PDA

View Full Version : clarification to auto-x rule....saleen allowed?

jdm free
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
What would the Saleen Mustang Supercharged compete in? im tryin to figure out if my dad can race since he really wants try out auto-x.

It is SCCA’s intention to class all essentially identical vehicles from the same
manufacturer (which differ only cosmetically or in nominal marque designation)
in the same class. If a version is omitted from the class listing, and is
otherwise eligible for the category, then its classification will be the same as
the equivalent car which is listed.

All unclassified cars will compete in Super Stock until classified by the SEB,
unless covered by a “catch-all” description. To use the catch-alls at the end
of the specific car classes in Appendix A, start from Super Stock and work
down the classes until a class is found. Such unclassified cars will not be
eligible for Divisionals, Tours, or the National Championships. Members
should look for a Tech Bulletin in an early current-year issue of the official
SCCA publication for details, or contact the National office.

For Stock Category vehicles, the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications shall
be used for specific wheel diameter and maximum rim width specifications.

The following make/models are not eligible for Stock Category: BMW M3
Lightweight, Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6), Calloway Corvette, Mustang Cobra
R, Dodge Viper SRT-10, Dodge Viper (NOC), Ferrari (NOC), Ford GT, Firebird
Firehawk, Lamborghini (NOC), Mini ‘Works’ package (pre-’06 dealer-installed),
Porsche 911 GT2 (‘02+), Porsche 911 Turbo AWD, Porsche 911 GT3
(997) and GT3 RS (997), BMW Z8, BMW 325 M-Technic, Lotus Elan M100,
Ferrari 355 and 360, Saleen Mustang (supercharged), and Oldsmobile 442
HO W-41 (Sports package option).

alwaysinboost
07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
probably SM2, but it doesn't really matter because you won't be winning anything if its your first time out. actually you'll probably be getting waxed by stock civics & miatas with a fraction of your HP, lol. thats fine though, just sign up under the novice class and get an instructor to go out with you each run. you'll be surprised how much you learn.

jdm free
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
probably SM2, but it doesn't really matter because you won't be winning anything if its your first time out. actually you'll probably be getting waxed by stock civics & miatas with a fraction of your HP, lol. thats fine though, just sign up under the novice class and get an instructor to go out with you each run. you'll be surprised how much you learn.

my dad would be drivin the saleen..i would be in my civic. im not goin to try and win just to learn and have a good time.

alwaysinboost
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
to have a blast your first time out here is all you need to do...

walk the course, register as a novice, walk the course, do the novice course walk, walk the course again, get an instructor to ride with you and listen to everything they tell you, even if it seems counter-intuitive. do those those things and I guarantee you'll have a blast.

461_SS
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
autox is fun! You will not be disappointed! Like what boost said, walk the course and take a instructor. My first time I took an instructor for my first 2 runs. Mostly because I'm not new to racing cars :mrgreen:.They helped me out a lot! My last two runs I kept on getting better. Out of everything that I've ever raced, autox is up there cause of the adrenaline rush! You won't be disappointed! Enjoy!

Zillon
07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I would recommend walking the course 4-5x, or as many as you can possibly fit in. See if you can find a veteran nearby that will allow you to walk with them when they walk the course - they'll point out braking zones, recommended lines, alternative lines, etc.

When I went to Warminster for my first AutoX, I walked the course 3-4 times in the morning, and 2 times in the afternoon.

Also, NEVER go out there thinking you know everything.

FocusDude
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
What year and model? 2008 Rulebook states ::

A Stock - Saleen - Mustang (normally aspirated)
BSP - Saleen - MustangS281E, Mustang (NOC)
ESP - Saleen - Mustang 302 & 351 nonsupercharged (’84-’93)

jdm free
07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
What year and model? 2008 Rulebook states ::

A Stock - Saleen - Mustang (normally aspirated)
BSP - Saleen - MustangS281E, Mustang (NOC)
ESP - Saleen - Mustang 302 & 351 nonsupercharged (’84-’93)

i just put it in the BSP since its the closest to what my dad has..his isnt an extreme but is supercharged

FocusDude
07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Nobody will probably care, that is until he starts placing!

i like rice
07-08-2008, 07:06 AM
He can contact the local club, give a list of mods (if any) and they can place him in the correct class.