PDA

View Full Version : Wat u think of the new beater.

93celicagt-s
06-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Well i forgot about alll these fourms untill i got my happy birthday email this mornin lol. well any way here it is. a 1991 honda civic CRX its the si or the hf but the one in between lol (i forget what it is) but my buddy mike is sellin it to me for 700 (only cause hes gettin evicted) its got the heavy duty si tranny in it 2 extra injectors (as it only came w/ 2 from the factory) the computer is all done up and ready for turbo, full flow tech exhaust headers back. only question i have is what would be better. do the b16 swap or turbo the ol'e d16.

cwd240
06-14-2008, 08:26 AM
I would say b16 only because the d series engines won't withstand the higher hp numbers from turbo like the b series will. Also there is better after market support for the b series as compared to the d series

dragonfly2k3
06-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I would say d16. Only becaues you can build(mild, but still good) and boost the motor you already have for the cost of the b16 swap.

stover
06-14-2008, 08:01 PM
yea mild build plus boost instead of the work of a swap

DownforceTom
06-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Plus you don't have a d16 factory, it's a d15. Not to be a jerk or anything, just wanted to make sure you knew. Anyway do either motor and turbo that thing... you'll love it lots.

one8turbo
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
i know of a turbo d16 that, from what ive seen, is pretty badass. id go with that

pearl
06-15-2008, 11:11 PM
ive done both, my sohc turbo car was the cheapest and by far the funest car overall. cost me 700 dollars to run 13.50 @ 105. the swapped car was fun to rip around in (i had a b16 in my hatch, little mods and a h22 integra with minor mods) but the sohc turbo = cheapest and fastest. also d series parts are a dime a dozen.

you can easily find a complete obd1-2 d16 vtec swap for way less than 400 dollars.

a swapped civic with a b16 MIGHT dip into 14.50s.

na is best!
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Its all about your preference!!!! There is no better way to do something then the way you wanna do it. No swap is better then the next, they all have there ups and downs. B16s are great base motors to start out with, just lack torque, but you can still make em pretty fast, and single as well can be pretty fast. If you askin which would be better to boost, the go b16 cuz it is a bigger motor. But if it is a choice from a stock b16 to a boosted d16.. well thats up to you. Think long run, what you might wanna do and what will be best.

And to the people sayin a stock d16 wont hold boost... check out epic tuning. They had a d16z6 bone stock with just head studs tuned by evans 375whp at 24psi, and ran strong with no problems. So the possibilites are endless... its all about what you into, boost, juice, or NA..... then from there choose a base block and take it from there

good luck!!!

dragonfly2k3
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
A couple of notes on this thread. A D16 is the same displacement as a B16.
A B16 swapped car can certainly go faster than 14.5s. My car beat many a low 14 second car. However, that was a rather modified b16 in a gutted hatch. My boosted D16 was the most win car i ever owned, They are so damn much fun.

HatchSurfer3
06-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Just a thought to keep in mind, if its going to be ur beater, always keep that in mind or ur gonna end up with a bunch of project cars haha. Not that its necessarily a bad thing, but projects mean down time. But id go boosted d if ur going to do something

Keeper1343
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
i would go with the b16. Because 1 month after you boost the D your gonna want to go faster. Im soory but unless you put large amounts of money into a d16.. they aren't fast. Well they are fast but will blow up soon afterwards. just take ur time to find a cheap b16 block and keep it inside your garage and build it slowly. Try to find deals on parts that people are selling. Don't just go out and buy something only to realize that 1 week later someone sold the same thing for 1/2 the price.
My choice would be a boosted B16. Can't go wrong with them.

and remember like i said... Take ur time finding parts. It will take alot of patience and time to find the parts for less money but they are out there. It has saved me over 2K just in my suspension. There aren't too many people that can find Tein Flex coilovers brand new in the box (not stolen) for 500. They alone saved me 900

pearl
06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
all in conversation, all love, just so people know:

i would go with the b16. Because 1 month after you boost the D your gonna want to go faster.
stock turbo d > stock swap

Im soory but unless you put large amounts of money into a d16.. they aren't fast.
I spent 700 dollars on my setup, and it was a pretty a fast street monster. hung with a lot of quick cars (of course it isnt going 12-11's, but neither is a stock b16, right?)

Well they are fast but will blow up soon afterwards.
mine lasted over a year on 14 pounds :)

just take ur time to find a cheap b16 block and keep it inside your garage and build it slowly. Try to find deals on parts that people are selling. Don't just go out and buy something only to realize that 1 week later someone sold the same thing for 1/2 the price.

My choice would be a boosted B16. Can't go wrong with them.
you also cant go wrong with a k24 turbo. youre comparing apples to oranges. stock swap vs d16 turbo, the turbo car will be more fun to drive. i know from experience.

and remember like i said... Take ur time finding parts. It will take alot of patience and time to find the parts for less money but they are out there. It has saved me over 2K just in my suspension. There aren't too many people that can find Tein Flex coilovers brand new in the box (not stolen) for 500. They alone saved me 900

do what you want to do, i've done both and i enjoyed the turbo single cam MUCH more than the stock swap. sure the swap was cool, but it was only cool around town. 14 pounds w/o vtec > stock vtec :P

Keeper1343
06-17-2008, 09:36 PM
u act like its a huge job to put a b16 in a car... Its not like its a K20 or H22. I am saying that he is gonna get tired of the power pretty quick. Then to upgrade he is going to have to put alot more money into it to go faster... I am the type of person that will get a good platform to build off of and leave alot of room for advancment. You know like have your car able to stop that type of speed first before you do the work on the car.

pearl
06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
it isnt hard to put in there, but the cost of boosting a single cam is most likely MUCH cheaper than buying a complete and LEGIT swap to put in a car. with less money youll run faster than a stock b16 swap (I bought my legit b16 swap for 1400, i pieced my turbo kit together for 700 dollars)

that is all im saying :)

(granted i dont think he has a d16 in the car, so this is completely useless to the owner)

Loserkidwac
06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Why no love for the LS motor (B18a/B18b) :)...any ways EF swaps are easy but not always cost effective...my opinion the B16 is the most over priced/over hyped motor and I would never waste the money on it...I'd say if you swap...pick up a B16 swap and grab and LS block and do an LS/Vtec(the right way please) will make it much more worth while to do the swap..I say get the whole swap cause you will get the closer geared B16 trans which would go nice with the LS/V...

I will agree with pearl the turbo D16 is really the best bang for your buck...My CRX has been turbo D16, LS, and LS-T and I owned a B16 CRX for a short time too...all in all the LS-T has been the most fun, the Turbo D was the cheapest and still made good power...I don't know why people hate on the D so much...at a certain point you aren't going to be getting traction anyways...

Munky
06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
<~~~Running a LS/Vtec Turbo setup in my 94 Hatch...Best damn thing next to a K-series swap. As for what you should do...before even thinking of swaps or turbos...about 10 kill switches and 2 separate alarms. :thumbup: