PDA

View Full Version : Philly Races, never going again :(

PhillyGsx
03-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Now i know, your not supposed to post about races, or maybe u can. i feel the need to post this.

Last night, i was down the races, now i go almost every weekend, and i know alot of people down there. Thank god this involves nobody i know.

(street names have been ** out for reasons)

Ok, so i was on *** street and the cops came, i was luckly moving out of the pack at the line so i could be away from a bunch of idiots. SOO... as i break off, the cops come, and i was already free to go. so i left, and im crusing down the road, and come around a big turn. There is a bunch of car dealers around, and i see tons of smoke and cars ahead of me. My friend 2-ways me and tells me to come up the side of the road and help , there has been a pile-up.

So i hurry, thinking he is involved, and by the time i get up there, i see like 15 cars smashed up, but 2 cars where tottaled beyond belief.

I Come to find out, one kid was dead, my friend tried to get a pulse, but coudnt. Apparently the kid was only 16 , just had his license and was doing 120 mph +. And hit a civic head on. He was pronounced dead before police and medical assistence arrived. I stood there as 2 cars where on fire, one with a kid dead inside, and the other with kids being oulled out of it, while the car is actualy on fire. i wanted to help, but there was already enough people helping. By the time police arrived, there was easily 300 cars lined up and everyone was silent. and it seemed as if everyone was praying. Everyone stood there and watched.

As of that minute, i went back to *** street and saw hundreds of people racing, so f-in stupid. a damn kid just died and you guys are still racing 1/4 mile from where the damn accident is. I heard some kid say "well thats good, there wont be any cops around... WRONG you fcuking idiot, cops are going to pull anyone over for anything and try to **** you in the ass with charges. i hope everyone down there gets arressted and gets a minimum of 30 days in prison.

STREET RACING IS A CRIME. STREET RACING SHOULD BE A FELONY CHARGE. With mandatory jail time!

TROLL
03-06-2005, 05:24 PM
wow, i hope that there were a lot of others who are smart enough to come away from this situation like you did. its horrible, but hopefully some good came come out of it happening in front of so many people and it will change a lot of people's views on street racing.
bryan

stichris
03-06-2005, 05:52 PM
That is horrible. I used to carry a fire extinguisher with me in the m3; I have to switch it to the STi.

Unfortunately, it is really difficult to change people. You've now learned that the only way to learn about something is to do it yourself. No matter how many times someone told you that street racing is dangerous, you still went every weekend. It's not a problem that can be easily solved, no matter what.

Chris

TalonTsi97
03-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Im 17 years old, and I dont have my liscense yet. Every weekend my friends try to get me to go. They tell me and my dad to go and my dads never wants to do it for the same reasons. I hear way to many bad storys from down there. I would like to go just to watch some cars race but it really isnt worth it when you think about it.
I feel bad for what happened down there, Hope it teaches a lot of idiots a lesson.
At least you learnt a lesson and you wont be back down there. I know i will be tempted to go when i get my liscense but i will try to think of the things i read online and it will probably change my mind.
EDIT* not that it really matter but what kinda cars crashed? I mite know someone or have seen the around so im interested.
Thanks

TrboChicsRock
03-06-2005, 07:25 PM
When I first got into the car scene I went to Philly a few times. I went maybe three different weekends and each weekend saw a bad accident. My friend was driving and the car in front of us lost control and took down a telephone pole. On a different weekend a bike was racing a car and actually hit a train crossing a road. I haven't been there in years and I will never go there again.

Silver04STi
03-06-2005, 07:38 PM
I was going to the Philly street races back 1992 when I was 15 and they were so much better that they are now. Big blocks, trailered cars, big money races...it was great. The races would go on for hours on the same street and when the cops did show up, they would just flash their lights and off to the next street we would go. Noone was drinking, smoking weed, just good fun. The last time I went like 2 years ago it was so different, fights, people throwing bottles, and just stupid **** that got the cops involved more. Haven't been back since.

SilverTurboRidin
03-06-2005, 07:50 PM
my boy paul was up there on the scene along with my other friend mark...both witnessed the entrie event.

Aaron
03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
You have a son? I thought you were only like 19??

stichris
03-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Hahaha!

On a semi-related note, I always crack up when my dad calls me "son"

naSTI
03-07-2005, 12:08 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/images/wpvi03062005swax2.jpg
http://abclocal.go.com/images/wpvi03062005swax3.jpg
http://abclocal.go.com/images/wpvi03062005swax4.jpg

It's always sad to see stupidity or carelesness lead to tragedy.

