PDA

View Full Version : MSP opinons

MTuning
06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi, ive been doing the honda thing for the past 5 years so i know the in and outs of them but i'm a novice when it comes to proteges. My dad had a 1995 1.8L and my sister owns a 2003. Driven them but nothing really hands on or hard driving. I'm looking at a 03 MSP, loved them since they came out. I just went on the MSP forum, read their problems/solution thread (http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50549) and wow, it makes me a bit nervous especially the factory exhaust breaking off, transmission problems and suspension noise. All that is factory problems? Im done modding for a while after my car sells and putting down the wrench for a bit. I know the bug will bite again so i'm worried. Can i get some personal experiences from owners? thanks in advance.

BradC
06-08-2008, 09:31 AM
They are really fun cars to drive, but I hear you on the problems listed in that thread. I read that entire thread (and the whole damn forum) before I picked mine up new. I was a little put off and worried about these "issues", but to me its been a non-issue.

Here's my car's little history with these, broken down in category like that thread. Anything I skip over, I've never had an issue with...

Hesitation - ****ty Mazda ECU maps. Threw a Unichip on, no more hesitation :) Runs like a champ
Broken IC pipes - never had an issue, but now have hard pipes and an FMIC anyways
Brittle hoses - stock hoses suck balls. I have about 90% of them replaced with silicone, much better. I also rerouted the vac lines so it makes sense.

Tranny issues - never had any. Welded the stock LSD for piece of mind.

"Clunk" - rear sway bar bushings replaced under warr. No more clunk.
Grind - bushings up front replaced under warr, no more squeek.

Radio lockup - never had an issue. I am on my second stock HU though, due to the first one being stolen, at the dealer lot in Young :(
Blown stock sub - stockie sucked, blew twice. Replaced with JL 8w3v2d2
Parking light alarm issue - happened once, replaced alarm brain (this is when my car was broken into, at the dealers lot getting the warr work done).

I've owned my car since 04 (bought new by me) and in the 68k I've owned it, it only saw the dealer for warr work 3 times. (bushing front and rear, sub) (alarm) (had the steering wheel replaced because my rough-ass hands f'ed the leather).

You don't show your location in your profile, but if your close and you just want to check one out in person, let me know....

MTuning
06-08-2008, 12:24 PM
huh, didn't know they had lsd. any noise from welding it? thank you for your input btw, i REALLY appreciate it. I'm actually pretty close to you. If you know "Just cruisin" in harleysville that's where the MSP is. that's another thing that worries me, i've known them since they were just in one building and wow have their service declined. I'll definitely look over all those problems when i'm there. Its definitely going to be a fun car to drive but i'm not looking to have my exhaust break off or upgrading anytime soon haha.

BradC
06-08-2008, 04:34 PM
huh, didn't know they had lsd. any noise from welding it? thank you for your input btw, i REALLY appreciate it. I'm actually pretty close to you. If you know "Just cruisin" in harleysville that's where the MSP is. that's another thing that worries me, i've known them since they were just in one building and wow have their service declined. I'll definitely look over all those problems when i'm there. Its definitely going to be a fun car to drive but i'm not looking to have my exhaust break off or upgrading anytime soon haha.

Go drive the car at Just Cruising then come drive mine.

I personally wouldn't buy that car (silver one, right?). Compare the front end to the front of a stock MSP. You can see the little bars that hold the grille on. That silver car is missing the grill and the plastic **** was hacked off. People only do that to flaunt an FMIC, and I didn't see one on that car (ie - someeone slapped a bunch of parts on it, the stripped it/parted it out)...who knows what else was done to it/done wrong/beat, etc, etc.

If you want to look at that one because you need to trade a car in, come look at mine sometime anyways so you can have a benchmark for how they drive in good shape...

FlashFive
06-13-2008, 06:48 PM
i am a fan of the msp's, and from many people I have talked to who own one they are very satisfied with it overall, dont worry tooo much about the issues that the forum had up, odds are most of that stuff wont ever happen to you. personally i think the msp is one of the most underrated cars out there (that goes for the pro5 too!) not to mention one of the last really good looking import cars to come over from japan, now they all look very "americanized" to me.

Caclytn
06-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Whats the gas mileage? Never thought that would be a concern when looking at cars. But with using 93, I'm looking at $100 more a month in gas if the mileage isn't around 30 mph.

BradC
06-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Whats the gas mileage? Never thought that would be a concern when looking at cars. But with using 93, I'm looking at $100 more a month in gas if the mileage isn't around 30 mph.

Depends on how you drive. You can hit 30mpg, or, you can boost all day and hit 20mpg....

bmatyeah
06-17-2008, 07:54 AM
i love these cars. Last night i really got to drive one on some twisty roads, it came alive. Plus they are rare cars, it makes it unique. For some reason this area has the most msp's.

Outlawstar98
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
i love these cars. Last night i really got to drive one on some twisty roads, it came alive. Plus they are rare cars, it makes it unique. For some reason this area has the most msp's.
yeah alot of people do have them in PA for some odd reason.

But for me and my MSP, almost had her for a year and nothing wrong besides the Wastegate going bad. and my EGR being dirty, but its easy to clean.

SpEcRv9
06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

wonder if you drove the same one i did :lol: ....when i drove justinlansdale's car i liked it alot...alot alot, and it made me more upset that i never got one when i was looking at them a few years ago....great daily driver...power when you need it, nothing too much to the point where its unnecessary for everyday use....reminded me of my car sorta. but boosted and looks better haha.