PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a used uprated ECU

Raven18940
09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
And I got it for a steal too, only $175. This would boost my power from 250 to 300 and torque from 256 to an earth shattering 337 with over 300 lb-ft at just 2500 rpms. Unfornately this ECU also requires a downpipe upgrade and new turbo delivery pipe. What would be the ill effects of using an ecu like this without the hardware to support it?

igo4bmx
09-26-2005, 01:22 PM
how did they up your power so high? does it just provide more aggresive timing and a/f values?
the new downpipe probably is meant to help with exhaust flow... since it prolly adds more fuel in the fuel maps, u prolly need a larger downpipe to compensate and allow better exhaust flow...

larger exhaust piping helps lean out a/f...

Raven18940
09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
To start off Saabs are rather underrated from to factory. How do they get the power up, more aggressive timing and A/F ratios and specifically more boooost.

TehWagon
09-26-2005, 02:46 PM
i'm no expert, but i'd be real skiddish about putting an ecu on your car that's not tuned for your car specifically, even if you get teh recommended mods its tuned for... anyone else?

igo4bmx
09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
i'm no expert, but i'd be real skiddish about putting an ecu on your car that's not tuned for your car specifically, even if you get teh recommended mods its tuned for... anyone else?

agreed
every car is different, and when you always add more aggresive ignition and fuel maps, you might want to install a wideband....

freddietvo
09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Post edited by alachua: Please treat other members with respect when replying to posts.

Raven18940
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
That's the thing, the Saab ecu is a very smart computer. I can dynamically alter boost, ignition, and fueling all on the fly. If the intake charge gets to hot it'll cut back the boost, same if it can't get enough air. It's really clever. And to be fair this is a Stage 3 cookie cutter ECU, not a tuned one and it came out of a car just like mine. Though I will preceed with an air of caution.

SilverBulletRL
09-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Raven, what kind of transmission does the 9-5 use? Is it the F35?

igo4bmx
09-27-2005, 07:48 AM
That's the thing, the Saab ecu is a very smart computer. I can dynamically alter boost, ignition, and fueling all on the fly. If the intake charge gets to hot it'll cut back the boost, same if it can't get enough air. It's really clever. And to be fair this is a Stage 3 cookie cutter ECU, not a tuned one and it came out of a car just like mine. Though I will preceed with an air of caution.

just wondering, how can you adjust boost, ignition and fuel on the fly?
I've never heard of a stock ecu that could do that

Raven18940
09-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Raven, what kind of transmission does the 9-5 use? Is it the F35?
Nah, the F25.

Saab ECU's are probably the most overengineered computer ever. It's a double edged sword as well, the car runs great on it's own, but traditional methods of tuning don't really work. Like I can't use a boost controller, the ECU will have a fit. Also a lot of hardware upgrades don't make the car faster, the ecu throttles back the boost so it makes the same power. :(

igo4bmx
09-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Nah, the F25.

Saab ECU's are probably the most overengineered computer ever. It's a double edged sword as well, the car runs great on it's own, but traditional methods of tuning don't really work. Like I can't use a boost controller, the ECU will have a fit. Also a lot of hardware upgrades don't make the car faster, the ecu throttles back the boost so it makes the same power. :(

you didn't state how you can tune the fuel and ignition and boost on the fly.

SilverBulletRL
09-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Nah, the F25.

The ecu in the Red Line is the same way (Red Line is pretty much identicle power-train wise to the Saab 9-3). In fact, if you look on the head of my motor, it says Saab right on it. Psi-Fi was able to get around a lot of the DTCs on my car when upping the boost from 12psi to 17-18psi... maybe you should have them take gander at your vehicle.

TehWagon
09-27-2005, 08:36 AM
i still have the same question as james... how is it that you can tune / adjust the ecu? to me, from what i've been able to learn so far, a very smart ecu means that it would work against the mods you have and 'learn' things to make the car revert back to the way it's 'supposed' to run... ?

Intercooled T
09-27-2005, 09:04 AM
my ecu does the same thing, by burning the correct chip for it, you can adjust shift points, boost, not sure about fuel pressure, but lots of little things...

TehWagon
09-27-2005, 09:06 AM
how do you go about 'burning' a chip?

MuddyREX
09-27-2005, 09:32 AM
That's the thing, the Saab ecu is a very smart computer. I can dynamically alter boost, ignition, and fueling all on the fly.
I think what he meant to say was that the Saab ecu is so smart that IT can adjust the fuel/timing/etc on the fly. The same way most ECU's work.

Matches work great. :mrgreen:

TehWagon
09-27-2005, 09:34 AM
even though you didn't answer my question, i award you 7 points for a well constructed post. :wink:

MuddyREX
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I think that by burning an ECU, he basically means a reflash.

TehWagon
09-27-2005, 09:38 AM
wouldn't you need some sort of engine management like an ap to at least plug in to do that? (my main question is how to modify an ecu w/o em?)

igo4bmx
09-27-2005, 09:38 AM

Ash
here is how the honda world does it for now...
you start out with a stock obd1 honda ecu (preferrably a p28 ecu which has vtec controls)
http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/images/ecub4desolder.jpg
desolder the holes
http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/images/ecudesoldered.jpg
install and solder rom rom chips, capacitors, a resistor, and a zif socket to hold the rom chip
http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/images/socketsinstalled2.jpg

then you get a ROMulator (acts like a rom chip) hook it up to your ecu and run a fuel tuning system like below:
http://home.mn.rr.com/keebler65/honda/images/nonboostmap.jpg
fortunately, the honda world has alot of free tuning applications.... :supz:

once you're done setting timing, and fuel, (with the use of a wideband, understanding volumetric efficiency, spark plug examination.. etc etc)
you copy the file you created with the software to the ROM chip (aka burning the chip)

this is how my car is running.... all on a $2 rom chip :o

the mike
09-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I do believe that gets the "technical explanation of the day" award.

TehWagon
09-27-2005, 10:35 AM
:eek: of the month, maybe even the year!
wow. A+++

igo4bmx
09-27-2005, 11:18 AM
next month will be a tutorial on how to tune a motor (esp a honda/acura)

teh DIRT
09-27-2005, 11:43 AM
okay so after reading that i hate you. 2 dollars for engine management. diE!

igo4bmx
09-27-2005, 12:05 PM
okay so after reading that i hate you. 2 dollars for engine management. diE!

well the tuning software im running cost me $100 dollars,
but has tons of feature

Raven18940
09-27-2005, 01:29 PM
i still have the same question as james... how is it that you can tune / adjust the ecu? to me, from what i've been able to learn so far, a very smart ecu means that it would work against the mods you have and 'learn' things to make the car revert back to the way it's 'supposed' to run... ?
Exactly, so I have to pay some one who's very smart a great deal of money to decode the ECU programming, tweak it, and then re-encode it so that the way it' 'supposed' to run is a bit more...fun. :)
I can't, the ecu can. Most cars vary the fuel and ignition timing at low throttle angles and then revert to predetermined tables when you go WOT. The Trionic 7 (Saab ecu) is varying it constantly for optimum performance.
The ecu in the Red Line is the same way (Red Line is pretty much identicle power-train wise to the Saab 9-3). In fact, if you look on the head of my motor, it says Saab right on it. Psi-Fi was able to get around a lot of the DTCs on my car when upping the boost from 12psi to 17-18psi... maybe you should have them take gander at your vehicle.
That's cause it's a Saab engine with a Trionic 8 ecu, all chevy did was take off the turbo and bolt on a supercharger. Thanks for the tip on Psi-Fi, it's hard to find someone who can tune a new Saab.