PDA

View Full Version : civic idle problem

CivEX1021
06-23-2008, 08:52 PM
i'm hoping someone can help here finally... i have a 95 coupe and when i start the car after its been sitting the idle is all messed up and the rpms are jumping from 1 to like 2.. 2 and half and the **** does not stop until the car finally warms up after driving for like 5 mins sometimes longer especially when its cold.. ive already changed the tps sensor cleaned the throttle body and everything else i've been told by friends and it still keeps doing it.. does anyone have any idea how to fix this?? everyone tells me its common but it im tired of it lol

underpressure02
06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Either your IACV or your fast idle thermo valve has prob gone bad. I don't know much about d series but that is where I would first start to look in a b series

na is best!
06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I had a 97 acura CL that had the exact problem, would only do it when it was first started then go away. It turned out to be a bad EGR valve, I unplugged the egr and it went away. Don't kno if it is the same with you, but wont hurt to try.

But I agree with underpressure, check the little screw on ur thrrottle body, and play with it back and forth and see if it helps, and also check you IACV (the thing on the back of the manifold that the coolant hoses go into) sometimes they get dirty and just a simple takin off and cleanin will make it stop. Also check coolant levels, I have been told that can cause funn idles, i dunno how true it is cuz I NEVER seen a car with idle problems cuz of collant levels, but worth a shot! either way, Good luck!!

CivEX1021
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
thanks guys.. i had cleaned the iacv before and that didnt help ill try that screw tho someone else told me to try that

pearl
06-24-2008, 02:54 PM
when the cars making the jumps, unplug the iacv and see if it still does it.

driftingrx5.7
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
also the ECT check that i had that happen to my d16 check that

Keeper1343
06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I have had the idle problem when i was low on coolant... I was like WTF is causing it!!!! Then for some reason i was checking my fluid and was like wtf. Filled it and it stopped

underpressure02
06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Also forgot to add make sure there is not air in your coolant system this will make your idle go all over the place.