I know how easy it is to get caught up with friends doing stupid things, or when pride kicks in when someone calls you out for a street race. I've lost six friends in separate dragging accidents back when I was a teeneager.

Kids street raced in the city then and they will always.

There is always one person to serve as a lesson to their immediate social circles.

alachua
03-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I was going to the Philly street races back 1992 when I was 15 and they were so much better that they are now. Big blocks, trailered cars, big money races...it was great. The races would go on for hours on the same street and when the cops did show up, they would just flash their lights and off to the next street we would go. Noone was drinking, smoking weed, just good fun. The last time I went like 2 years ago it was so different, fights, people throwing bottles, and just stupid *no cursing!* that got the cops involved more. Haven't been back since.

You hit the nail on the head.

People have been street racing since the dawn of automobiles, they will most likely do it until the end of time. The difference is that the youth of today is more crass, careless, immature, unintelligent, and plain old ignorant. Thats not to mention people's fancy for being un-sober. Its sad, but as a whole this is what we have become. Illegal or not, the races have existed for decades, but it took this group to really screw it up. The even sadder part is, even if the put up a track in the area, and charged a reasonable fee, these brain surgeons probably wouldn't go. Cause we all knowz teh streetz be mo' illizit yo. F :finga: king brain dead fools.

Raise the driving age, require more stringent driver education and testing, enforce the rules of the road (lane dicipline, signaling, safe following distance) and take away the licenses of those who can't follow the rules. Take away the cars of the people without licenses who can't follow the rules. Its time we start making people responsable for their actions.

-Cliff

MuddyREX
03-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Raise the driving age, require more stringent driver education and testing, enforce the rules of the road (lane dicipline, signaling, safe following distance) and take away the licenses of those who can't follow the rules. Take away the cars of the people without licenses who can't follow the rules. Its time we start making people responsable for their actions.

-Cliff

:iagree: x eleventybillion!!!1!1

teh DIRT
03-07-2005, 01:38 AM

-Cliff

:iagree: x eleventybillion!!!1!1

i totally agree and im only 18. to get my liscense.....i pulled outa the lot...turned the corner....and pulled in the other side. complete and utter bullsh|T

MuddyREX
03-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Drivers education sucks in this country. Every person should be forced to take an advanced driving course before they get a liscence.

MuddyREX
03-07-2005, 02:27 AM
How's this for a street racing punishment?

ORLANDO, Fla.

If drivers can't read Erik Rivera's sign, they might be going too fast.

Rivera used to speed and street race on late nights through south Orange County. Now he goes at a slower pace, wearing a sign: "Don't Street Race. I Lost my Drivers License for 3 Years."

Orange Circuit Judge John H. Adams Sr. ordered 24-year-old Rivera, of Kissimmee, to wear the sandwich-board sign as a deterrent to other racers.

Rivera was arrested in June and convicted in November of fleeing and eluding deputies and resisting law enforcement without violence.

Along with losing his license and being placed on three year's probation, he has to wear the sign where he used to race at the Waterbridge Shopping Center parking lot near the Florida Mall.

Rivera will wear the 2-foot-by-3-foot sign for 50 consecutive Sundays from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m., when other young people are out racing. He must also pay for the sign and attend a special driving school.

"It's them (the other racers) that I want to see the sign," Adams told Rivera Monday. "We're going to have somebody out there to make sure you're there."

Rivera's attorney, Assistant Public Defender Aramis Donell, said her client had some initial reservations about wearing the sandwich-board sign.

"He thinks it's making a mockery. There is a level of humiliation. But it beats going to the Department of Corrections," Donell said.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

TrboChicsRock
03-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I used to go out to a road by me where people have been street racing forever. My friends mother even used to go out there when she was younger. I used to go out there 4 years ago and after a few hours the cops would show up and just up and tell everyone to go home. People started doing stupid stuff and I stopped going. The cops caught onto this so now they'll give you a ticket for anything they can possibly think of if they catch you out there.

bjc26
03-07-2005, 10:28 AM
This is just one more reason while I will never participate in "street racing" events. I'm not going to lie and say I haven't raced on the street before but when you are out with a large group of immature, inexperienced drivers something like this is bound to happen. What amazes me is that I see a post like this almost once a week on the various boards I visit yet people keep going down to philly/wherever. :roll: