camera Op in a major picture. I plan on taking a Steadicam workshop here soon, and then going about after that to see what else I'd need to be certified in that. I know there's always a market for Steadicam op's!

But actually thanks to Rendell's tax incentive, Pitt (or as one of the local papers dubbed it) 'Hollyburgh' is picking up business.

There's some lady at the Pittsburgh Film office that spends a bunch of time in LA, coaxing people to come out to Pitt and film. I keep waiting to try and get onto these sets as a runner or something, but I can't ever thanks to freaking work.

KingOfDelco
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh, I know what you mean. Actually my "dream job" is Directing or Camera Op in a major picture. I plan on taking a Steadicam workshop here soon, and then going about after that to see what else I'd need to be certified in that. I know there's always a market for Steadicam op's!

But actually thanks to Rendell's tax incentive, Pitt (or as one of the local papers dubbed it) 'Hollyburgh' is picking up business.

There's some lady at the Pittsburgh Film office that spends a bunch of time in LA, coaxing people to come out to Pitt and film. I keep waiting to try and get onto these sets as a runner or something, but I can't ever thanks to freaking work.

wow, i just typed a whole post and it got deleted because my internet disconnected... sucks.

anyway, good luck. like i said, PM me and I will give u more details. I'm not bragging, but I've helped to get quite a few young lads like yourself into the biz as PA's here in philly area.... what u do from there is on you.